Anyone famous ever live in your town?

bikeman564™

Wiki shows a list that includes a few pro sports players I haven't heard of. And Henry Rowan, after whom Rowan University was named after he made a huge donation. 

George Washington's troops marched within a quarter mile of our house, after crossing the Delaware, on their way to Trenton. (But our house wasn't here then, nor were we) So he didn't live here, but I'd say he made an impact. 

• Heart 1

If we use Dallas as my town, yeah, tons.

If we use Richardson, not as many.  Does Jeremy from the song of the same name by Pearl Jam count?

If we use Plano, which I consider more of my home town, then we have Boz Skaggs, Anoush Ansari, Rex Burkhead, John Benjamin Hickey, 

• Heart 2

I believe Michelle Pfiefer lived in my city for a bit before she became famous.  The Olympian Misty May Treanor lives in my city.  The former MLB player Brett Mayne is from my city & still lives here.

Our sons played ball on the same team one year.  He would get hammered by dads wanting tips & coaching advice. One game he was talking to his wife about a fly fishing trip he just got back from. Of course my ears perked up and we started talking about fishing.  The rest of the season he sat by me in the bleachers and we talked everything but baseball...  I could  tell he was sick of dads asking him if his kid had potential...

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

George H Bush and Barbara lived in my city for aboot 2 months because he was stationed at naval base on Grosse Ile, in 1945. This was the first place they lived as a married couple :)

Tim Allen went to and dropped out of my High School.

I went to High School with Dan Miller who played Luther Perkins in the Jonny Cash movie "Walk the Line."  He was in Mrs. Silly's class.

Carrol Warmus,  was in both my Junior High School and High School class.  I had a friend who dated her once.  He said she went psycho on him in the restaurant (I forget what set her off).  They didn't go out after that.  I think he was better off.

• Heart 1

Well I grew up in the Detroit suburbs. Eastpointe, St Clair Shores, Mt Clemens, and New Baltimore.

I grew up in the time some of the more recent musical success from Detroit were gaining fame; Eminem, Kid Rock, Uncle Kracker (fat Matt)....
I worked as a valet at the Emerald theater and JD 2000s (since long gone) where kid rock and UK would come in frequently. Got to hand with them and consume some cannabis back stage quite frequently. To my 17 year old self, I was the coolest because of it. 

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Tim Allen went to and dropped out of my High School.

I went to High School with Dan Miller who played Luther Perkins in the Jonny Cash movie "Walk the Line."  He was in Mrs. Silly's class.

Carrol Warmus,  was in both my Junior High School and High School class.  I had a friend who dated her once.  He said she went psycho on him in the restaurant (I forget what set her off).  They didn't go out after that.  I think he was better off.

I went to school w/ Tim Allen...but not "that" one :D

You're friend is definitely better off

Orlando...too many to list. Sports: Tiger Woods, Payne Stewart, Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Horace Johnson, and the list goes on. A lot of the Disney performers advancing professionally. Lou Pearlman as he created act such as Bachstreet Boys, NSYNC, as well as his famous ponzi scheme that sent him to prison. Westley Snipes, Warren Sapp, and 2 Miss America's were born in Orlando. Also, I forget her name but same age as my daughter but went to a local Catholic high school and became a singer/performer and a 'teen' hit. 

An active cyclist that I have ridden with. Carrottop was born and raised in Orlando (Winter Park) and still maintains a home here when not entertaining in Vegas.

Winter Haven (My adolesence and high school) - Dick Pope - founder of Cypress Gardens.  Later purchasing Dick Popes home, Winter Haven native and Hall of Fame singer Jim Stafford. 
Also, obscure and you never heard of but directly impacts you even today. Jim Allchin. He and I played trumpet together in high school, but with braces focused more on guitar. Played in places he was too young to be in. Initially blew off education for music gigs until excited by mathematics of all things. Eventually got a PhD in Computer Science  at Stanford and eventually hired by Microsoft. As Executive Vice President, headed the department developing their network systems which he sought to parallel consumer products. Lead the development of Windows Vista and while taking some time off for cancer treatment/recovery returned full time but retiring from Microsoft as Windows 7 was released. "Second Career" has studio (and assets to finance) his music studio in Nashville where he cuts his records. I believe he still lives in Seattle though - but Microsoft's gift to music. 

And then in 2003 Program Developer Conference introduced as Keynote Speaker by Bill Gates. Longhorn was the code name for Vista.

