What did the french ever do for you?

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Pasteurized milk. 

They were also a major contributor  to the development  of the  Holstein Friesian cattle.  My family on my grandfathers side maintained the first official herdbook for the cattle in Europe.  Many of those records are still with members of our family in Europe.

Holstein Friesian cattle

• Heart 1

Dijon mustard....made with Canadian mustard seeds.  Seriously, we went to the Dijon mustard museum and shop in Dijon, France. And there it was, a display steel pail with several cups of raw mustard seed spilling out.  I think Dijon wants tourist biz from Canadian tourists. 

About Maille

Canada's prairies produce enough mustard seeds for billions of jars each year | CBC Canada 2017

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

French toast, French fries, French onion soup...

I love dry French wines, the cheap blend Beaujolais with it's fruit tones especially - it's one of the few wines where aging is bad for it. Cabernet Sauvignon if Beaujolais isn't available. When in France, ordering a special red wine instead of the house wine is a waste of money: they're fantastic everywhere.

A lot of our nuclear power plant technology is borrowed from the French.  When I was there in 1998, 75% of French electricity and nuclear-generated and they've had only one minor leak problem I know of.

Note that French fries are actually a Belgian invention where the potatoes are fried in the French manner.  So I guess it's still French-based.

I had excellent French onion soup in an outdoor cafe on top of Montmartre, the highest hill in Paris where the Sacre Coeur church and the big artists' village is. So that's probably of French origin.  Of course, I had Paella at Chez Freddie's in Cannes on the French Riviera and that's a dish from relatively nearby-Spain, so their restaurant dishes do borrow from other cuisines.

French toast.  It's usually got vanilla and cinnamon so it's probably really French, too.  Damn, I should have had that for breakfast today.  Maybe lunch.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Dijon mustard....made with Canadian mustard seeds.  Seriously, we went to the Dijon mustard museum and shop in Dijon, France. And there it was, a display steel pail with several cups of raw mustard seed spilling out.  I think Dijon wants tourist biz from Canadian tourists. 

About Maille

Is Dijon better than gay poop on?

• Confused 1

I should also point out that locally. in Baltimore and between Baltimore and Annapolis, we have a "Fayette Street" and a "Veterans Highway" so-named ever since the Marquis de LaFayette led troops from the South to join Washington in Pennsylvania in the 1770's.

We do owe France a lot for help with military leadership and organization and for providing standardized arms for Washington's Army.  Of course, there's also the Statue of Liberty, a gift from France.

When the American Army landed and marched into France in 1917 to join the British and French allies, they stopped at Lafayette's tomb and, with General Pershing in attendance, Colonel Charles E. Stanton cried out, "Lafayette, nous sommes ici!" - Lafayette, we are here!

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Note that French fries are actually a Belgian invention where the potatoes are fried in the French manner.  So I guess it's still French-based.

Yeah the Dutch & Belgians are bonkers over their frites. Dutch call them patat frites while the Belgians call them the more French sounding pomme frites. 

I betcha didn’t know the Dutch mercilessly bag on the Belgians.   Like the stupid polish jokes we grew up with back in the day....  How many Belgians does it take to screw in a light bulb? None, they are too dumb to have electricity ha ha ha...  Belgians are so cheap they use both sides of the TP!!!  

Why is that funny again? Because it is ha ha ha.  Uh OK cuz...

Statue of Liberty and some pretty nifty bike races.

Marquis de Lafayette

Lots of nifty composers including Bizet who is the source for a billion skating porgrams

the French Impressionist exhibit at the Met.

Founded the University of Notre Dame