Joshua Tree

jsharr

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

War, Boy and Rattle and Hum are all good as well.   I think Joshua Tree was the zenith of U2's recording efforts.    Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride (in the Name of Love) are my favorite songs.

Love those songs & albums too. The Unforgettable Fire is still my favorite U2 album.  I listened to it a lot on my Walkman during down times early on in the Army.  It got me through some rough times.  Whenever I hear songs from that album it brings me back to those times.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t agree with some of it, but it’s an interesting read. I particularly disagree with Exiles on Main Street’s slide, but that’s almost a personal grudge for me.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

A quick scan made me realize my taste or likes, muscially is very narrow.  Mostly 80s stuff, rock , punk and new wave, with some reggae, island, country  and rockabilly thrown in.  I was amazed how much rap and hip hop was on the top 50 that I just do not get into.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

A quick scan made me realize my taste or likes, muscially is very narrow.  Mostly 80s stuff, rock , punk and new wave, with some reggae, island, country  and rockabilly thrown in.  I was amazed how much rap and hip hop was on the top 50 that I just do not get into.  

I agree, and I was reading the 2003 list just now to see how much has swung in 17 years. “A lot” is the answer. I dont know enough about rap or hip hop to have a knowledgeable voice on the 2020 list in that way. I starting to think of “top 100 rock albums” would be more my genre for opinion. And I’d exclude greatest hits or compilations out of principle. 

what i do find funny is the reordering of albums from the 70’s on lists comprised in 2003 and again 2020. The music hasn’t changed! I’d argue the influence of those albums shouldn’t have changed relative to each other, either. Probably the make-up of the voters and what they value has.

Edited by Prophet Zacharia

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I agree, and I was reading the 2003 list just now to see how much has swung in 17 years. “A lot” is the answer. I dont know enough about rap or hip hop to have a knowledgeable voice on the 2020 list in that way. I starting to think of “top 100 rock albums” would be more my genre for opinion. And I’d exclude greatest hits or compilations out of principle. 

what i do find funny is the reordering of albums from the 70’s on lists comprised in 2003 and again 2020. The music hasn’t changed! I’d argue the influence of those albums shouldn’t have changed relative to each other, either. Probably the make-up of the voters and what they value has.

fucking millenials are to blame.  Or snow flakes, or something.  Not us old rocker fogeys for damn sure.  

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah. Put that on me. I may have to go buy it and give it another listen.

I think a curated single-disc Exile would be pretty great.  Too many double albums are weighed down by a bunch of lesser songs and I think this one is too. Yet "Shine A Light" might be my favorite Stones song. 

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t agree with some of it, but it’s an interesting read. I particularly disagree with Exiles on Main Street’s slide, but that’s almost a personal grudge for me.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

I don't agree with the list so I plan to protest by writing a letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah. Put that on me. I may have to go buy it and give it another listen.

It was my daily listen for my drive to work during the first three months of the pandemic, when no one was on the road. Hard rocking Rocks Off, Rip this Joint, then transitioning to blues Shake your hips, then into Casio Boogie and Tumblin dice make for a fast drive in. Happy, Ventilator Blues, stop breaking down and Soul Survior were the highlights of the drive home. Beat the news!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I think a curated single-disc Exile would be pretty great.  Too many double albums are weighed down by a bunch of lesser songs and I think this one is too. Yet "Shine A Light" might be my favorite Stones song. 

That “4th side” of the original 2 LP is pretty great. All down the line, stop breaking down, shine a light and Soul survivor. If I had to remove a side, it would be the B side of the first LP, Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed, Sweet Black Angel, Loving Cup. Not that I dislike them, but if I had to edit, that’s what I’d cut.

fortunately all fit on one CD, so the issue is moot. I can just skip over if my mood suggests.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

That “4th side” of the original 2 LP is pretty great. All down the line, stop breaking down, shine a light and Soul survivor. If I had to remove a side, it would be the B side of the first LP, Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed, Sweet Black Angel, Loving Cup. Not that I dislike them, but if I had to edit, that’s what I’d cut.

fortunately all fit on one CD, so the issue is moot. I can just skip over if my mood suggests.

Side two of Sticky Fingers is pretty damn awesome. 

• Heart 1