Ever been a patient in an ambulance?

2Far

Twice. 

Second was after I’d been given oxygen after the pulmonary embolism. The driver reeked of booze. But he got me to the ED alive. My co-worker was emailing me asking when I was coming back to the office. Then he asked me if they were gonna let me turn the sirens. Just what every 48 year old fighting for his life wants to do. 

Once when they transferred me from the ER at a smaller hospital to the primary hospital where admitted for appendix and gall bladder surgery. The weird thing was the EMT “kids" driving and staffing the ambulance graduated from high school with my daughter a couple years prior. My daughter hops in the front and rides with them the 4 miles or so to the other hospital. HEY! I'm the guy in the back. You can quit socializing, catching up on old times now. :frantics:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Twice. 

Second was after I’d been given oxygen after the pulmonary embolism. The driver reeked of booze. But he got me to the ED alive. My co-worker was emailing me asking when I was coming back to the office. Then he asked me if they were gonna let me turn the sirens. Just what every 48 year old fighting for his life wants to do. 

You know how I read that! LOL.

• Haha 1

Yep.  I was stung by a whole bunch of bees who were unreasonably angry about me giving them a better landing zone for their underground nest when I mowed the too long grass out of their air rights.

Woke up briefly to see my neighbors out the back window of the ambulance as we drove away.  I realized then that I was the day's entertainment.

Woke up briefly again on the way to the ER when I said "ouch" as the EMT jabbed a needle into my ass.  He responded "That's good.  We called for permission to give you a second shot because you never felt or reacted to the first one".

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yep.  I was stung by a whole bunch of bees who were unreasonably angry about me giving them a better landing zone for their underground nest when I mowed the too long grass out of their air rights.

Woke up briefly to see my neighbors out the back window of the ambulance as we drove away.  I realized then that I was the day's entertainment.

Woke up briefly again on the way to the ER when I said "ouch" as the EMT jabbed a needle into my ass.  He responded "That's good.  We called for permission to give you a second shot because you never felt or reacted to the first one".

Thug bees, the precursor to the killer bees and murder hornets.

I’ve ridden in an ambulance by accident once when I broke my hip. I thought I’d be ok if people just left me lie there a few minutes. That didn’t work so when I realized I needed to go to the ER I told my wife to go get the car. I watched her load the bikes so I made an attempt to stand up with my one good leg. I made it up but as she was driving over to get me the pain gas too great so I laid back down before I passed out. I told my wife I needed an ambulance. A cop standing there said he already called one. First thing they did in the ambulance was cut my brand new bib cohorts off me.

I rode in an ambulance last July after my heart attack they shipped me to Erie hospital by ambulance from the Grove City hospital. You get much better service at a hospital when you arrive by ambulance

I rode in the ambulance with my wife when she had a tubal pregnancy rupture.

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

No.   I guess I've be lucky.  So far... 

I live on a main thoroughfare that leads from a major residential area to our area hospital.  Ambulances passing my house are quite common.  Lots of them in the morning and in the evening.  I assume most of them are heart related.  

54 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’ve ridden in an ambulance by accident once when I broke my hip. I thought I’d be ok if people just left me lie there a few minutes. That didn’t work so when I realized I needed to go to the ER I told my wife to go get the car. I watched her load the bikes so I made an attempt to stand up with my one good leg. I made it up but as she was driving over to get me the pain gas too great so I laid back down before I passed out. I told my wife I needed an ambulance. A cop standing there said he already called one. First thing they did in the ambulance was cut my brand new bib cohorts off me.

I rode in an ambulance last July after my heart attack they shipped me to Erie hospital by ambulance from the Grove City hospital. You get much better service at a hospital when you arrive by ambulance

I rode in the ambulance with my wife when she had a tubal pregnancy rupture.

I was walking my dog at a local open space and a guy was riding a MTB with his dog off leash & they got crossed up when his dog saw mine and the guy biffed hard.  He tried to get up but was in horrible pain.  I had my daughter take my dog to the car, collected his dog called 911 and his wife and sat with him with his dog.  I was a bit surprised to see them give the guy morphine, it must’ve been really painful...

I ended up waiting for his wife who then took the bike & dog home.  Wife: the dog was off leash wasn’t she? Yup. What a fucking idiot, I told that dip shit a thousand times not to do that.... Thank you for your help.

Hmm I wonder how those two were getting along...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was a bit surprised to see them give the guy morphine, it must’ve been really painful...

Morphine didn’t touch the pain of my broken hip. They kept asking on a scale of 1 to ten how bad is the pain? I would say 10. They gave me more morphine and asked the same question, got the same answer. Eventually they said they had given me the maximum dosage they were alowed. They wasted their time, it didn’t even take the edge off the pain. The pain never eased a bit until after the surgery the next day.

• Sad 2

Twice.

Once in November 2000 after I drove to the Scott AFB hospital because I was having chest pain. They sent me by ambulance to a hospital that could better deal with heart attacks.

In 2004 after my crash in my very last bike race, I went by ambulance to the hospital. I remember nothing right after the crash except for about 10 seconds in the ambulance. Except for that I don't remember much of anything until about 3-4 hours later when I became 'aware' again in a hospital room. I don't even remember being in the ER.

After a colonscopy they discharged me even though I was coughing up yellow fluid. Got home & could not get warm. went to urgent care & could not stand up for a chest x ray. That brought the whambulance. They had given me some Oin the UC so I felt better. I asked for lights & sirens. No go. I was chit chatting with the medics about a family friend that works for them. In the ER they asked about any advance directives. That scared me quite a bit. IIRC it was 3 free days in the hospital suite. Turns out i had aspirated some stomach fluid

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Clark said:

Twice.  

First time when I crashed my bike and broke my right leg and smashed my left wrist.

Second time when I went airborne over a metal gate and broke my pelvis.  

These events were originally reported here by the Road Runner, but it was actually me.   :(

You forgot to change into your Superman outfit before doing a superman.  Being invulnerable would have helped.

• Heart 1

I was a patient once at age 11 in an ambulance but was unconscious the whole way.  I woke up 3 days later in a hospital.

I was going to the corner store a day after a heavy snowstorm for an older lady in our neighborhood and a neighbor woman waiting for a bus asked, "Mickey, are you going to the store for Grandma Westgate? Can you take this bag of Christmas cards and put them in the mailbox by the store for me?"

I crossed the street to get the bag and the bus arrived.  As the woman was getting on it, I walked in front of the bus to get back to the other side.  A truck began to pass the stopped bus and the bus driver blew his horn to warn me.

When an 11 year-old kid hears the bus he's in front of blow a loud horn, that means: get out of the way, fast!

So I fled from in front of the bus and ran right into the path of the truck!   Broken collarbone and concussion.

Year's later, I was on a prospective jury answering the voir dire questions and the judge asked us, "Were any of you pedestrians hit by a vehicle?"

I was asked to approach the bench and it was explained to me the case was a lawsuit by a pedestrian hit by a car in the Fort Meade PX parking lot.

I explained the accident and one attorney asked, "Was any lawsuit involved?"

I answered, "People didn't do that to people back then."

Of course, I wasn't picked for that jury!

Prior to my daughter's last stay in a hospital, she was transferred from College Station to Houston via ambulance. My wife rode with her and said it was a shame she was unconscious, for she loved the show Emergency, and they used the sirens as they drove through each small town.