What was the last good deed you have done for someone?

We had an older resident named Pirkle who was always getting arrested for trespassing. Military veteran, dementia, homeless.

I was leaving work at midnight in late March and saw Pirkle walking down the hill from our county jail. Technically it's against our policy to be with recent detainees but it was freezing cold.

I picked him up, he cursed me because he thought he was being arrested. :)

I drove him to In Town Country Suites and got him a room for a week. Loaded up his fridge with non cooking foods.
He still hated me...... I was OK with that.

I was at work in July when I read the coroner's report where he had been found dead in a warehouse somewhere on the other side of town.

God speed Pirkle.

• Heart 1

Was at the pharmacy recently to pick up a scrip. A lady in front of us was having some difficulty with her prescriptions for her kids; didn't have the money to pay for them all. So she made a decision to buy one and put the others back. As she was leaving my wife asked the pharmacist how much the scrips that the lady left behind were. I smiled and said yes, we'll pay for them. We wanted to anonymous about it so that it wasn't awkward for her. But they called the lady back to give them to her before we could leave and she was so astounded that she just kept thanking us. It was truly cool.

Peace.

• Heart 4

This reminds me that on the way to SeaBase this year, Wade and I stopped for breakfast.  We were in our scout uniforms as that is how we are supposed to travel to and from any camp, and as we were eating an elderly couple came in.  He was in a walker and wearing a US Coast Guard retired hat.  Wade and I paid for their breakfast without them knowing, then on our way out, stopped at their table and thanked him for his service.  They still had no idea that we had paid for their breakfast.

• Heart 2

This reminds me that on the way to SeaBase this year, Wade and I stopped for breakfast.  We were in our scout uniforms as that is how we are supposed to travel to and from any camp, and as we were eating an elderly couple came in.  He was in a walker and wearing a US Coast Guard retired hat.  Wade and I paid for their breakfast without them knowing, then on our way out, stopped at their table and thanked him for his service.  They still had no idea that we had paid for their breakfast.

Nice, we did something similar last weekend. We had dinner at a local place and at the table behind us was an Army soldier and his wife. We overheard them talking and he had just returned after being deployed for nine months. We asked our waitress to let us know how much their dinner bill would be and that we would pay it, but she had to keep it hush. The looks on their faces when they asked for their bill and she told them someone had already paid it was priceless.

• Heart 1

My daughter lives in Florida and works as a social worker for Hospice.  She told me about a man in his late 80's who loves to read, but as he recently became ill he couldn't get to the library any more.  She asked me if I had any books that I could loan him so he'd have something to read.

I think I've got over 500 books, maybe close to 600, so I figured I could spare a few.  My daughter said she could take back about 6 or 7 in her carry on luggage.  So I dug out about 10, including several that I counted among my favorites because I thought he'd like them too, and let her pick which she thought her patient might like best.

She said his face lit up when he saw the books, and again when she told them they were his to keep if he wanted them.  He said "It looks like I've got enough to keep me busy for a month!"

In a month's time, my daughter and I will form our own little book conspiracy to see what else we might cook up.

I was at the post office last week.  Three people were ahead of me with one at the counter.  No USPS employees could be seen.  The clerk came out, she was getting something for the guy at the counter.  He stepped to the side to fill out some paperwork.  Next person goes up with a package to mail.  The lady in front of me was probably 80 and had a cane.  I could tell that being on her feet was getting to her.  The young guy in front of her should have let her go ahead but he was oblivious. I left the queue and grabbed a chair from the passport photo area and gave it to the lady in front of me.  Good karma in the bank!

• Heart 1

I was at the post office last week.  Three people were ahead of me with one at the counter.  No USPS employees could be seen.  The clerk came out, she was getting something for the guy at the counter.  He stepped to the side to fill out some paperwork.  Next person goes up with a package to mail.  The lady in front of me was probably 80 and had a cane.  I could tell that being on her feet was getting to her.  The young guy in front of her should have let her go ahead but he was oblivious. I left the queue and grabbed a chair from the passport photo area and gave it to the lady in front of me.  Good karma in the bank!

:-)

Very cool.