Dutch oven bread

Airehead

I miss baking bread in my automatic breadmaker.  I also used it for pizza dough, dough for dinner and sub rolls and super-easy banana bread dough.

The automatic loaf shape sucked, so I just used the dough cycle, poured it into a loaf pan, let it rise, and then baked it.

The automatic bread makers tend to make dense breads that are great with soup. One tsp of Vital Wheat Gluten per cup of bread flour and it comes out like light, airy store-bought bread.

I'm limited to low-carb bread due to diabetes so I'll have to check out low-carb bread recipes before I get a new automatic bread maker.

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, 12string said:

My wife has been making that lately.  Hasn't really been rising.  Last time she mentioned that the recipe said to preheat the pot, maybe she'll try that.

She's really good at deciding all the little details aren't always required when cooking or baking.

You must preheat the pot for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.  Don't short cut this.  This allows the moisture in the sticky dough to turn to steam and cause the bread to rise nicely and form a "good crumb".

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You must preheat the pot for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.  Don't short cut this.  This allows the moisture in the sticky dough to turn to steam and cause the bread to rise nicely and form a "good crumb".

Thanks!  I think next time she makes the bread without bothering with details like this, at the dinner table I will quote you directly.  Though it may come out sounding like "I like it chewy"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Thanks!  I think next time she makes the bread without bothering with details like this, at the dinner table I will quote you directly.  Though it may come out sounding like "I like it chewy"

Cooking is an art--- do whatever you like.

Baking is a science--- measure and follow the directions.  For bread I weigh ingredients in grams.

• Heart 1