Reports from the road

Airehead

Personally, it seems to me I'd have much less control when turning if I had my hands at 8 and 4 at the beginning of the turn.

A quick google and there's clearly a lot of debate: some favoring 10 & 2, some 8 & 4.

For example: Drivaandstayalive.com says: Some so-called experts are recommending 8 & 4 on the basis that it reduces the chance of injury if a collision occurs and the driver’s airbag fires but this is highly inadvisable as it creates much more danger than it might eliminate...Holding the wheel at “8 & 4” not only encourages lazy driving, with the arms resting on the driver’s thighs or lap, but it also significantly reduces a driver’s ability to steer accurately and swiftly in the event of an emergency.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Personally, it seems to me I'd have much less control when turning if I had my hands at 8 and 4 at the beginning of the turn.

A quick google and there's clearly a lot of debate: some favoring 10 & 2, some 8 & 4.

For example: Drivaandstayalive.com says: Some so-called experts are recommending 8 & 4 on the basis that it reduces the chance of injury if a collision occurs and the driver’s airbag fires but this is highly inadvisable as it creates much more danger than it might eliminate...Holding the wheel at “8 & 4” not only encourages lazy driving, with the arms resting on the driver’s thighs or lap, but it also significantly reduces a driver’s ability to steer accurately and swiftly in the event of an emergency.

I guess I am lazy because my normal driving is more like 7 and 5 or often just 5.  I only use 10 and 2 when stretching or very briefly for a change.  9 and 3 are good.   I like the old style Honda steering wheels that had the spokes at like 7 and 8 and 4 and 5 instead of the new T style at 9,6, and 3.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Both AAA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommend 8 o’clock and 4 o’clock. Or slightly higher at 9 and 3. This is for cars with airbags.

So should we drive to maintain best control of the vehicle or use the best hand position for a crash.  Government edicts can be so strange at times.

• Heart 4

I have a 2013 Honda Fit with 57.3 cu.ft max. of cargo space and I wish I had more at time.  The larger CX-5 has 59.6 cu.ft. max.

I really like my sister's Honda CR-V, about the same price as a CX-5 with 75.8 cu.ft. max cargo space and 30 combined mpg vs 26 for the CX-5 and Edmund's Long Term Road Tests had an avg. 27.5 and best mpg of 38.9 with the CR-V and an avg. of 19.9 and 24.6 with the CX-5.  Both were said to be weak in acceleration but when merging on interstates, etc. it is adequate.  The CR-4 has 40.1" front headroom and the CX-5 has 39.3", both of which I, 6'3" would be comfortable in: cars with 38" like the small Fords and Chevys have my hare pressed against the ceiling.

Of course, it depends on what you're going to do with the car.

Edmunds and U.S. News and World Report both ranked the CR-V #1 and the CX-5 #2 in Best Compact SUV's.  Car & Driver likes the CX-5 better.  So I don't think you go far wrong with either one.

Personally I love the Fit: it was one of Consumer Reports "Most Fun to Drive" cars as well as its "Best Bang for the Buck Car" from 2009 through 2013. And it's small enough to maneuver everywhere.  The HR-V is between the discontinued Fit and CR-V and has the magic rear seats where the horizontal seat tilts up creating  a wide space from floor-to-sealing from door-to-door.  But it doesn't have any better mileage than the CR-V, only has 57.6 cu.ft max cargo space.  I love how easy it is to transport my bike with the magic seats:

934640239_04.BikeinFit-RearUP.thumb.jpg.670a24a527148cf9db4369bcbc8c1270.jpg 1899937915_07.BikeinFit-InCar.thumb.jpg.00ab2c3569624bd8ccacb547b559044e.jpg

• Heart 2

58 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I guess I am lazy because my normal driving is more like 7 and 5 or often just 5.  I only use 10 and 2 when stretching or very briefly for a change.  9 and 3 are good.   I like the old style Honda steering wheels that had the spokes at like 7 and 8 and 4 and 5 instead of the new T style at 9,6, and 3.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

So should we drive to maintain best control of the vehicle or use the best hand position for a crash.  Government edicts can be so strange at times.

