I have decided not to buy a car

Further

I just had $1500 in suspension work done to my 1999 Dakota. There is some rust appearing in various area I need to address. Why? Because I didn’t see any newer pickups I want to/can afford spend money on right now. I couldn’t replace it for less than $1500 with anything better. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, groupw said:

. I couldn’t replace it for less than $1500 with anything better. 

Yep.

It's not worth a lot, but it runs well and I know all the maintenance has been done. If I spend a grand or two fixing this I know what I have. If I spend 3 or 5 grand on an unknown, used something I might be in worse shape than I am now.

And I like the car, so there is that.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

Passing inspection and not breaking in half when I hit a bump are the issues.

I knew a guy... who had an old small S10 sized pickup truck.  Then one day he had a full sized pickup truck that was just 2 or 3 years old.   I asked... Why?   he explained the frame broke in half from rust and the truck kind of folded down at the failure.   So that can happen....    Not sure if your unibody frame will fail as dramatically as a broken frame. 

12 minutes ago, Further said:

I imagine the door would start binding.

It may be my imagination but I hear more creaking now when putting the car in a twist over road irregularities. 

When Lindbergh was flying over the Atlantic he kept listening to the engine thinking of all the times the spark plugs had to fire, the valves had to open and close,,etc.  :D

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't understand why Honda dropped the car.  It's one of those intermable questions like why don't women wear miniskirts anymore and what happened to bell bottomed pants.

Honda is pretty quick to drop some cars. The del sol only lasted from 93-97, and they just kilt off the Fit. The S2000 didn’t last long either. 

11 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Honda is pretty quick to drop some cars. The del sol only lasted from 93-97, and they just kilt off the Fit. The S2000 didn’t last long either. 

I think it's an excuse for some board members to retain their jobs for being "innovating".  Around here there's a huge number of Fits on the road.  The Element was popular, but with more of a niche audience.  Still It was exactly what a utility box should be.

Toyota did that with the original XB "toaster".  It was popular as hell with a specific crowd so they turned it into a mini US SUV with more weight, bigger engine, less fuel economy and they revamped the styling, cutting down on the usable cargo loading opening in the back.

When I first started working construction, we didn't have a lot of money.  We test drove an older truck in a large parking lot.  It broke in half while we were driving it.  The seller was an older guy, he was furious and insisted we did something.  We were only going 10mph.  We could barely breathe we were laughing so hard.  It was a massive rust bucket.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

When I first started working construction, we didn't have a lot of money.  We test drove an older truck in a large parking lot.  It broke in half while we were driving it.  The seller was an older guy, he was furious and insisted we did something.  We were only going 10mph.  We could barely breathe we were laughing so hard.  It was a massive rust bucket.

You broke it you bought it.

There was a farmer that had an old dump truck. One day he was hauling a load of lime across his field and the truck broke in half. He left it there for many years and just plowed around it. I guess that was his field ornament. It still had the limestone on it. We used to drive past it on the way to church.

36 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Not wanting  to buy another car, any excuse will do. You just want more time to decide. Sounds like channeling Petite...just don't want to admit it. :D

When my daughter was photographing the release of the Mazda CX30, she was talking to a Mazda executive. She was telling him about the brand loyalty to Mazda in our immediate family. She told him her parents had a CX5, Miata and a Dodge Dakota. She told him I would probably replace the Dakota if Mazda were to offer a new pickup. The executive paused, almost said something then just told her to hold that thought. I’m not hearing anything in the spy channels so far, but that would get me pushing numbers. 

• Heart 1