Will you stay vigilant

jsharr

as the covid numbers decrease?  We are getting to the level where bars can reopen and restuarants can be at 75% capacity.   More people I know personally have Covid now or have recently had it, than in the pre vaccine days.  I feel many are letting down their guards prematurely as the numbers drop.

I am going to stay home as much as possible, keep up with mask wearing, hand washing, sanitizer in the car for quite a while.  Will be interesting to see what things look like in three months.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

as the covid numbers decrease?  We are getting to the level where bars can reopen and restuarants can be at 75% capacity.   More people I know personally have Covid now or have recently had it, than in the pre vaccine days.  I feel many are letting down their guards prematurely as the numbers drop.

I am going to stay home as much as possible, keep up with mask wearing, hand washing, sanitizer in the car for quite a while.  Will be interesting to see what things look like in three months.

You are fooling yourself if you think you are at the level that bars can open to 75% capacity.  We've been fighting this disaster for over a year now because every time the numbers dip by the slightest amount folks open everything and it starts all over again.  and over again.  and over again.  If done right it would have been over already.

We will probably be wearing masks and socially distancing for the rest of this year at least.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You are fooling yourself if you think you are at the level that bars can open to 75% capacity.  We've been fighting this disaster for over a year now because every time the numbers dip by the slightest amount folks open everything and it starts all over again.  and over again.  and over again.  If done right it would have been over already.

We will probably be wearing masks and socially distancing for the rest of this year at least.

I agree.  Look at New Zealand.  They shut down the Americas Cup over one case I think.  May have been up to three cases.   Cancelled racing for two days and made adjustments to the procedures, moved racing off shore to discourage large crowds of spectators, etc.  

I won't change much.  Last summer when the weather was warm and rates were low, I'd meet close family at an outdoor restaurant.  I'd do that again this summer, but I'm not going to movies or eating inside or going to an arena. 

• Heart 2

I’m not changing my evil ways. When we eat out, it’s carry out. Wo7 will not eat in a restaurant now. Masks on, avoid people. Good times. We will get the vaccine when it’s available but I haven’t signed up for anything yet. We are seeing our doctor on Tuesday so we will see what she says. 
I learned today that one of the young mechanics at the LBS tested positive on Saturday. Everyone at the store is getting tested later this week. I haven’t been there in weeks so I’m good. 

• Heart 2

I’ll do social distancing and masking and the whole 9 yards until this thing ends, I will avoid restaurants and bars, except for outdoor seating and limited capacity settings. 

I will not miss another sailing season, however, and if my yacht club remains as anti-mask as it was last summer, I may not bother to wear a mask while there, and conform with the masses. As both my wife and I are vaccinated, we’ll be feeling personally fairly safe. I’d wear a mask to protect them, but I think that would cause bad feelings which would oddly be avoided if we didn’t. We’re already a bit of an outsider, coming up to Erie from Pittsburgh. They’d prefer we not bring our big city ways and practices to Erie. So, barring a wide distribution of variant virus strains immune to the Pfizer vaccine, we may forgo masks at the club.

• Heart 1

Don’t plan to change much but CA hasn’t really opened much up yet.  No indoor eating, outdoor only and we really don’t go to clubs or bars anyway.  I’ll wear a mask for a long while still. 

Covid has actually brought our family bubble closer as Friday night dinner out just became Friday night dinner in and we hang out at my daughters & play with Smokey.  Before we all went separate ways after dinner.

Staying the course..here..mostly take out or outdoor dining unless it is mid week..Just had lunch out with my neighbor..( we are pretty much each others bubble)..we were 2 of 5 people in a restaurant that could easily hold 30 or more..and we were there maybe 20 minutes..I. general..yeah avoiding restaurants and "casual" shopping. Masks will stay...There will be a new normal when this over...

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ll do social distancing and masking and the whole 9 yards until this thing ends, I will avoid restaurants and bars, except for outdoor seating and limited capacity settings. 

I will not miss another sailing season, however, and if my yacht club remains as anti-mask as it was last summer, I may not bother to wear a mask while there, and conform with the masses. As both my wife and I are vaccinated, we’ll be feeling personally fairly safe. I’d wear a mask to protect them, but I think that would cause bad feelings which would oddly be avoided if we didn’t. We’re already a bit of an outsider, coming up to Erie from Pittsburgh. They’d prefer we not bring our big city ways and practices to Erie. So, barring a wide distribution of variant virus strains immune to the Pfizer vaccine, we may forgo masks at the club.

I'd be looking for a different club.

• Heart 2

Saw a post on another forum that pretty much summed up why we've killed a half million in this country

"History is full of scientists that have been wrong!  That's why we need to all listen to our own opinions!"

Darwin wasn't wrong.  If only this virus could be more focused instead of spreading out from all the less fit.

28 minutes ago, 12string said:

Saw a post on another forum that pretty much summed up why we've killed a half million in this country

"History is full of scientists that have been wrong!  That's why we need to all listen to our own opinions!"

Darwin wasn't wrong.  If only this virus could be more focused instead of spreading out from all the less fit.

