Be careful out there...

Some Old Guy

:angry: :(

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A 67-year-old Virginia Beach man has died after suffering severe injuries in a crash with a suspected DUI driver earlier this month.

The family of Paul Mozley confirmed he died at 4 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Mozley was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital on Feb. 9 after being struck while riding his bicycle in front of the Burger King around 3:10 p.m. in the 5500 block of Princess Anne Road, police said.

The driver who struck Mozley, Stephen Eugene Davis, was later charged with DWI in the case.  Davis is due in court on March 11.

Mr Mozley:

Paul-Mozley.jpg.e30061375df1846df6e6c13f868dac20.jpg

• Sad 8

I am hoping that the Virginia Beach Court system will mete out some significant punishment for the violator in this case.  Unfortunately, in the past, car/bicycle collisions have been treated here with great leniency being given to the driver.  All the driver has to do is say they didn't see the cyclist for whatever reason (even though the cyclist is wearing a fluorescent vest), and the local court will just slap the driver's hand and let them go.  :angry: 

Maybe the DUI will make the difference this time.   

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

These stories always make me think, there but for the grace of god go I... 

I drank a lot in my 20s, way too much.

I drove drunk, really drunk, a lot.

Me too.  Luckily, it was usually very late at night and there were very few people and cars on the road for me to hit.  

When I was young, I had a regular watering hole in midtown.  Very popular place in those days.  People would drink most of the night and then drive home.  I always wondered why the cops didn't set up a roadblock a couple blocks away and check everyone for DUI.  I think a significant portion of the people on the road after 1 AM on a Friday or Saturday night in my city, in those days, were probably legally drunk.

• Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, Clark said:

When I was young, I had a regular watering hole in midtown.  Very popular place in those days.  People would drink most of the night and then drive home.  I always wondered why the cops didn't set up a roadblock a couple blocks away and check everyone for DUI.  I think a significant portion of the people on the road after 1 AM on a Friday or Saturday night in my city, in those days, were probably legally drunk.

My best friend in my 20s was getting married.  We already had the party for him.  The two of us went out together about a week before he got married.  Got so drunk, I barely remember the drive him.  We left the club, walked (I use that word lightly) right past the cop standing in from of the parking garage.  Why else would we be going in to a parking garage?  Never said a word to us, we drove home.

• Sad 1