It finally occurred to me what I have done!

Dirtyhip

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Your own corner of the Universe. 
I have relatives with a big place in Southern CA. They call it “ho hum paradise.” We call our place cielito seco. 
What are you calling your homestead?

Ours is called Aero Airedale Acres

Dirtyhip-- This is so exciting.  I love seeing your joy!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Over two acres to take care of. 

The commute has doubled. This should keep me in shape. 50 miles a week wih just regular work life. 

Our very own bike park. With enough land to really make something. 

A view.  A view that inspires.

Pro stove.  What? and the fan ...

Whadda ya think, two months?  

and we have some heavy items.  <groan>

To each her/his own!

Land in the Baltimore/Annapolis/Washington suburbs is expensive, but it's cheap along the rural to semi-rural Maryland-Pennsylvania border.

My cousin Larry bought a big home on 1.5 acres there and it's Paradise, not valued much more than my 1/4 acre home between Baltimore and Annapolis.

Teachers I worked with bought land there up to 5 years before retiring and commuted 1.5 - 2 hours each way, fearing the prices would have risen by the time they retired.

So I thought about doing the same and getting a place near Larry.  Then I thought about how much I didn't like doing yard work.

So, after I paid off my mortgage and retired, I downsized and bought out my siblings shares of our late parents' 1/5 acre 30' x 30' mini Cape Cod home with full basement.  I turned out to need a lot more work than I expected but, of course, the fire took care of a lot of sins.

I drove by today and very little has been done in the past week - which had a lot of rain and snow - though the ductwork and plumbing and some kitchen stuff will be going next. There's a tarp on the roof but I think it's been completely replaced and just being protected while waiting to get the "architectural" shingles

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The brass ring? Like the gold watch?

In the old days kids could grab for a brass ring on a pole next to the merry go round. It was usually good for something like a free ride.  In today's society they are all gone lest some kid jam a finger during the attempt and his parents lawyer sues for 10 million dollars.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Kirby said:

I agree with Aire, it's wonderful to see you so happy about your new home and excited for the adventure ahead.

One of the things I appreciate the most about this forum is sharing the milestones in people's lives - new homes, new jobs, big house projects, ,new kids or grandkids, and anniversaries for the long married couples.  Even being able to share the less joyous things, like major medical procedures and the sadness of a loss in the family.   Many of us have "known" each other for years and I share the excitement and sometimes pain of major milestones.  But it's especially fun to see the happy ones. 

You are the bestest.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1