Raspberry Pi

goldendesign

I am gonna get one. Been looking at buying just the basic and using parts I have lying around to complete the build or go with a complete kit and only really worry about the software aspect. Anyone use one yet? 

Looking at this kit to simplify the purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Model-Plus-Complete-Starter/dp/B00L87YMGM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408621134&sr=8-4&keywords=raspberry+pi

I plan on using it for a retro gaming emulator. With two usb SNES controllers should make for a fun toy. Also keeping a card with Rasbian and OPENELEC installed for funsies.

son, its not called "parts" thems are "ingredients" :rolleyes:

what you do is chop up the Crisco or lard or whatever into the flour like yous making biscuits, but don't put baking powder in there. Just a little cold water like yous making tortillas. Then when you roll the dough for the crust, fold it over and fold it over to get the layers. Otherwise your crust will be hard as a brick

I take my rasberries and cook them a little with water and brown sugar

but you missed raspberry season already. They gone

....city folk :whistle:

this kind of stuff is fun and all, but I know you want to work as a programmer, so try writing some programs to use it

Its meant for kids to get their t-shirts bloody programming, so you should have a good time

If you have a compiler that you can use for writing phone apps, try and think of a simple app like starting a video from your phone

I'm surprised you city slickers don't know what our young friend is talking about.

But then you know what I always say about city slickers

I'm no more of a city slicker than you are Nate.

take it easy Z

this what I do for a living

so if you want to be a theologian and stamp your authority on that topic to where you can disparage my knowledge of the truth, then you can sit there and STFU when people talk about programming topics because I'm the real deal and you're a pudknocker

when it comes to programming, that is

I hope this helps to clear things up in your mind :)

My kids teachers were talking about this last night at meet and greet. I think it is a great idea for them to learn the different ways to do programing and such. The computer lab teacher said they will be starting small with lightbulbs and then moving onto remote cars, and then robots by the end of the school year... I still don't have a full grasp of what all he was talking about, but my sone asked me what a computer nerd was :)

take it easy Z

so if you want to be a theologian and stamp your authority on that topic to where you can disparage my knowledge of the truth, then you can sit there and STFU when people talk about programming topics because I'm the real deal and you're a pudknocker

Nate, I'm truly inclined to believe that you suffer from something.
  • Heart 2

Pretty cool.

My personal belief is this is where everything is headed....except it will be your cell phone that contains a fully functional computer.  You will be able to plug it into a docking station and using cloud based apps, access work anytime and anywhere.  

The possibilities for productivity are incredible, but so are the possibilities of destroying human life as we know it.  Imagine your boss expecting a report update from you even though your on vacation in Hawaii. 

Welcome to the future, kiddies.

Pretty cool.
My personal belief is this is where everything is headed....except it will be your cell phone that contains a fully functional computer. You will be able to plug it into a docking station and using cloud based apps, access work anytime and anywhere.
The possibilities for productivity are incredible, but so are the possibilities of destroying human life as we know it. Imagine your boss expecting a report update from you even though your on vacation in Hawaii.

Welcome to the future, kiddies.

Indeed. And I agree! And the future will leave me behind...

son, its not called "parts" thems are "ingredients" :rolleyes:

what you do is chop up the Crisco or lard or whatever into the flour like yous making biscuits, but don't put baking powder in there. Just a little cold water like yous making tortillas. Then when you roll the dough for the crust, fold it over and fold it over to get the layers. Otherwise your crust will be hard as a brick

I take my rasberries and cook them a little with water and brown sugar

but you missed raspberry season already. They gone

....city folk :whistle:

This city slicker knows that vodka is a better choice for pie crust than water.  Water bonds with flour to form gluten. Too much gluten makes the crust tough and difficult to roll out.  Vodka is just 60 percent water.  The alcohol evaporates, crust has less gluten.  The result is a more flaky and tender crust.

• Heart 1

Nate, I'm truly inclined to believe that you suffer from something.

NPD

Narcissistic Personality Disorder involves arrogant behavior, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration-all of which must be consistently evident at work and in relationships. People who are narcissistic are frequently described as cocky, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. Narcissists may concentrate on unlikely personal outcomes (e.g., fame) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. Related Personality Disorders: Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic. Narcissism is a less extreme version of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Narcissism involves cockiness, manipulativeness, selfishness, power motives, and vanity-a love of mirrors. Related personality traits include: Psychopathy, Machiavellianism.

Narcissists tend to have high self-esteem. However, narcissism is not the same thing as self-esteem; people who have high self-esteem are often humble, whereas narcissists rarely are. It was once thought that narcissists have high self-esteem on the surface, but deep down they are insecure. However, the latest evidence indicates that narcissists are actually secure or grandiose at both levels. Onlookers may infer that insecurity is there because narcissists tend to be defensive when their self-esteem is threatened (e.g., being ridiculed); narcissists can be aggressive. The sometimes dangerous lifestyle may more generally reflect sensation-seeking or impulsivity (e.g., risky sex, bold financial decisions).
  • Heart 3

let me ask you...why are you so hung up on this narcissism stuff? It seems to be fine for your president Obama, but you hate me and so you want to brand me a Narcissist

so what if I am? what's it to you anyway?

