The Great Purge

Allen

48 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So...  rather than dumping everything, why not give the stuff away and/or donate the stuff? 

I am. A lot will go to F.I.S.H. (local goodwill like charity). But a lot is going to the dump. My dad’s old easy chairs are not worth salvaging for example. 

• Heart 4

8 hours ago, Allen said:

My great purge has started. It’s going to culminate with a roll off dumpster.

With the exception of a few pieces of art, some books, my telescope, and some art supplies I’ve dumped everything in my old house. 
The purge is going to continue here at Springwood. I’m starting at one end of the house and going through every last thing here. 
Art, furniture, books, the kitchen, everything. 

Before last March's house fire, I told people, "If I came home and everything in my house had been stolen, I don't know if I'd be upset or relieved I don't have to sort through and get rid of a lot of stuff."

The fire did that for me - and State Farm's paying the new value for so many items I no longer had use for.  I lost some memories, but since I hadn't looked at most of them in years, I was never depressed about it.

9 hours ago, Allen said:

My great purge has started. It’s going to culminate with a roll off dumpster.

With the exception of a few pieces of art, some books, my telescope, and some art supplies I’ve dumped everything in my old house. 
The purge is going to continue here at Springwood. I’m starting at one end of the house and going through every last thing here. 
Art, furniture, books, the kitchen, everything. 

I did that on the garage last fall. I’m going to be doing that some more as soon as I can count on spring like weather to take a couple days off. 

When we cleaned out WOBG's mothers home.  We had 3 categories for her stuff.  1) donate, 2) throw away, 3) keep

I told WoBG... we have WAY too much stuff already, trying to minimized number 3.    After a while she realized I was correct.  Years later she told me...   When we moved from our old home to our new home she realized a lot of the things she wanted was indeed junk and needed to go.

We donated lots of stuff.

The MIL lived thru the Great Depression. She saved just about everything she ever owned, just in case.   (I get it...) Anyway...  LOTS of stuff was put out at the curb for the garbage truck.   We did most of this after work, so it was dark out.  Between the times we would walk back into the home, back down into the basement, people would be already be stopped at the road rummaging thru the stuff we thought was junk (I still think most of it was) and they'd take it and drive away.   By the next morning, a lot of the stuff was gone.   This took a few nights before the basement was empty. Each night a lot of the stuff would be gone in the morning. 

Donating things isn't as simple as it appears.  My sisters and I have recently cleaned out 3 houses/apartments for deceased relatives, and were willing to donate most stuff to charity. A lot of charities don't want furniture because "heavy, old" furniture doesn't sell well and they don't have the space to save it,  During covid, a number of charities either closed their collection procedures or won't take "soft" goods made of fabrics.

Animal shelters still took most bedding items we could find,  and goodwill would take small household items that didn't take much storage, but there were a lot of things we found hard to give away.

• Sad 1

I think what Mick is suggesting is that once you take all the memorable items and irreplaceable items from the old house, that torching it may have certain advantages. Like not having to cart it to the dumpster. And if insurance rebuilds, you won’t need to worry about your buddy staking claim to the property if he resides there!

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think what Mick is suggesting is that once you take all the memorable items and irreplaceable items from the old house, that torching it may have certain advantages. Like not having to cart it to the dumpster. And if insurance rebuilds, you won’t need to worry about your buddy staking claim to the property if he resides there!

But you need to make sure it doesn't look like arson like Dr. Mick did.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The photo itself is the memory. 

When cleaning out my Mom's apartment, there were some items that had emotional value, but nobody really wanted in their house.  Like large portraits they had painted when they were a young couple and that always hung in our house.  The paintings  triggered happy memories, but they were large and weren't even the best pictures of them. I took a photo of the paintings and had magnets made of them for each of us.  We still get the happy memories, but it takes up a lot less space.

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Zen Prayer garden.  Sort of cross between a Japanese rock garden but with a statue of Jesus that can wear the crown, maybe add a Buddha or other deitys and let them wear it at times?

I made it for my mother one Easter. It was her turn to do the flowers in the church. She wanted it for the arrangement.

I gave a stained glass window to the church (used to hang in the church’s previous sanctuary) after mother passed. I think I’m going to put a hook in the top of it and hang the crown there without asking for permission to do so. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Allen said:

I made it for my mother one Easter. It was her turn to do the flowers in the church. She wanted it for the arrangement.

I gave a stained glass window to the church (used to hang in the church’s previous sanctuary) after mother passed. I think I’m going to put a hook in the top of it and hang the crown there without asking for permission to do so. 

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, esp. at a church.

Imagine if you can do this with no one knowing.  They just show up and there is a crown of thorns apppeared!  

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Imagine if you can do this with no one knowing.  They just show up and there is a crown of thorns apppeared!  

Pretty much the plan. The pastor is there on Wednesdays. Walk in the front door, hang a left into the sanctuary, hang it up, knock on the office door, say hello and leave. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Allen said:

A bag of Cherokee pottery shards. No context to their origins so they have no archeological value. I just hand this to one of my friends’ kids, right?

563B4A5D-DA60-4624-874F-ABB382920972.jpeg

Seriously, any reason I shouldn’t just hand these over to a friend’s kid and say, here is a bag of Indian pottery, go pour them out all over your mother’s dining room table?