$100 for a bottle of bourbon

jsharr

I've never paid $100 for a Bourbon, so you'll have to do some research if you're willing to spend that.

I went to a Bourbon event, each guy brought their favorite, we did tastings and ratings.  After 22 samplings, mostly $50 and up, the one I brought was deemed the unanimous favorite.

$13.50

Heaven Hills Bottled in Bond.  It's the boutique version, Heaven Hills distills a lot of brands.  It's limited, available in only a few regions.  They had to raise the price to $35 because they couldn't convince millenials that a $13.50 Bourbon was excellent.

Just opened my last bottle this week.  I may have to take a road trip when it's done.

• Heart 1

I remember I bet an old boss (I don’t even remember the bet other than I lost).  If I lost I had to buy him a bottle of fancy bourbon that was around $100 20 years ago.

I lost and he said don’t worry about it but I paid my debt.  My wife shit her pants though as we had 2 small kids & one income at the time...

• Heart 1

$100 will get you a very nice bourbon. Without going too insane, I'd look at the following:

• Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
  • Blanton's Single Barrel
  • Blood Oath Pact No. 6

I'm definitely on the less expensive side...when I buy bourbon, it's usually Buffalo Trace.

Right now, I went to whiskey instead, I have a Bushmill's 10 year single malt in the larder.

9 hours ago, dennis said:

Are you so cheap that you bought just a half bottle or did you already drink half?

I thought you were taller.

That is the birthday boy.  He is an Aussie. and he had a few mates there.  We enjoyed the bourbon.  He got several bottles from different friends, so he is well set up in that area.

• Heart 1

I sold a bottle of Old Grand Dad bourbon for $75 a few years ago. It was from 1952 and still sealed with a cork plus had the Ohio tax stamp on it. There's a local collector who buys old sealed liquor bottles. He even has a few from during Prohibition. WoJSTL's grandfather gave us the bottle as part of our wedding present.

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, dennis said:

Blanton's is a damn fine bourbon. I drink it at my GF's since she has better taste than me. It's been a long time since I've had Early Times. I drink Evan Williams which is pretty good for under $15

You and I are alike. Blantons for the win. My fav. Evan Williams is Sooooo under rated. Best bourbon on a budget. There is always a handle in my camper. I prefer that with Diet Coke to beer unless it’s insanely hot out. 

• Heart 2

47 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

You and I are alike. Blantons for the win. My fav. Evan Williams is Sooooo under rated. Best bourbon on a budget. There is always a handle in my camper. I prefer that with Diet Coke to beer unless it’s insanely hot out. 

Evan Williams really is one of the best bargain bourbons. I just bought a bottle of the white label bottled-in-bond which I liked too. Very different from the black label, not as sweet.

Are you able to find the Heaven Hill bourbon that is only available in KY? I read about it somewhere. Apparently, is under $15 and sells out immediately. 

This is it: Heaven Hill 6 Year Old Bottled in Bond

A 6-year-old bourbon for less than $20 just would not stay on shelves anywhere else but Kentucky, so Heaven Hill doesn’t bother shipping it outside of the Commonwealth. It’s an excellent sipping bourbon for the price, an excellent mixing bourbon at any price, and if you’re going to be in the state, you shouldn’t think twice about buying a few bottles. $15

Evan Williamshh_white_bib_2016-79cc5051-e431-49ab-ad1c-af0df23ae609.png?w=800&quality=86&strip=all

• Heart 1

57 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

So there was a guy from Ireland there as well.  As the damn furriners were drinking dark frothy beers, but I had Coors Light Long Necks.  Adrian told me that Coors Light is super popular in Ireland!  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/27/2021 at 12:13 PM, dennis said:

Evan Williams really is one of the best bargain bourbons. I just bought a bottle of the white label bottled-in-bond which I liked too. Very different from the black label, not as sweet.

Are you able to find the Heaven Hill bourbon that is only available in KY? I read about it somewhere. Apparently, is under $15 and sells out immediately. 

A 6-year-old bourbon for less than $20 just would not stay on shelves anywhere else but Kentucky, so Heaven Hill doesn’t bother shipping it outside of the Commonwealth. It’s an excellent sipping bourbon for the price, an excellent mixing bourbon at any price, and if you’re going to be in the state, you shouldn’t think twice about buying a few bottles. $15

Evan Williamshh_white_bib_2016-79cc5051-e431-49ab-ad1c-af0df23ae609.png?w=800&quality=86&strip=all

Yep.  We see that.  I have actually toured HH.  Nice set up!