11 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I went to school w/ Tim Allen...but not "that" one :D

You're friend is definitely better off

While walking the dog I remembered what the conversation was that set her off.  When he picked her up, he was impressed by her house which was large even by Birmingham standards.  To keep the conversation going, he said something like, "You have a nice house" and she lost it.

I forgot some people from my town.  

The brother of a close friend of mine from JH and HS is Chuck Forrest, who was the all time Jeopardy champ during the days when you could only win 5 times.  I think he won like $120,000 which was a lot for the era.

Some sports figures that lived near by were Brett Hall, Danny DeKeyser and Darin Helm.  I chatted a couple times with Helm when we passed walking our dogs while they sniffed butts.  For a time, I got the inside track on Red Wings moving into the neighborhood.   I regularly pass Larry Murphy's house when I walk the dog.  His front lawn is Astroturfed.  I saw the Tigers reliever, Todd Jones walking into his house once. 

My son went to JH and HS with Igor Larionov's daughter.  

At this point I should point out that I am not a stalker.  Mrs. Silly works at a bank and for a while she processed home loans.  She'd let me know when a Red Wing bought a house near by.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

While walking the dog I remembered what the conversation was that set her off.  When he picked her up, he was impressed by her house which was large even by Birmingham standards.  To keep the conversation going, he said something like, "You have a nice house" and she lost it.

what a wacko she was :wacko:

Well according to many, Elvis is still alive and working at a Burger King in Kalamazoo.  So there is that.  From back when I lived in PA - Sharon Stone but she wasn't yet famous then.  When I hung with her crowd she was a model in Europe and hadn't hit the stage yet.  My roommate dated her sister and we partied with her brother.  She was just the sister that wasn't home at the time.

• Heart 1

If I included Baltimore and Annapolis, 20 minutes N and S of me, there would be plenty, but my northern Anne Arundel County was little more than farms until the suburban boom after WW2.

Montel Williams grew up a few miles from my house and a stone's throw from my brother's current house.

Famous singer Toni Braxton attended Old Mill High School, where I taught, 6 miles from my house.  She was dropped from from the pre-college music program at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University because she wouldn't learn to read sheet music well!  Here's me playing Chopin's Prelude in E Minor on a Steinway Grande Piano ($80,000) in an ACE Recital at Peabody.  I tell people I succeeded in music where Toni Braxton failed:

46336874_MickatPeabodyACEclose.jpg.033c15769d85abcb3d0de43e0c385f4a.jpg Peabody 5-14-13.JPG

886838347_MickatPeabodyACEdistant.jpg.14b574b63373a69a72811d68d73bb529.jpg

One of the most famous guys from the North of the County is the owner of the Baltimore Ravens, Steve Bisciotti.  There have been a few pro baseball and football players and a high-ranked lightweight boxer (also an Old Mill High alum) who came out of our schools, including Danny Neagle, who was the ace of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitching staff for some years.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Orlando...too many to list. Sports: Tiger Woods, Payne Stewart, Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Horace Johnson, and the list goes on. A lot of the Disney performers advancing professionally. Lou Pearlman as he created act such as Bachstreet Boys, NSYNC, as well as his famous ponzi scheme that sent him to prison. Westley Snipes, Warren Sapp, and 2 Miss America's were born in Orlando. Also, I forget her name but same age as my daughter but went to a local Catholic high school and became a singer/performer and a 'teen' hit. 

An active cyclist that I have ridden with. Carrottop was born and raised in Orlando (Winter Park) and still maintains a home here when not entertaining in Vegas.

Winter Haven (My adolesence and high school) - Dick Pope - founder of Cypress Gardens.  Later purchasing Dick Popes home, Winter Haven native and Hall of Fame singer Jim Stafford. 
Also, obscure and you never heard of but directly impacts you even today. Jim Allchin. He and I played trumpet together in high school, but with braces focused more on guitar. Played in places he was too young to be in. Initially blew off education for music gigs until excited by mathematics of all things. Eventually got a PhD in Computer Science  at Stanford and eventually hired by Microsoft. As Executive Vice President, headed the department developing their network systems which he sought to parallel consumer products. Lead the development of Windows Vista and while taking some time off for cancer treatment/recovery returned full time but retiring from Microsoft as Windows 7 was released. "Second Career" has studio (and assets to finance) his music studio in Nashville where he cuts his records. I believe he still lives in Seattle though - but Microsoft's gift to music. 