Was it someone here when we were talking about concussions said they got a concussion when they hit something and the airbag went off? It also gave them a very black eye and a broken wrist? It might have been in rattlecan’s over fifty FB cycling group.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Was it someone here when we were talking about concussions said they got a concussion when they hit something and the airbag went off? It also gave them a very black eye and a broken wrist? It might have been in rattlecan’s over fifty FB cycling group.

It could be someone else but I got rear ended and the force of impact caused me to smack my head on the head rest causing a concussion.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Probably 12 to 14 weeks out to order it. 

Went with the Volvo?  :)

BMW had (has?) a plan where you go to Germany and "pick it up" there, then they ship it to you.  You get to drive it for a week or so.  Oddly the car is a lot less expensive, and the vacation essentially pays for itself.  I wish I had known.  I think Volvo does something similar.

I waited a pretty long time for my car.  I think I ordered in February and picked it up in June, it did get stuck in customs waiting for an airbag recall.

I'd definitely or a car again, I liked being able to pick exactly what I wanted.

• Heart 2

46 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

This is a big pet peeve of mine. WTF is w/ interior designers? They stick those screens there, and it looks like an after thought. Why can't they incorporate it into the dash? Pretty much all manufacturers do this. Hideous.

I’ve had some rental cars that had it built into the dash really nice. I don’t remember what the cars were. It was the only thing on the car I liked. One of them was some kind of Ford.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

This is a big pet peeve of mine. WTF is w/ interior designers? They stick those screens there, and it looks like an after thought. Why can't they incorporate it into the dash? Pretty much all manufacturers do this. Hideous.

I actually thought this one would go up and down but it did not. It felt awkward. 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

IMO for some things like navigation it's nice if it's up high where I don't have to take my eyes off the road.  I run waze on the phone and it's mounted up slightly above the lip of the dash, just low enough that no road above the hood line is blocked. (CT law)  I can see it at all times out of the corner of my eyes.

14 minutes ago, Airehead said:

No and you sound like my dad. He has one and thinks everyone should.  Reviews I saw of rav4 were not great. 

You could be correct.  My views are colored by having a Toyota dealer 1 1/2 miles away and the others about 30.  I'd drive one though before I believed the reviews.  The critics don't always seem to make a lot of sense to me.  Car and Driver for example nitpicks over leather wrapped steering wheels and shift knob.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

You could be correct.  My views are colored by having a Toyota dealer 1 1/2 miles away and the others about 30.  I'd drive one though before I believed the reviews.  The critics don't always seem to make a lot of sense to me.  Car and Driver for example nitpicks over leather wrapped steering wheels and shift knob.  

That has worked superbly for my mother, with the only local dealer being Toyota.  She is quite happy with them, and they love seeing her 2002 or so Corolla with like 30,000 miles and still in mint condition. :D But of course she is an old lady anyhoo, so Toyota would be a good choice for her regardless of dealer location.  It is very inconvenient for me that the Honda dealers are all a half hour away.  So Faarstone has become my default oil change and minor service location.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Dottles said:

CX-5's are horrible long distance cars to drive. Those bucket seats are wretched.

You’re wrong, but you’re not. I find the seats very comfortable. WoW doesn’t like them as well as our old 6 or even the Miata. I am equally comfortable in the CX5 or Miata. The 6 was not as comfortable on long drives. All were infinitely superior to GM seats. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, groupw said:

You’re wrong, but you’re not. I find the seats very comfortable. WoW doesn’t like them as well as our old 6 or even the Miata. I am equally comfortable in the CX5 or Miata. The 6 was not as comfortable on long drives. All were infinitely superior to GM seats. 

Yeah I had my models mixed up. But I do remember test driving CX-5s and questioning if their seats would work for me.

19 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If you decide to buy the Submarine I would suggest you don't get the optional screen doors.

a little Flex seal & you are GTG. 

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

No and you sound like my dad. He has one and thinks everyone should.  Reviews I saw of rav4 were not great. 

WoScrapr had a Rav4 & loved it. She fit really well in it & it wasn't too "big" for her to manuever. For me the cockpit was a bit small. I always felt cramped in it. Ohh...and it did not have Homelink GDO.  We were very disappointed when salesman was doing the walk through. Having a separate GDO was so '80's. that was my only beotch with the car really

• Heart 1