So, Gaga's dogwalker gets shot,

2Far

Is this a dogwalker she pays or one who volunteers just to get close to a celebrity?

The wealthy play that card often.

The Baltimore Ravens, and I'm sure lots of other highly profitable sports teams, have volunteers at their training camps who pick up towels, etc., wash laundry, sweep the floors, etc. for free to get close to the athletes.

Maury Povich uses unpaid interns who allegedly get paid in "experience" to get jobs in TV - though few actually do.

Of course there's the argument that the unpaid do so voluntarily, but to me it's taking advantage of socially conditioned emotions to not pay people what's fair.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Is this a dogwalker she pays or one who volunteers just to get close to a celebrity?

The wealthy play that card often.

The Baltimore Ravens, and I'm sure lots of other highly profitable sports teams, have volunteers at their training camps who pick up towels, etc., wash laundry, sweep the floors, etc. for free to get close to the athletes.

Maury Povich uses unpaid interns who allegedly get paid in "experience" to get jobs in TV - though few actually do.

Of course there's the argument that the unpaid do so voluntarily, but to me it's taking advantage of socially conditioned emotions to not pay people what's fair.

Yeah & Pro & college programs also have coaching interns who are also unpaid. Seems like a good way to get your foot in the door if you can afford no salary for a year or more...

When I worked at Sony Pictures all of the Interns were young smoking hot women.  Odd in that no male or non smoking hot women were ever interns...

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah & Pro & college programs also have coaching interns who are also unpaid. Seems like a good way to get your foot in the door if you can afford no salary for a year or more...

When I worked at Sony Pictures all of the Interns were young smoking hot women.  Odd in that no male or non smoking hot women were ever interns...

Starlets in the making.

The Dept of Labor has standards for "unpaid interns" for "for profit" employers.  There are a lot of factors considered  to determine who gets the "primary benefit".  The more the program is tied to educational or training for a profession, the less risk the intern can claim they were actually owed wages.  The more the program has people getting no credit and doing work that you'd typically hire someone to perform the greater the risk people can claim to be "employees".  A lot of organizations  now require interns to be enrolled in a school internship program and  getting academic credit.  But at competitive or prestige jobs, people are often reluctant to make a claim  if they want to work in the industry in the future.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/71-flsa-internships