A couple of hitches on the house

Dirtyhip

I knew that things would never go perfectly.  

So the windows are several inches taller than the plans called for.  If the windows were installed to plan the heigh shifts enough that I would need a ladder to clean the top of the window, while standing on the inside of the house.

The headers are already installed, but there is still plenty of time to fix this back to plan.  Personally, I have no issue with this.  My husband pointed out that there would be a little less privacy with having them installed lower.  Right now, the sill is at around waist height.  I am getting wood blinds for the bedrooms. We might do thick blackout drapes for the big room.  

Our walls are really tall.  We have 9 foot walls, before you factor in the vaulted parts of the main living space.  

One window must be moved up.  It is the kitchen one, and it is sitting lower than the backspash would be.  

So many little details. But, I guess a window is a big detail.

Today, I get to pick out my cabinet sample from the guy making them.  I get to choose between three samples.  :D  

The two counter tops that I wavering between two:

https://elemaroregon.com/elequence/

Verona, or Mystic White.  I like Astoria Skies but I am concerned that a black counter is hard to make look clean on a daily basis.  

Do any of you have black counters?  Do you like them?

• Heart 1

Window height is always to be set to the door height for ascetics.  Use the same header on the windows you do on the door and let the bottom height float.  If you start messing with window height, even from one wall the another, you may create an unpleasant exterior.

Rules is rules...

Transom windows have to be considered differently.

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Window height is always to be set to the door height for ascetics.  Use the same header on the windows you do on the door and let the bottom height float.  If you start messing with window height, even from one wall the another, you may create an unpleasant exterior.

Rules is rules...

Transom windows have to be considered differently.

We have transom on both sides.  I do see what you are saying.  

51 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband pointed out that there would be a little less privacy with having them installed lower. 

And in out county... there are 'rules' for the inspector.  If windows are below a certain height, then the glass needs to be tempered glass.  I guess the lower the glass, the more likely it will be broken.

55 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

So many little details.

Now is the time to figure out exactly where you will have celling mounted lights installed.   I used the scale drawings for our house and 'installed' the tables, and other furniture on the drawings, all to scale.   Then I could measure the exact locations on the plan were the electrician needs to install the electrical boxes, wires, etc.. for all of the celling fixtures (lights and/or fans). 

And you should specify any 'unique' locations for other stiff like, electrical outlets, etc..   Before the framing is enclosed. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Now is the time to figure out exactly where you will have celling mounted lights installed.   I used the scale drawings for our house and 'installed' the tables, and other furniture on the drawings, all to scale.   Then I could measure the exact locations on the plan were the electrician needs to install the electrical boxes, wires, etc.. for all of the celling fixtures (lights and/or fans). 

And you should specify any 'unique' locations for other stiff like, electrical outlets, etc..   Before the framing is enclosed. 

We have determined this.  We have added and moved some things.

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

And in out county... there are 'rules' for the inspector.  If windows are below a certain height, then the glass needs to be tempered glass.  I guess the lower the glass, the more likely it will be broken.

My current home is not to code.  Many homes don't meet code in our old neighborhood.

I have single pane glass less than 18 inches off the floor of the sun porch.  

26 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Today, I get to pick out my cabinet sample from the guy making them.  I get to choose between three samples.  :D  

Verona, or Mystic White.  I like Astoria Skies but I am concerned that a black counter is hard to make look clean on a daily basis.  

I have a black kitchen island  10' x 4.5' in my apartment, and it only works for me because there are four LED lights suspended 30" directly above it. I like bright counters. The 2nd picture, with the sink is a better rendering of its true dark color. I don't know if it's the reflection - clearly visible in the top 2 pics - from the LED lights (bottom 2 pics), but it seems to show every streak I didn't wipe perfectly.

1018643012_20210222_095132900p.thumb.jpg.550958475a391b9ddf437678aab914f0.jpg 2096585411_20210222_094738900p.thumb.jpg.0277192ff6cade00bca8f806c1bf3d36.jpg

894250438_20210222_094908900p.thumb.jpg.f4fd7f045d1895f362ab73afac670470.jpg 75580213_20210222_095139900p.jpg.851c31ae2bb8d19121d349fec7e82f92.jpg

From your link, I like Verona - lighter and more cheerful to me  .Of course, it depends on how it's accented by your cabinets - show us your three possible choices when you get them.  We (always meaning my decor-knowledgeable sister's choice or confirmation - I'm slightly red-green colorblind) decided on gray cabinets and liked the laminate pattern below that's not very different from Verona.  We also considered a darker shade of marbling or that one and decided we liked the lighter one better.

The hint of blue in the Mystic White and the Gray in the Astoria Skies might work for me with the right cabinets, but I like a bright cabinet in general.

I had a laminate counter top and am arguing with my sister ("If I was buying the house from you, laminate countertops would turn me off.") - she wants me to upgrade to something like you're getting - but there's the question of pricing the resale value too high for the neighborhood.  I tell her, 9 years younger than me, she just wants to inherit a more valuable house. If it helps that much with resale, she and my brother can pay to upgrade it after I croak.

