Whelp we survived the power outage

Longjohn

One of the things about a power outage that makes it even worse is the uncertainty of exactly how long the outage will last.  The assumed length of the outage can be a huge factor in a typical resident's required response to a power loss.  In hurricanes and other major events here on the SE coastline, the power might be out for just a few hours or it might last for several days.  Planning ahead for the worst case scenario several times a year gets old, but at least, modern technology provides us with ample warning, usually.

Glad to hear your outage was relatively brief, LJ.    :) 

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Clark said:

One of the things about a power outage that makes it even worse is the uncertainty of exactly how long the outage will last.  The assumed length of the outage can be a huge factor in a typical resident's required response to a power loss.  In hurricanes and other major events here on the SE coastline, the power might be out for just a few hours or it might last for several days.  Planning ahead for the worst case scenario several times a year gets old, but at least, modern technology provides us with ample warning, usually.s

Glad to hear your outage was relatively brief, LJ.    :) 

Twue.  We have someone on my block who starts up their gas engine generator so quickly after the power goes out that it almost seems like it must be automatic, But I never heared of an automatic startup generator that is that noisy.

I'll usually give it 4 or 5 hours before thinking aboot faaring up the generator, and then owl check the projected restoration time before doing anything rash. :)

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Twue.  We have someone on my block who starts up their gas engine generator so quickly after the power goes out that it almost seems like it must be automatic, But I never heared of an automatic startup generator that is that noisy.

I'll usually give it 4 or 5 hours before thinking aboot faaring up the generator, and then owl check the projected restoration time before doing anything rash. :)

We had one outage in the summer. It was a good practice outage because it was in the morning while Jocelyn was here. The oxygen generator quit working and the bed’s mattress  was going flat. We couldn’t change the position of the bed because that is all electric.

I had not fueled the generator because I figured I would do that when needed. That wasn’t a problem in the daylight but I wouldn’t want to try to do that in the dark. The generator stays fueled now.

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We had one outage in the summer. It was a good practice outage because it was in the morning while Jocelyn was here. The oxygen generator quit working and the bed’s mattress  was going flat. We couldn’t change the position of the bed because that is all electric.

I had not fueled the generator because I figured I would do that when needed. That wasn’t a problem in the daylight but I wouldn’t want to try to do that in the dark. The generator stays fueled now.

Running a portable generator in a hurricane or heavy rain is a problem. It seems like it should have a "doghouse" enclosure to keep the electric end dry, but it would need to be anchored, so one you roll it into with a floor would let the generator's weight anchor it. I guess you need to wait until after the rains stop.

Hmm, I guess you are not sposed to run it in the rain.  These things look pretty darn cheesy.

generator_rain.png

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

And thank goodness the PJM interconnection runs our grid pretty darn well. 

I'd suggest things are better now in the North than they were in the past.  How many here remember the 2003 blackout in the eastern states?   I do...     There were a lot of lessons learned that were not forgotten.  

Texas had a close call in 2011.   https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/tag/2011-blackouts/   Seems like they didn't learn from 2011.   

I remember that storm in 2011... BLIZZARD In IL   I worked about 5 days on a 12 midnight to 12 noon shift.  WoBG was trapped at home (with power) for the entire time.  I was staying at a hotel close to work.  I got home after my last shift and then I had to shoveled more then 2 feet of snow from the driveway, just to park the car and pass out for a few hours. 

We will see how this plays out now in Texas now...

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The generator stays fueled now.

I did that once...   Then 2 or 3 years later the gas was like sludge.   Yeah I forgot about the gas in the tank.   Now I always run my small engines dry and store them without gas.  I drain the generator fuel tank, after shut off the fuel to the engine and run the carb dry.

• Hugs 1

29 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I did that once...   Then 2 or 3 years later the gas was like sludge.   Yeah I forgot about the gas in the tank.   Now I always run my small engines dry and store them without gas.  I drain the generator fuel tank, after shut off the fuel to the engine and run the carb dry.

I run straight gas in all my small engines now. It seems to pretty much avoid that problem. I might drain the gas when it warms up. When I used the blended fuel crap they sell at the pumps it ruined the carburetors if you left it sit.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I run straight gas in all my small engines now. It seems to pretty much avoid that problem. I might drain the gas when it warms up. When I used the blended fuel crap they sell at the pumps it ruined the carburetors if you left it sit.

Where do you find gasoline withoot ethanol?

Uncle google says Lowe’s or airports. 

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Running a portable generator in a hurricane or heavy rain is a problem. It seems like it should have a "doghouse" enclosure to keep the electric end dry, but it would need to be anchored, so one you roll it into with a floor would let the generator's weight anchor it.  Maybe it is ok to let it all get soaked, it is an ootdoor electrical connection I spose, but it just doesn't seem to be that good an idea to mix water and electricity.  It is nice if you can wait until after the rains stop.

My front porch is all open so I just roll it out onto the porch and run the power cord in the window

2 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

I only use the ethanol-free gasoline when I am in an area where it is available.  For trips, check in advance for stations where you will be traveling.

Yeag, that site showed only 13 in all of nj. Most if not all of them airports. Can you get car gasoline at an airport?  Sounds to me like it would just be high octane avgas. 

22 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Where do you find gasoline withoot ethanol?

Uncle google says Lowe’s or airports. 

Just my luck the closest gas station to my house sells ethanol free gas from one of their pumps. They also have an off road diesel pump for diesels that are not being driven on the highway. No highway taxes charged. It’s right across the road from Lakeview highschool. It’s called Anchors Away. The pumps are not pay at the pump. You tell them how many gallons you want and pay inside.