Hey grandpa, what’s for dinner?

Longjohn

THURS: Today I had the 2nd 8 oz. (16 oz. left) of carnitas (Mexican marinated roast pork shoulder) with the 2nd half of Knorr Spanish Rice with diced tomatoes added.

FRI: Tomorrow is probably chicken soup with freshly cooked extra wide egg noodles because I haven't walked Jake for a couple weeks and will probably be too tired to prepare dinner after I walk him tomorrow.

SAT: I'll shred some of the carnitas, heat it with salsa and cilantro, and make tacos with it and soft flour tortillas, taco sauce, sour cream, onions, tomatoes, shredded Mxxican cheese and lettuce.

SUN: our family is going to my 2nd cousin Eddie's bar to surprise and present him with the picture below. It's in the New York Yankees dugout in the old Yankee Stadium in 1951.

Left to right are bar owner Edward III's Grandfather (my Uncle Edward Sr.), Edward III's Father (my Cousin Edward Jr.), and Edward III's Great Uncle (my Uncle John).

Edward Jr. is wearing the jacket of his employer's Westinghouse Softball Team that he played on.

My sister found it in a bunch of pictures: she's the guardian of old family pics. All three men, Yankees fans, are deceased now:

IMG_1671.thumb.jpg.ecdcf4e9b3bb5b1dd35dc3500ebe353a.jpg

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

They better have a top notch Cath Lab!

They say they are very good. They had me sign a lot of papers agreeing to open heart surgery if something goes wrong, I don’t remember doing that last time.

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Got a window view? Back in Erie? Or more local to you?

My window faces Sharon School of nursing but it appears they all have their blinds pulled.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

So... how was the scrod?

It was very good. Better than most hospital food. They went back to a modified version of the room service they had when I broke my hip. Not as many fancy choices as before but much better than most hospital food. You call room service and as soon as your order is ready the room service servers bring it to your room.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

It was very good. Better than most hospital food. They went back to a modified version of the room service they had when I broke my hip. Not as many fancy choices as before but much better than most hospital food. You call room service and as soon as your order is ready the room service servers bring it to your room.

That's pretty amazing. I worked in a hospital dietary department back in the 80s. Our food was pretty crummy. I did not enjoy serving it to the patients. Clear liquid diet was awful. 

Get better man. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

That's pretty amazing. I worked in a hospital dietary department back in the 80s. Our food was pretty crummy. I did not enjoy serving it to the patients. Clear liquid diet was awful. 

Get better man. 

I’m on the heart healthy diet but lots of selections on the menus. I won’t go hungry.

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, roadsue said:

I’ve not eaten scrod. I’ll have to give it a try. But I’m going to try it without the hospital stay. I suppose. 
Sending prayers.

Scrod is a generic term for whitefish. Small cod, haddock or other white fish from the cold waters of the Atlantic. I asked a waitress in Boston once and she said it’s whatever they catch; scrod. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Select Catch Received on the Day. Old # 7 has the rest of the story. 
Also past tense of screwed. 

Well, I’ve eaten screwed plenty o’times. But I cannot remember the last time I’ve cooked a freshly caught brook or lake trout. A big ‘ol rainbow is good eats. 
Let that procedure work it’s way on your heart, LJ. Get home in time for Sunday dinner. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

• 7 months later...

Leftover lasagna today.  Tomorrow: leftover baked chicken thighs with Weber BBQ rub and Knorr Asian Chicken Flavor Fried Rice with fried onions and frozen peas and carrots nuked with it.

In my freezer are two three pound beef briskets (one for a Texas brisket recipe and one for a Jewish brisket recipe) and a 3 lb chuck roast (I usually pressure cook it in a cream of mushroom soup-based gravy) and will probably make one in the next week unless I'm getting so much yard work done I'm too tired to cook.  In that case, I have a 30+ oz. shepherd's pie and a 30+ oz. Stauffer's Lagasna Italiano in the freezer, each good for two meals for me and both nukable.

image.jpeg.ee521d9352391837e0cf4c1d7320500d.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Been doing salads.

Grilled chicken, Amish tomato, Romain lettuce, vidalia onion, mushroom, sweet red pepper, and avocado.

4EB8D6F1-E6E3-48DC-9E01-B5F7D0D2E68D.jpeg.a2871677722e1db8d67eb370585716a3.jpeg 

Pretty much the same but with black olives and no chicken. (I had grilled chicken for lunch)

2F788E05-9EC5-4BB3-97A4-322DF9CA7807.jpeg

That second one needs some feta cheese