Do you qualify?

Square Wheels

My son ran in 2008. It was an amazing experience and made me really want to qualify. I did my first half in 2010. I ran my best half in 2013. That pace was near BQ pace. A full was plausible, but right around then they upped the standard significantly. A BQ became a pipe dream for me. 

6 minutes ago, groupw said:

My son ran in 2008. It was an amazing experience and made me really want to qualify. I did my first half in 2010. I ran my best half in 2013. That pace was near BQ pace. A full was plausible, but right around then they upped the standard significantly. A BQ became a pipe dream for me. 

What’s that saying, a marathon is twice the distance of a half but more than twice the effort.  I had seen many a person break down between miles 18-21.  I did it myself as I was on pace for a sub 4 marathon but had a melt down, had to walk for a while to recover as my pace was too high to sustain & finished in 5...

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What’s that saying, a marathon is twice the distance of a half but more than twice the effort.  I had seen many a person break down between miles 18-21.  I did it myself as I was on pace for a sub 4 marathon but had a melt down, had to walk for a while to recover as my pace was too high to sustain & finished in 5...

Very true. I had issues in that area on my only marathon. Part of it was a shoe fit issue that never presented itself until I got into that stage of the marathon. It also rained that morning before the race. When the sun came out at mile 7 for me, it turned into a sauna! Even experienced marathoners were struggling. 
I was disappointed in my time and knew I had left time on the table. I thought about doing another, but the level of focus to train for a full is so much more than a half. I would rather ride my bike...

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah, the long slow training run is the key. Ya gotta get the brain used to the duration of the run, not really any different than a looong bike ride. 

• Heart 1