And then in 2003 Program Developer Conference introduced as Keynote Speaker by Bill Gates. Longhorn was the code name for Vista.

Strangely, Orlando is the only city in the US that I actually like.  An I managed to avoid the Southwest quarter but for one trip to see what it was all about.  I drove down I drive with womaxx and watched all the tourists.

Depends on how you define “my town”. Tons of people from Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh area, fewer from my section of the city. Michael Keaton, Fred Rodgers, Sharon Stone, Christina Agulara, Andy Warhol, the Heinz family, the Carnegies, the Mellons.... Jimmy Stewart, wiz Kalifa, Mac Miller, Perry Como, Mike Ditka. Joe Montana grew up  near where I work, Johnny Unitas nearby, Jim Kelly up one of our rivers to the north.

Oh and the Rooney’s live within a quick walk from me, I live next door to Mario Lemieux old house. Most of the sports stars now live across the river, in the mansions in the hills.

51 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

If I included Baltimore and Annapolis, 20 minutes N and S of me, there would be plenty, but my northern Anne Arundel County was little more than farms until the suburban boom after WW2.

Montel Williams grew up a few miles from my house and a stone's throw from my brother's current house.

Famous singer Toni Braxton attended Old Mill High School, where I taught, 6 miles from my house.  She was dropped from from the pre-college music program at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University because she wouldn't learn to read sheet music well!  Here's me playing Chopin's Prelude in E Minor on a Steinway Grande Piano ($80,000) in an ACE Recital at Peabody.  I tell people I succeeded in music where Toni Braxton failed:

46336874_MickatPeabodyACEclose.jpg.033c15769d85abcb3d0de43e0c385f4a.jpg Peabody 5-14-13.JPG

886838347_MickatPeabodyACEdistant.jpg.14b574b63373a69a72811d68d73bb529.jpg

One of the most famous guys from the North of the County is the owner of the Baltimore Ravens, Steve Bisciotti.  There have been a few pro baseball and football players and a high-ranked lightweight boxer (also an Old Mill High alum) who came out of our schools, including Danny Neagle, who was the ace of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitching staff for some years.

No mention of movie producer John Waters?

5 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Wiki shows a list that includes a few pro sports players I haven't heard of. And Henry Rowan, after whom Rowan University was named after he made a huge donation. 

George Washington's troops marched within a quarter mile of our house, after crossing the Delaware, on their way to Trenton. (But our house wasn't here then, nor were we) So he didn't live here, but I'd say he made an impact. 

I worked for Hank for about 5 years.  Oh, the stories.  Genius, and a little crazy.  The first Dean of the Rowan Engineering school lived here, does that count?

I heard something about Hank's house being torn down?  Is that true?  Didn't think that would be allowed. 

• Heart 1

Without looking up a more comprehensive list:  Jim Morrison did a year of high school here, Bill Gates built a little operating system  in a garage here at one time, a family of race car drivers named Unser have a few acres in the valley, and a musical group known as The Shins were playing Burt’s Tikki Lounge downtown for awhile before relocating to the Pacific Northwest. Jeff Bezos has an ABQ birth certificate, as does Demi Lovato. Mike Judge’s inspiration for Beevis and Butthead may have been his experiences going to high school here. And Neil Patrick Harris is a graduate from the high school where I work. And Holly Holm has been kicking ass at Winklejohn’s Gym for years! 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Malcolm Gladwell grew up about a mile and a half from my boyhood home and we attended the same high school, only 10 years apart so I never met the guy.  He used to ride on the same school bus as my kid brother.

Yea, I read...from  waterloo county. But you know alot of famous Canadians can afford to be outliers...on the global English speaking stage.  They aren't viewed as a political/economic threat (unless it's Shopify from Ottawa), so some famous Canadians can do/say what they feel best. (well, let's exclude one of the Proud Boys' leaders from Canada.. :().

Margaret Atwood is a good example via some of her novels' themes or Dan Levy, actor who plays gay guy in Schitt's Creek.... both from Toronto.

Henry Fonda was born here. 

Tom Rathman who played fullback for the Cornhuskers and then the Super Bowl era 49ers. He would visit our record store when he came back home. His brother was a regular and said he loved to shop at our store because we gave him space and didn’t talk about football with him. 

Least famous nowadays, but probably most important was Grace Abbot. She was the first female member of a presidential cabinet. She was instrumental in child welfare laws.