On 2/27/2021 at 2:33 PM, Philander Seabury said:

How does Larceny fit in?  Evan Williams Shirley sounds like the sweet spot. 

EW really is the shit!  Larceny is good.  I like the story behind it.  

"John E. Fitzgerald. Est. 1870. Very special small batch. John E. Fitzgerald's weakness was fine bourbon and he faced temptation every day. As treasury agent with the only set of keys to the rickhouses, taking from barrels was easy. But, he didn't just take from any barrels, he took from the best barrels. Some say he was a thief. Others claim he was a man of great taste. This is the legend of Larceny. Unlock the smoothness and decide for yourself. 92 proof. 46% alc./vol."

• Heart 1

On 2/26/2021 at 5:15 PM, jsharr said:

what would you buy?  Not for me.  For a good friend turning 50

My biggest splurge for things you can get a lot cheaper is that I once paid $50 for 8 oz. of coffee beans of then top-rated Panama Geisha grown at the 1600 ft elevation range and roasted by the U.S. defending-champion Barista in the USA and shipped in two days.

I did it for a family Christmas Dinner/Party, ground the beans after dinner to serve with desert, and it was a WOW experience: fantastic coffee.

I see from Coffee Review's list of the world's best coffees that their listed Geisha (rated "94" by Coffee Review) is $1300/4 oz.  WAY beyond reason!  Their #1 (rated 96) is Red Rooster Coffee Roaster's "Trust the Process - Full Natural" for $18.99/8 oz.  Coffees rated in the 80's are very good and relatively cheap ones include the Mayorga and other brands sold in for $9.99 to $16.99 in 2.5 - 3 lb bags at Costco and Peet's Major Dickason's Blend (rated 88) that was $7.99/12 oz. the last I looked at Walmart.

I'm not enough of a hard liquor drinker to appreciate a great bourbon enough to pay $100.  My little bottle of Bacardi Rum serves me just fine and is smoother than most other hard liquors.

$100 might be worth it on a really special occasion for a bourbon lover.  But yesterday I heard of a really ridiculous thing to buy.  At a family restaurant lunch gathering to support our cousin's place, my SiL talked about a greeting card that cost $15,000 and you can set up a monthly $360 payments!

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My biggest splurge for things you can get a lot cheaper is that I once paid $50 for 8 oz. of coffee beans of then top-rated Panama Geisha grown at the 1600 ft elevation range and roasted by the U.S. defending-champion Barista in the USA and shipped in two days.

I did it for a family Christmas Dinner/Party, ground the beans after dinner to serve with desert, and it was a WOW experience: fantastic coffee.

I see from Coffee Review's list of the world's best coffees that their listed Geisha (rated "94" by Coffee Review) is $1300/4 oz.  WAY beyond reason!  Their #1 (rated 96) is Red Rooster Coffee Roaster's "Trust the Process - Full Natural" for $18.99/8 oz.  Coffees rated in the 80's are very good and relatively cheap ones include the Mayorga and other brands sold in for $9.99 to $16.99 in 2.5 - 3 lb bags at Costco and Peet's Major Dickason's Blend (rated 88) that was $7.99/12 oz. the last I looked at Walmart.

I'm not enough of a hard liquor drinker to appreciate a great bourbon enough to pay $100.  My little bottle of Bacardi Rum serves me just fine and is smoother than most other hard liquors.

$100 might be worth it on a really special occasion for a bourbon lover.  But yesterday I heard of a really ridiculous thing to buy.  At a family restaurant lunch gathering to support our cousin's place, my SiL talked about a greeting card that cost $15,000 and you can set up a monthly $360 payments!

So the guy that I buy my coffee from was/is a Scotch drinker, but it cost too much to try nice bottles, so he got into coffee.  Now he orders green coffee beans from all over Central America and Africa and then custom roasts.  He charges $17.50 for a 16 oz bag.  

He said he was told that good coffee is like good scotch and if roasted corrrectly has lots of the same flavor profiles or some such.  He does not do dark roasts, as that burns a lot of the flavor out of the coffee, but many large roasters do this get consistent taste from less expensive beans.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:13 PM, dennis said:

That's the $13.50 Heaven Hill.  Actually, WAS.  After they got trashed by the millenials who scoff at anything of value, they kept it barrelled an extra year.  It's now 7 year,  $35, and not available in KY for a while.  They had to ship out of sate and start over.

I have one bottle left,  I need to find out where they are shipping it.