Yay! Shoulder pain almost gone 23 hrs after COVID Shot.

MickinMD

I went to sleep last night with soreness and swelling around the spot where I got my COVID shot yesterday, I got a little hoarse during a long phone conversation, and I was worried about whether I'd get the COVID and flu-type symptoms some get a day later that might last a couple days.

Relief! I woke up this AM and didn't feel chills but took my temperature anyway, 96.9°, normal for me.  No frogginess in my throat.  I have to raise my arm almost straight up before I feel soreness in the shoulder where I got the shot.

Looks like I dodged a bullet but I'm not going to take Jake for the walk I had planned for today: my nurse sister said I don't want to chance having an episode due to delayed side effects occurring a mile or so back in the woods.

The soreness may also have been exacerbated by me getting the shot in my left shoulder while being left-handed and I did dishes, cooked, etc. as normal.  My right arm has the Freestyle Libre blood sugar sensor in it and the pharmacist who gave me the shot agreed with me that a COVID shot there might cause inaccurate readings - so I got in the left arm.

• Heart 3

49 minutes ago, Clark said:

Wusses.  I have had absolutely no pain at all.  Zip, zilch, nada.

I have two cousins in their 80's who also had no pain at all, one got her 1st shot the day before me.  They called me a wuss, too.

I said, I did want to feel a little pain: it indicates my body is reacting to and make antibodies against COVID-19's spiky protein sheath.

Of course, when the pain kept growing throughout the day yesterday and I got hoarse after talking on the phone a long time, I got a little worried.

The head cancer and COVID research doctor at Johns Hopkins Hospital - the one who discovered and proved that COVID transmission is virtually only by through exhaled moisture droplets - got the shot, felt nothing unusual right after it, but collapsed in his driveway when he got home.  My sister was his top assistant and is still in touch with him since she retired in September.  My sister is consequently very cautious about the couple days afterward for anyone getting the shot.  She was upset on the phone when I told her I was so excited about getting the shot that I forgot to wait the instructed 15 minutes at the pharmacy after I got it.

I feel perfectly normal today except for some swelling around the shot spot and a little pain if I raise my arm almost straight up, but I think I dodge the bullet some people are getting.

BUT...I wonder if the people whose bodies are reacting very strongly (fever, chills, loss of appetite, etc.) to shot are making more and longer-lasting antibodies than the rest of us?

I've been getting the flu shot or shots (extra Swine flu shots, etc.) every year since the late 80's and haven't had the flu in all that time despite the fact that, until 2006, I was teaching in 2900-student germ factory. The two years before that I didn't get the shots and got the flu.

I wonder how many antibodies, etc. are retained each year and that, after 30+ years, I've been immunized against so many different flu strains that enough antibodies would be retained that I'd have a mild case even without a new shot.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I went to sleep last night with soreness and swelling around the spot where I got my COVID shot yesterday, I got a little hoarse during a long phone conversation, and I was worried about whether I'd get the COVID and flu-type symptoms some get a day later that might last a couple days.

Relief! I woke up this AM and didn't feel chills but took my temperature anyway, 96.9°, normal for me.  No frogginess in my throat.  I have to raise my arm almost straight up before I feel soreness in the shoulder where I got the shot.

Looks like I dodged a bullet but I'm not going to take Jake for the walk I had planned for today: my nurse sister said I don't want to chance having an episode due to delayed side effects occurring a mile or so back in the woods.

The soreness may also have been exacerbated by me getting the shot in my left shoulder while being left-handed and I did dishes, cooked, etc. as normal.  My right arm has the Freestyle Libre blood sugar sensor in it and the pharmacist who gave me the shot agreed with me that a COVID shot there might cause inaccurate readings - so I got in the left arm.

I thought you wanted pain and symptoms to tell you it's working???

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, smudge said:

I thought you wanted pain and symptoms to tell you it's working???

Yeah - but just a little pain like I usually get with flu shots.  One year I got a pneumonia shot in one arm and a shingles shot in the other on the same day.  I was sore for two days worse than this in both arms.

Anyway, it's working!

• Heart 1

for me the reaction to the second vaccination was the same as the first.  upper arm was sore the next morning.  mrs_az_cyclist was about the same, until mid morning the next day, when she started getting some chills and a low fever. She stayed on the couch all day, went to bed, and is ok this morning.

• Heart 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, Clark said:

Wusses.  I have had absolutely no pain at all.  Zip, zilch, nada.

Actually, I was just joking around.  It appears that some may have taken me seriously.  I made such a big deal in other threads about not having received the shot yet, I just assumed everyone here would know the reason why I've had no pain.   :D