20210209_114254_900p.thumb.jpg.f38f753d95f87e47873aa7d6829ed3d8.jpg

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

131.79 kB · 0 downloads

I have a black kitchen island  10' x 4.5' in my apartment, and it only works for me because there are four LED lights suspended 30" directly above it. I like bright counters. The 2nd picture, with the sink is a better rendering of its true dark color. I don't know if it's the reflection - clearly visible in the top 2 pics - from the LED lights (bottom 2 pics), but it seems to show every streak I didn't wipe perfectly.

1018643012_20210222_095132900p.thumb.jpg.550958475a391b9ddf437678aab914f0.jpg 2096585411_20210222_094738900p.thumb.jpg.0277192ff6cade00bca8f806c1bf3d36.jpg

894250438_20210222_094908900p.thumb.jpg.f4fd7f045d1895f362ab73afac670470.jpg 75580213_20210222_095139900p.jpg.851c31ae2bb8d19121d349fec7e82f92.jpg

From your link, I like Verona - lighter and more cheerful to me  .Of course, it depends on how it's accented by your cabinets - show us your three possible choices when you get them.  We (always meaning my decor-knowledgeable sister's choice or confirmation - I'm slightly red-green colorblind) decided on gray cabinets and liked the laminate pattern below that's not very different from Verona.  We also considered a darker shade of marbling or that one and decided we liked the lighter one better.

The hint of blue in the Mystic White and the Gray in the Astoria Skies might work for me with the right cabinets, but I like a bright cabinet in general.

I had a laminate counter top and am arguing with my sister ("If I was buying the house from you, laminate countertops would turn me off.") - she wants me to upgrade to something like you're getting - but there's the question of pricing the resale value too high for the neighborhood.  I tell her, 9 years younger than me, she just wants to inherit a more valuable house. If it helps that much with resale, she and my brother can pay to upgrade it after I croak.

20210209_114254_900p.thumb.jpg.f38f753d95f87e47873aa7d6829ed3d8.jpg

The new laminate is not too ugly and cheap looking.  That stuff has came a long way.  This quartz counter has added several thousand dollars onto our build.  

I like that pic with the gray cabs and the marble looking sample.  I am going with whitewash custom cabs.  Kind of like this tray table.  

whitewash sample.jpg

We have a really dark gray almost black quartz counter.  It's not hard to keep clean, and we do beat the heck out of it.  We made sure the cabinet and flooring colors pulled some of the vein colors out of it, makes it look less overbearing.  careful with soo much contrast between cabinets and counter, one of them might look huge..  Go to Houzz.com, millions of pictures.

I really wouldn't worry about privacy concerns lowering the windows a couple inches, especially being out in the woods.  Those couple inches aren't going to make a difference  anyway when Square Wheels shows up with his "owl"

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

This is my countertop. It doesn’t show scuffs and wipes up easily enough. You can always tell when the flour has been used though. 

EE5A9588-F989-4A63-81B8-E68BF2CAF8F6.jpeg

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

131.79 kB · 0 downloads

I was thinking the same things about black counters.

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The new laminate is not too ugly and cheap looking.  That stuff has came a long way.  This quartz counter has added several thousand dollars onto our build.  

I like that pic with the gray cabs and the marble looking sample.  I am going with whitewash custom cabs.  Kind of like this tray table.  

whitewash sample.jpg

I really like that!  A darker countertop can work well with that!  Mystic White would be a great choice.

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

So the windows are several inches taller than the plans called for.

The headers are already installed, but there is still plenty of time to fix this back to plan. 

It would seem the 'easiest' fix would be to have the contractor order the correct size windows, since it sounds like the windows were properly specified on the plans.  If the builder says it will take time to order new ones, well, that shouldn't be your problem and it will take time for him to change all the window headers too.

Somebody goofed.  I would use the power of my purse and refuse to pay for an incorrect item.

But then again, I'm mean :angry::angry::angry::angry: like that. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I once lived in a place that only had one hitch. It was a mobile home.

I figured if there was a hitch, wheels are next. 

12 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I knew that things would never go perfectly.  

So the windows are several inches taller than the plans called for.  If the windows were installed to plan the heigh shifts enough that I would need a ladder to clean the top of the window, while standing on the inside of the house.

The headers are already installed, but there is still plenty of time to fix this back to plan.  Personally, I have no issue with this.  My husband pointed out that there would be a little less privacy with having them installed lower.  Right now, the sill is at around waist height.  I am getting wood blinds for the bedrooms. We might do thick blackout drapes for the big room.  

Our walls are really tall.  We have 9 foot walls, before you factor in the vaulted parts of the main living space.  

One window must be moved up.  It is the kitchen one, and it is sitting lower than the backspash would be.  

So many little details. But, I guess a window is a big detail.

We have black ceramic tile countertops. Been in use for over 20 years. I’ll find a picture without clutter. They look great (when uncovered) and have held up beautifully. 

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It would seem the 'easiest' fix would be to have the contractor order the correct size windows, since it sounds like the windows were properly specified on the plans.  If the builder says it will take time to order new ones, well, that shouldn't be your problem and it will take time for him to change all the window headers too.

Somebody goofed.  I would use the power of my purse and refuse to pay for an incorrect item.

But then again, I'm mean :angry::angry::angry::angry: like that. 

I meant the window holes.  The windows should be correct.  We had to approve the order.  They have not ordered transom yet.  We have 48 inch square shaped windows, everywhere. We have the two enormous sliders in the living room.  

The frame is being put in and we noticed the headers are different per plan.