Bayonets

Randomguy

Yes, it's known as the M9 now.

Ok.  I have been watching whatever channel the War Channel calls itself now, "Vietnam in HD" was the program.  The good guys (Americans, natch) were all set up to spear the evil chinamen once the bullets ran dry was what made me think of that.

I thought the M9 was a Baretta sidearm used by some officers.

the M16 was the standard issue rifle last I checked. The M9 is a pistol, you're right about that

The Marines definitely still train with the bayonet, RG

yea, I don't know what the sidearm is now

I had to look it up (on the Interwebs so who knows if its right or not) and unofficial websites seem to say that the M4 is standard issue in the Army and the M16 is standard issue in the Marines

That makes sense since I know some Marines and don't know any Army guys.

the M4 is a shorter version of the M16, so it would be better for street fighting, maybe that's why the Army uses that one now

I was in the Corps and I only remember it as the bayonet or, er, knife.

We trained with it during basic, I never used it again outside of maybe a few parade deck gatherings, that I recall anyway. The ones we had in basic were rusted to hell anyways. It felt to me as if half the shit we trained with was WW2 surplus gear. I think our pugil stick chants involved phrases like "You'll get yours you lousy Kraut", and "I'll be singing along to Glenn Miller after you're dead!". Now our troops are all matchy matchy with every bit of their gear having the same camo scheme and lookin all 21st century.

I was in the Corps and I only remember it as the bayonet or, er, knife.

We trained with it during basic, I never used it again outside of maybe a few parade deck gatherings, that I recall anyway. The ones we had in basic were rusted to hell anyways. It felt to me as if half the shit we trained with was WW2 surplus gear. I think our pugil stick chants involved phrases like "You'll get yours you lousy Kraut", and "I'll be singing along to Glenn Miller after you're dead!". Now our troops are all matchy matchy with every bit of their gear having the same camo scheme and lookin all 21st century.

When did Nate become Olas? or is it the other way around?

When did Nate become Olas? or is it the other way around?

Whatcha talkin 'bout Willis?

Yes, I actually was in these United States' Marine Corps. A lot later than when I was joking ('90-'91), but we did have an awful lot of old crap for training purposes in use, and they acted like we were gonna go kick us some red commie tail and if not that, then we'd rustle up some Nazis somewhere to fight. I'm sure it's different now, but the 'Go get some Russkie' mindset was VERY prevalent in the Corps at that time....

The bayonets though, those things were ancient. In fact, the first one they gave me was so rusted that it wouldn't attach, so I was the 'slovenly soldier' on one occasion trying to get me 'tunic buttoned, or rather, fixing my bayonet, but I couldn't due to the rust. I remember this incident because some pansy arse DI from Pendleton was there, and instead of beating me senseless like a good and proper DI should (if he'd been from Parris), he just told the recruit next to me to 'fix him'. I think we spent 15min on that bayonet before deciding we needed another. I remember watching the movie 'Zulu' some years later and saying out loud during the bayonet scene... "Hey!"....LOL