I just don't understand how a basically unreal personage depicted in text can have that effect on you

I've tried to just let you go and be nice, which I have been civil and even I dare to say "nice" to you lately, but you still have all this resentment

I just plain don't understand :dontknow:

let me ask you...why are you so hung up on this narcissism stuff? It seems to be fine for your president Obama, but you hate me and so you want to brand me a Narcissist

so what if I am? what's it to you anyway?

I just don't understand how a basically unreal personage depicted in text can have that effect on you

I've tried to just let you go and be nice, which I have been civil and even I dare to say "nice" to you lately, but you still have all this resentment

I just plain don't understand :dontknow:

cause your white....white guiys aren't allowed to be narcissist....unless they are body builders.

well, I think if you knew me in real life you would see how ridiculous this really is

I mean, I would take it as constructive feedback except that I'm not even sure where he gets this, even from the Bigwood Nate character

the fact is that you can take these psychological terms and cobble them onto anything. If you want to see narcissists, you'll see narcissists.

but I still am at a loss as to how that effects bosox in the slightest

ok, fair enough

in the spirit of constructive criticism I guess

its just that "narcisist' is one of those new trendy words that people in social media use to brand someone they don't like

but don't worry about me, I'm fine

take it easy Z

Wait, I've rethought this. I almost never do this. But I'm going to this time. You don't know shit about me. So don't tell me to STFU. Neither you nor I are theologians. If you can't handle your viewpoints being challenged then you probably shouldn't present them.

I think Bosox nailed it. You argue with folks, tell them "you're the real deal" and then tell Bosox you're fictional? Right. You want it both ways. Ain't happening.

I've no patience for this crap. Be one or the other, but at least commit.
  • Heart 1

Looks like fun. These have come a long way since we used a Motorola MC-HC11 microprocessor for our line tracking robot car as my senior project in college. Now they have these "kits" so it's all ready for you to go. Back then we had a board and a compiler and the rest had to be figured out.  I'm not trying to play the "walked uphill both ways in the snow card"...just saying that it's cool that they've designed these to be much easier to work with these days so you can do the real work and not spend twice as long figuring out which pin needs to be activated on a 60-pin header to upload a file.

That being said.....I kinda agree with Nate. If you are interested in doing software, I would think working on something like mobile apps would be a much better project for you to play with. The kinda stuff you'd learn with this project is cool and all, but probably not nearly as marketable. It's a much MUCH smaller niche in today's world.

I am buying the Pi mainly as an exercise in "neat" factor.
Some group of nerds friends of mine get together once a month and do a shamelessly fun activity: paintball, go carts, video games, board games, etc.
It's a great reliever of our stress laden jobs/lives.

The fact the Pi is capable of having me self code, load emulators for snes/nes/ma me old school systems, have autonomous capabilities and a host of other functions all while being the size of a deck of cards and costs less than a $75 is fricken cool.
I will code some software for it as I get the hang of the system and capabilities. For now I like the idea of building it and loading it with the things I like.

• Heart 1

I am buying the Pi mainly as an exercise in "neat" factor.
Some group of nerds friends of mine get together once a month and do a shamelessly fun activity: paintball, go carts, video games, board games, etc.
It's a great reliever of our stress laden jobs/lives.

The fact the Pi is capable of having me self code, load emulators for snes/nes/ma me old school systems, have autonomous capabilities and a host of other functions all while being the size of a deck of cards and costs less than a $75 is fricken cool.
I will code some software for it as I get the hang of the system and capabilities. For now I like the idea of building it and loading it with the things I like.

If there are mame ports for it, I'd love to use it for playing old arcade games. :D

stuff like this is fun when you are learning the trade. I used to network old computers and write assembly language programs and things like that. I even wrote a text editor in assembler back in 95. Try implementing a backspace keystroke writing directly to the video interrupts if you want to drive yourself nuts

what I found is that once I got myself established and was doing this full time for a living, when I got off work I didn't want to go home and do any more programming, so its rare anymore that I do any programming at home for fun

being able to do this sort of hardware interfacing can help you with your general knowledge, so you never know when something you pick up on the side could come into play on the job

Get the B+ model; it has been improved somewhat.  Then just add a decent SD card

If they had not been in short supply (high demand) at the time I built my home theater PC, I would have bought one for that and put RaspXBMC on it.

The only things I'd wish for are a slightly more powerful processor, and that they would support Power-over-Ethernet on it (then I could power it off a PoE switch with no AC adapter).  However, at the price, I understand why.  It's a neat device.

• Heart 1