I read an editorial in the news this morning about the "remove boomer" virus.  I felt great about that.

Not.

51 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There are people so onerous that to have to put up with their attitude is too large a price to pay.

We have three or four couples there that we socialize with. The rest we are too different from, and are polite with but don’t interact any more than that. We are there to sail, not mingle. They are an aging group, and I knew if I brought the virus from Pittsburgh last summer it would kill many. So I stayed away. But they pretended it didn’t exist.

But going to another marina along Lake Erie wouldn’t have changed much of that opinion, I don’t believe.

23 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:
1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Are they still doing that pandemic thing?

It's over, please drop by this weekend.

Scientifically speaking (or politically speaking if you like), when does a pandemic become just your run of the mill epidemic?

Is a pandemic when you are sick and an epidemic when your neighbor's sick.  Does it work like a depression vs recession?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I will still mask and still distance even though our mask mandate ended today. They should have extended at least another month but the anti maskers were just too loud. 
I have 2 places I will dine in for lunch. Distancing is no problem and it gives me a respite from our lunch room. 
WoW and I have a small handful of places we will go on Friday date night. These are places following best practices and making sure their patrons do too. Unfortunately, one of them is closing this week. I’m sure Covid in general, but the fact they enforce the rules has hurt them as well. 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Scientifically speaking (or politically speaking if you like), when does a pandemic become just your run of the mill epidemic?

Is a pandemic when you are sick and an epidemic when your neighbor's sick.  Does it work like a depression vs recession?

Good question.

I feel it's still pan, it's affecting the entire planet, not just a local region.  It's barely containable and preventable, and continuing to mutate.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Good question.

I feel it's still pan, it's affecting the entire planet, not just a local region.  It's barely containable and preventable, and continuing to mutate.

I have a lot more good questions.  If you would just up your game on the answers we can solve a bunch of the world's problems.

Neither he nor I have been vaccinated yet..the roll out schedule in Canada is abit slower unless one is a health care worker or living in a nursing home. Or over80 yrs. old.  It varies abit by province on criteria for priority gorups.

So we mask..  Now with more infectious variants, there is now an extra of vigilance.  I expect us to still want to mask..in public places even after vaccination until we get a better idea what the spread of the variant covids are like.  

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I'm waiting for when Covid-10 becomes globally endemic. Then we'll know something. Maybe watch a movie or something.

1 hour ago, Clark said:

I assume you are joking, but I think the worst probably IS over.  If they ever call me for my vaccination, I might just say to hell with it.  The longer they take to call me, the less chance there is that I will bother with it.    

I wasn't joking, I'm actually pretty angry.  People are so cavalier about this.  Millions have died and people still visit family and take vacations.  I'm tired of staying in too, but I am.  I haven't seen family in 1.5 years.  I haven't vacationed since October 2019.

Sporting events?  I feel complicit because I am watching, but sports should be banned.  So many athletes have caught the virus.  People look up to them, and none have masks.  The fans mostly wore them in the game I watched last night.

Restaurants?  We're ordering take out now.  I see people sitting outside in those silly plastic tents.  Saw them last weekend on our way to take out, it was in the teens outside.  WTF is wrong with people.

Vacation, not likely for me this year.  Maybe a weekend away in NH to do a solo century, but only if I am convinced they cleaned the room well.

I have to go in to work, WFH isn't a realistic option for me.

I think this virus will kill millions more because we are letting it.  The damage could have been less, not 0, but not where it is now.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This whole Covid nuisance is essentially over.  Sporting events are letting people in, who cares if they wear masks.  Gyms are open.  Restaurants are doing great again - mostly full.

It's over.

Far too many people think that.  They're wrong.  Eleven thousand more have died since we went sailing past the half million mark.

I did go into a cafe today, and sat away from others in a corner facing a window solo.

I do takeout otherwise. Go grocery shopping 1-2 times / wk.

Have been able to work from home FTE since Mar. 2020. Sure I see restaurants now with some people.  I don't know why they need to be in a restaurant, since we live in nice walkable neighbourhoods outside that's scenic. I know, it's been some super cold winter days in our area.  But really, most of us aren't STARVING/on the street, so sacrifice those restaurant meet-ups. :huh:

Masking...and going into quieter city areas/parks and shop not at peak times.

It is tough....I feel blessed to have a partner to share...even if nearly 1,000 km. away. And a good friend locally where we do MS Teams chat after work. I want to support her because she chooses to work at the office but doesn't have to.  She needs to because of tenditis and her office setup is better ergonomically.  She's working...to survive economically. It is truly important we take a  different attitude how we sustain our love and connections for loved ones during this time.

I haven't not seen my family since Sept. 2019 on the other side of Canada. There are times, I curse we live in an incredibly huge, yet beautiful country.

As for foreign travel:  There is so much to see CAnada... still. And I'm a person who has lived in 3 different provinces.  Whole worlds, totally different perspectives in neighbourhoods in different languages, you may seldom venture, right now in North America in your state/province.