Today's hike

Tizeye

Ridden past it many times on the West Orange Trail but can't take a bike on the raised boardwalk over wetlands to Lake Apopka in the Oakland Nature Preserve. The boardwalk is 1.5 miles round trip.

It also makes it a handicapped accessible hike. I saw one lady with what appeared to be MS or CP make it all the way to the lake with a tri-wheeled hand cart with her very pronounce/awkward gate to her step. Great outing.

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-3.JPG

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-5.JPG

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-9.JPG

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-10.JPG

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-11.JPG

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-14.JPG

Oakland Preserve - 1500px-16.JPG

• Heart 4

57 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I guess it's a bit warmer where you are.  My hike today on the I&M Canal with Bella (way out in front) and Parker who likes to walk next to me. 

hike.thumb.jpg.715ad41e4ceaac17960140c5d15ea358.jpg

hike2.thumb.jpg.c91c80ed22d89dcd2764424d596d004c.jpg

Yep...Spring has sprung. That is one of the reason I focused on the new growth just appearing...despite the reds looking like autumn. Did wear bluejeans and T-shirt, but warmed up nicely and now in shorts since returning home.

3 hours ago, Further said:

Tizeye, ya ever see any Burmese Pythons ? 

Not in the wild, even when in the Everglades where a significant problem. Have seen them at tourist attractions and zoos where handler would allow guest to handle with the obligatory photo documenting the event.

Incidentally, that snake is a harmless banded water snake. Easy to identify in the field, notice the striped pattern above and below the jaw. The similar water moccasin lacks the pattern. More difficult in the field is look at the eyes - rounded on water snake, where moccasin has a slit diamond shape. 

• Heart 1