TEXAS STILL SUCKS

jsharr

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

a pressed on Shark Bite

I only used those once at my old home.   A copper pipe failed, corrosion from the sulfur in the water (not cold) and the joint I needed to sweat was in a horrible location.  So I made the connection with Shark Bite connectors.  I was always concerned that they could fail.  

• Heart 1

Glad you are home.  My friends in TX who were without power are up and running again too.  Glad you also had friends who let you stay and who came to help you with the repairs.  People are what make any place good and it sounds like you have some very nice people around you.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, so what is wrong with TX?  I know the traffic sucks and it is as hot and humid as gorilla balls in a sauna and you don't really have a football team and all, but there has to be a reason that people live there.

What is the deal?

We are inbred and stupid and we act like it is great to fool ourselves and others to joining us in this God forsaken Country.

Davey Crockett summed it up best years ago, just before he came here to be executed by the Mexicans at The Alamo.

Image result for you may go to hell and i will go to texas

• Haha 1

@jsharrSorry man. I really had no idea shit could get so bad from cold weather, snow, and ice. I've never lived in the south. In the north, we just call this winter, ski season, or Monday. I hope you come through this okay, it seems like you have it under control. It will certainly cost Texans a lot. That sucks. Stay strong.

Leadership matters. Abbott kicked the can, crazy ass mayor Boyd went bonkers and quit, and Cruz(his house was cold) fled to Cancun. WTF?

"No one owes you [or] your family anything; nor is it the local government's responsibility to support you during trying times like this!" he said. "Sink or swim it's your choice! The City and County, along with power providers or any other service owes you NOTHING! I'm sick and tired of people looking for a damn handout." 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

These are the times that try men's souls.   Adversity can bring out the best or worst in us.  Tonight I encouraged our youth Scout leaders to check with the Scouts in their patrols to see how they were doing, if they neeeded help that our Scouts could give.   I sent the same message to the parents in our troop and called a church elder to see if our Scouts could shovel the snow for the church to hold their outdoor service on Sunday.

When I could not find caps to solder onto the busted pipe, I posted on our neighborhood facebook page and within minutes had more than I needed.   

Sadly, the good stories don't get told enough, and the bad ones do.  That mayor needs to be run out of town and Cruz as well, if this is really a spur of the moment trip and not something planned long ago.  Even if planned long ago, you stay and fight with and for your people, you don't leave.

We do not build to handle 120 hours of frigid temps.  Freezing we can handle but zero is different.   Had temps stayed in the 20s I think we would have been okay, or is only 2/3's of the state was affected.  Problem is that our big cities of Austin, San Antonio and Houston all got the same thing as Dallas got and that overloaded our system.

I figured the Scout leader in you would shine. That is the kind of leadership that will bring Texas through this. Politicians will look to blame others. Stay Strong.

• Heart 4

14 hours ago, jsharr said:

But at least I am in my own home with power and water.   I am blessed to have some awesome friends, both real and imaginary.  I thank you all for your well wishes and laughter inducing posts during what has been a crazy week.

Tomorrow I will shower and go back to my office I hope.  Letting the hot water heater play catch up tonight.

That and I have a 7 pm Scout call, during which call my coffee mug may contain rum, but I will still pretend to blow on it like it was full of hot coffee.

Water heater.  You don't heat HOT water.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Water heater.  You don't heat HOT water.  

I guess "technically", it depends where you draw the line on cold, warm, and then hot.  I assume a water heater recirculates the water in the tank as it slowly cools?  That water is likely at least "warm" and maybe even "hot", just not quite as hot as the thermostat is set for?

Tankless water heaters definitely fit your comment, though!

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I guess "technically", it depends where you draw the line on cold, warm, and then hot.  I assume a water heater recirculates the water in the tank as it slowly cools?  That water is likely at least "warm" and maybe even "hot", just not quite as hot as the thermostat is set for?

Tankless water heaters definitely fit your comment, though!

It's still not a HOT water heater.  It's a WATER HEATER!!!

Just now, Parr8hed said:

It's still not a HOT water heater.  It's a WATER HEATER!!!

But sometimes it is just heating hot water, so, in theory at least, is can sometimes be both a water heater AND a hot water heater!  It's mind boggling, but it can happen!

52 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Can  you really blame Bill for some of his indiscretions?

No.  Hillary is...something or other.  I bet she was bitchy as hell to Bill, although it was a good strategic move to stay with him to advance her political options during his whoring it up with interns stage, which may have been a bit extended.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, jsharr said:

Tonight I encouraged our youth Scout leaders to check with the Scouts in their patrols to see how they were doing, if they neeeded help that our Scouts could give.   I sent the same message to the parents in our troop and called a church elder to see if our Scouts could shovel the snow for the church to hold their outdoor service on Sunday.

Truly, how awesome is this?  No doubt the Scouts' families are in similar predicaments as jsharr, yet there is equally as little doubt that if called upon all of them would pitch in - cheerfully and energetically - to help someone else in need or another organization in need.  And no doubt that the Scouts had reached out to their neighbors individually, already.  It's where the investment in time by the Scout leaders and examples they give through their character are reflected and multiplied through the Scouts they mentor.

This is how Texas will get back on its feet - thousands upon thousands of small acts of generosity, kindness, selflessness - people helping their neighbors despite whatever difficult situation in which they presently find themselves.

Which, in turn, provides proof that Texas does not suck and even more so that people do not suck despite how much we might hear to the contrary (as jsharr so accurately points out).  I contend that the vast majority of people are basically good and the proof is exemplified in the way people band together to help each other in difficult times.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Truly, how awesome is this?  No doubt the Scouts' families are in similar predicaments as jsharr, yet there is equally as little doubt that if called upon all of them would pitch in - cheerfully and energetically - to help someone else in need or another organization in need.  And no doubt that the Scouts had reached out to their neighbors individually, already.  It's where the investment in time by the Scout leaders and examples they give through their character are reflected and multiplied through the Scouts they mentor.

This is how Texas will get back on its feet - thousands upon thousands of small acts of generosity, kindness, selflessness - people helping their neighbors despite whatever difficult situation in which they presently find themselves.

Which, in turn, provides proof that Texas does not suck and even more so that people do not suck despite how much we might hear to the contrary (as jsharr so accurately points out).  I contend that the vast majority of people are basically good and the proof is exemplified in the way people band together to help each other in difficult times.

Look, that is nice and all, but Texas still sucks, maybe just not in all caps.  

My SiL has a sister in Texas.  Mid 70's, lives alone on a ranch.  No electric or heat, running out of food and water.  She put a "can anyone check on my sister" post on social media, by the end of the day her drive was plowed, she had food and water.

The Texas gummint might have screwed the pooch (or whatever they likewise do to dogies down there) but the people are gittin it done

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2