Our carbon footprint is massive this year

Dirtyhip

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

All the purchasing and consumption in addition to the increased driving is really ruining the number.  

Additionally, I dont think that tall ceilings are great for energy consumption.  Well, the power companies likely love them. :facepalm:

Will the new home be more energy efficient with heat/air, kitchen, etc. stuff?

In my apartment, I went from a $200/month gas & electric avg. to $55.  When I'm back in the house, I'm expecting more like $150 with better insulation, and more efficient stuff.

Just now, MickinMD said:

Will the new home be more energy efficient with heat/air, kitchen, etc. stuff?

In my apartment, I went from a $200/month gas & electric avg. to $55.  When I'm back in the house, I'm expecting more like $150 with better insulation, and more efficient stuff.

All efficient, good insulation values.  Most of appliances will be energy star.  Our garage door had the best insulatative value that was available.

The fan is not energy star. Should I change it again?  :D

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I plan to build a very solar house when we retire.  With battery storage so we can use that saved energy at night.  

Enjoy the price tag.  Our tiny home's solar quote was 18 grand without the battery back up system.  In the end, it was just not worth the cost.  I would be long dead before the thing ever paid for itself.  Maybe solar will get better in the next few years.  

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Your carbon framed bikes are the problem.

Those are the least of my energy worries. 

I did the calc based on our recent purchasing.  Our consumables pushed the numbers all out of wack.  

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Enjoy the price tag.  Our tiny home's solar quote was 18 grand without the battery back up system.  In the end, it was just not worth the cost.  I would be long dead before the thing ever paid for itself.  Maybe solar will get better in the next few years.

Do you mean these ads are deceiving?

3CD385A5-0FF9-4CA2-880D-667DC402CFA5.thumb.png.ce47d8826a4cbacdad59465fa6c03a07.png

of corse they are.

I had two calls today from mortgage companies. I decided to take the calls and to be polite because I brought the calls on myself. The ad said mortgage rates as low as 1.75% click here to find out if you qualify in two minutes. It actually took 15 minutes and they ask for my information. Then the phone started ringing. The first caller answered my questions but didn’t notify all the other mortgage people to not bother. The last girl that I talked to said she would mark my information so the calls will stop. She said she had never seen a credit report as clean as mine. I only have one loan, a small mortgage. I just wanted to know what it would cost to get that 1.75% rate. They said too much, I’m better off with what I have. I currently pay about 6%. If I wanted to use up all my available money I could pay the house off today but I don’t think I want to do that.

Having a carbon footprint is a cost of life.

Buy or build anything new? Tack on carbon footprint.

Use toilet paper? Tack on carbon footprint.

Die? Tack on carbon footprint (even at the end of life) for the casket or cremation.

Whether one's carbon footprint is 'small' or 'large' (measured against... ?) or whether one even concerned at all about carbon footprint is a matter of personal and individual responsibility because, after all, the size of one's carbon footprint (as DH adeptly points out :nodhead: ) is solely the direct result of one's own behavior.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1