How do I find a 24 hour caregiver that can also take care of a wood furnace?

Longjohn

30 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Maybe I’ll go talk to the Amish and see if they can help me.

That may be your best option for the wood furnace.   

That plus...  if you have 24 X 7 caregivers at home will give you time to find a nursing home for your wife.  (at least until you recover, if needed)

You need to care of yourself....   and need to be sure you don't have serious heart issues.   

Prayers for both of you... 

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That may be your best option for the wood furnace.   

That plus...  if you have 24 X 7 caregivers at home will give you time to find a nursing home for your wife.  (at least until you recover, if needed)

You need to care of yourself....   and need to be sure you don't have serious heart issues.   

Prayers for both of you... 

Our hospice team can arrange short term nursing home for two weeks. The hard part is I may not need it. Cardiologist are all get to the ER right away and the last time I did that I didn’t come home for four days and was in two different hospitals. To get her to a nursing home would be difficult and hard on her. The nursing homes still don’t allow visitors. I don’t know if she could survive two weeks of nursing home care. I think Jocelyn our aide could still make her daily visits, that would be a big help. After my heart attack in July I was on a ten pound weight restriction for a week. That made me worthless as a caregiver.

Perhaps along with a live-in care giver you could look for others who would be willing to work 8 or 12 hours and alternate with each other.  It would allow a 'live-in' care giver to stay for two or three days and have a day or two off for their own purposes, and that care giver would be less likely to burn out.  It might make your search easier too if you mix-and-match care givers since live-in and 24-hour care givers are difficult to find.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Can anyone at your church help or are they too far?

The day I came home from the hospital in July someone from church offered to come and stay. I was pretty much through the crisis by then and told them I’d be ok. I’m trying to remember who that was. It’s a big church. My son’s family is not there anymore since he took the position at Teen  Challenge so if I get through this I might be going back to my old church. It’s part of the same church, one church, eight locations. It is only half as far away.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

The day I came home from the hospital in July someone from church offered to come and stay. I was pretty much through the crisis by then and told them I’d be ok. I’m trying to remember who that was. It’s a big church. My son’s family is not there anymore since he took the position at Teen  Challenge so if I get through this I might be going back to my old church. It’s part of the same church, one church, eight locations. It is only half as far away.

I’d reach out to them and ask for help. Esther may not have to leave home. 

• Heart 2

Perhaps you could look for two different caretakers - one who would focus on Esther  and someone else who might be familiar with the furnace if that has special requirements.  I assume the furnace doesn't need someone 24/7.

But  you must take care of yourself as well.  You won't do anyone any good by ignoring things for a short term benefit.  Esther, your whole family and we need  you to be well.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I’m in a bit of a bind. Live in care givers are hard to find in the first place. I guess I’ll have to talk to Esther’s nurse and see how hard it would be to get her into a temporary nursing home. It would take two weeks last summer when I was in the hospital and needed someone immediately. I’m guessing I have another blockage in my heart. The recorded message at my cardiologist says if you have chest pain, hang up and dial 911 immediately. I know that routine, they send an ambulance to get me and admit me to the hospital for testing and procedures. I cannot leave my wife like that. Maybe I’ll go talk to the Amish and see if they can help me. I can pay whatever they ask. Either that or send two ambulances and take us both to the hospital.

Meanwhile when I take the wheelbarrow out to the woodpile to bring in one wheelbarrow load of wood I have chest pain in the middle of my chest. I’m used to moving dozens of wheelbarrow loads a day to get the wood into the woodshed. I guess owl try to get a message to my cardiologist tomorrow and see what he suggests. My Amish neighbors may be my best option. Maybe it’s just heartburn and I have nothing to worry about? I wish I could call my neighbors on the phone. 

I wish I was there and could do it for you.

Get that heart checked out ASAP!

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

Owl bet that Medicare will cover a barber visit while you’re there. Barbers were once called surgeons. They used leeches to remove unhealthy humours from the blood. 

Or he could just stop by @Parr8heds place for some bourbon, a beard trim and some "modifications" since we cannot say repair.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1