I need goals

bikeman564™

for work, the new company (we're apart of another company now) has an online portal for employees which is pretty neat. All my pay stubs, W2 and such are on there. But "corporate" now has this goal thing where I &/or my manager need to set goals for me w/ due dates and what nots so they can be evaluated later. I have no goals :(

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

1.  I want a raise for this year

2.  I want a raise for next year

3.  I want to have free coffee in the cafe.

You can borrow my goals as I no longer need them since the company did away with my job

I thought of putting down #1 :)  

As I mentioned in another post, made them specific using action words.

Not applicable to your job, but for example you don't list a goal as, "Improve my vocabulary," you say "Learn and define 100 new words."

Then there's no way for someone to say you didn't meet your goal on time if you did the goal.

• Heart 1

For us, goals work.

With so many different areas you can choose to work towards, having goals set help you justify when asking for specific training or to attend specific conferences.

For me, when my subordinates have no goals,  it shows a lack of motivation.  I am a firm believer in "If you aren't moving forward, you are falling behind"

Goals do not have to be big lofty targets, just something to show you are learning something this year you did not know last year.

22 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I don't know how many times I have heard things like, "set goals", "use new metrics", "reevaluate priorities", .... It's like old is new again. I say let's lump it all under the 'Hawthorne effect' and get back to work.

I've never heard it here, but the company is different now.

!st quarter goal: deposit 25% of my yearly 401(k) contribution. into the account.

2nd quarter goal: deposit another 25% of my yearly 401(k) contribution. into the account.

3rd quarter goal: deposit another 25% of my yearly 401(k) contribution. into the account.

4th quarter goal: deposit another 25% of my yearly 401(k) contribution. into the account.

Whatever goals you select should be framed against (1) what you directly control, (2) what you can influence, and (3) what you cannot control or influence.

Ideally all your goals should be in the first category.

If you have to select goals from the second category, list what conditions must be met, what support you need and from whom, by when, and explicitly state without that support the goal cannot be met. 

Resist to the full extent of your ability any goals that fall into the third category.  If forced to accept category three goals, again list all the conditions under which that goal is contingent.  Whatever you do, do not set yourself up for failure by creating a goal where your success is entirely dependent upon other people or circumstances that do not and will not respond to you.  Do not accept goals for which all the responsibility is assigned to you, but an equal measure of authority is not given or provided.

Listing (i.e., documenting) those contingencies for category 2 and 3 goals - with approval of your manager - allows you to demonstrate when you don't meet a specific goal that the agreed upon conditions did not exist.  Since the conditions did not exist, still holding you to that goal is neither rational nor reasonable.  Most managers readily go along with this documentation because they've got their eyes on the goal and not the caveats/conditions.

Not that such documentation will provide an irrevocable defense come evaluation time, as we all know that 'rational and reasonable' often don't apply to HR policy and actions.  However, having the qualifications documented will make it more difficult to lay fault at your feet.  If nothing else it will may you a harder target for HR to zero in on, and make easier for them to move on to some poor slob who wasn't so careful in defining their pie-in-the-sky goals.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

That kind of goes without saying in our field of research. If you are not growing, you are not publishing, and professionally you die.

Research and academia obviously but the rest if the world doesn't have that requirement.  There are way too many people that can coast for years.  Coasting is just dying real, real slowly.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Research and academia obviously but the rest if the world doesn't have that requirement.  There are way too many people that can coast for years.  Coasting is just dying real, real slowly.

Only world I knew for 50+ years. Seems like work is just a ways to an end for many, that also have a very active life outside of work. Listening to some they put a great deal of effort into goals of every day life, if not on the job.

9 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Only world I knew for 50+ years. Seems like work is just a ways to an end for many, that also have a very active life outside of work. Listening to some they put a great deal of effort into goals of every day life, if not on the job.

I always have 3 active goals.  One personal growth goal, one health goal and one professional growth goal.  They have different target dates based on the goal.  I document them, track daily activity against them (most days) and have milestones set to reach them.  The documents reside in a binder on my desk.  When I complete a goal from on of the three categories I create another for that category.  

I also have 90 day goals (we call Rocks - from the Ten Rockefeller Habits by Vern Harnish) that we set as a leadership team that need to be completed each quarter.  They are designed to help us reach our business goals as a team and we are accountable for them weekly.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I always have 3 active goals.  One personal growth goal, one health goal and one professional growth goal.  They have different target dates based on the goal.  I document them, track daily activity against them (most days) and have milestones set to reach them.  The documents reside in a binder on my desk.  When I complete a goal from on of the three categories I create another for that category.  

I also have 90 day goals (we call Rocks - from the Ten Rockefeller Habits by Vern Harnish) that we set as a leadership team that need to be completed each quarter.  They are designed to help us reach our business goals as a team and we are accountable for them weekly.

You are a disciplined sumbitch!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1