Tractor Supply is a great garden store!

Ralphie

Puts Lowe's and HD to shame!  I got yellow and red onion sets, a seed starting tray, and some trellis netting.  The clerk pulled a Kristen Wiig Target Checkoot Lady and asked where I got the netting. She is going to buy some for her husband.  The only problem was only common Burpee seeds, so no Lemon Boys, frisee, or chinese cukes, three things which I missed on my seed order.  I love Armenian cukes but they attract all the aphids from a hundred or so mile radius it seems like. :(  A real shame because those are marvelous!  I did buy a white variety of cuke for one of my odd things for the year.  The other was a winged bean which looks bizarre!

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Great store. The Airedales live going there to shop. They also know the cashier gives them a free cookie. 

Owl bet a herd of Airedales gets some attention!  I have not seen the miniature version, forget the name, that I used to see a lot at the park.  Irish or actually Welsh Terrier I think it was.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I buy some lamb supplies from them via the internet. Closest store is 75 miles away in Glendive, and the next closest is in Billings.

They have some of the best web/brick and mortar integration I have ever seen - the inventories in both match perfectly.  Other stores could learn a lot from that as well.  My first impression is of a very well-run busyness, which is quite refreshing. :)

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Puts Lowe's and HD to shame!  I got yellow and red onion sets, a seed starting tray, and some trellis netting.  The clerk pulled a Kristen Wiig Target Checkoot Lady and asked where I got the netting. She is going to buy some for her husband.  The only problem was only common Burpee seeds, so no Lemon Boys, frisee, or chinese cukes, three things which I missed on my seed order.  I love Armenian cukes but they attract all the aphids from a hundred or so mile radius it seems like. :(  A real shame because those are marvelous!  I did buy a white variety of cuke for one of my odd things for the year.  The other was a winged bean which looks bizarre!

Order some ladybugs to eat the aphids. I think praying mantis eat aphids too. Problem solved!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

Order some ladybugs to eat the aphids. I think praying mantis eat aphids too. Problem solved!

Hmm, good idea!  But will they stick around until the aphids arrive?  Sounds like a chicken and egg problem.  I guess I could order the lady bugs when I notice the first aphid, and hope delivery is fast!  But these days it is snot. :(

Owl bet a herd of Airedales gets some attention!  I have not seen the miniature version, forget the name, that I used to see a lot at the park.  Irish or actually Welsh Terrier I think it was.

Welsh have the black saddle like an Airedale. They are crazier than the larger Airedales. The Irish are all red. I would own one of them. 

Tractor Supply is one of my regular stops, even have their store credit card, saved me a couple hundred dollars on my pellet stove.

They overlap with Lowes quite a bit, but Tractor Supply has a more laid back, personal feel to the store that I prefer to Lowes more corporate feel.

We have a garden supply place down the road a mile or so that puts them both to shame though. The sales people at the garden place wear muddy boots and know what they are talking about. Cost's a bit more But I have never been disappointed in anything I've bought there.

Are you getting close to planting ?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

Are you getting close to planting ?

Yes, for onion sets, sugar snap peas, and Swiss chard. I figure I’ll stagger some plantings to see if I can get away with being very early.

No indoor starting for a while, since I am only planning that for summer things like cukes and beans. Owl just buy tomato and pepper plants because I have not had very good results  starting those with just natural light. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

We have a garden supply place down the road a mile or so that puts them both to shame though. The sales people at the garden place wear muddy boots and know what they are talking about. Cost's a bit more But I have never been disappointed in anything I've bought there.

We lost our equivalent decades ago.  That was an awesome store!  They had perlite, vermiculite, greensand, sulfur, onion sets, etc.  The closest thing to it still in operation is where I buy my seedlings, but it is just a plain old nursery/garden store, with no bulk stuff like the old place had.

Yes, for onion sets, sugar snap peas, and Swiss chard. I figure I’ll stagger some plantings to see if I can get away with being very early.

No indoor starting for a while, since I am only planning that for summer things like cukes and beans. Owl just buy tomato and pepper plants because I have not had very good results  starting those with just natural light. 

I bought a seed heating mat and grow lights. Have a much better selection of seeds than transplants. Be time to start the seeds pretty soon.

27 minutes ago, Further said:

I bought a seed heating mat and grow lights. Have a much better selection of seeds than transplants. Be time to start the seeds pretty soon.

I've never used a heating pad or grow lights.  I used to have a florescent setup in the basement, but I used cool white bubs.  What a maroon!  :D

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

I've never used a heating pad or grow lights.  I used to have a florescent setup in the basement, but I used cool white bubs.  What a maroon!  :D

Starting a lot of pepper seeds, I've read that they are very temp sensitive, the room they will be in is usally around 60 degrees so I'll try the heating pad. LED grow lights weren't very expensive and should last longer than me.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, Philander Seabury said:

I love Armenian cukes but they attract all the aphids from a hundred or so mile radius it seems like. :(

I'm not much of a gardener, but I think putting out a few pie tins filled with beer with solve your problem.

The beer doesn't kill the aphids, but it will attract volunteer firemen from a hundred or so mile radius, and after they drink the beer they are usually in the right mind frame to help pick the aphids off the cukes.

• Heart 2