One year ago...

petitepedal

I actually don't remember the exact details of the day we were asked to work from home. Alot of the office employees had not been prepared by IT in advance.  I think at least 1 day was wasted for me to figure out with IT since they were swamped with technical support calls.

By then dearie, had left over 1 wk. before after my birthday.

I was suddenly work-from home. Shortly after, so was my wife.

I had a wife. We had four cats.

I had a very different life.  I have no idea what my life will be like now. While some things haven't changed, it's as if my life is an Etch-A-Sketch that someone shook very hard. You can see the traces of old lines across the screen; but it's largely blank, except I'm a lot higher-mileage than I was when my life was last like this.

When I was last like this, I was physically in great shape; I wasn't mature enough to understand my life. Now I'm mature enough, but a big physical piece of me is used up.  And I trust persons...but I no longer trust humanity.

And I miss Charles Schultz.

spacer.png

• Hugs 3

We were driving to AZ to see the girls. We had a wonderful brunch 1 year ago with a cycling buddy who now lives near Santa Fe. After a week with our kids,and a great visit with @roadsueand family, things started getting more concerning, but we still felt ok with @petitepedal visiting the next weekend. It was great to host her. The day after she left, I stopped at Runza to grab a lunch to go. As luck would have it a good friend was getting her lunch and asked if I would join her. That was the last casual lunch with a friend to date. Things locked down a couple days later. 

• Heart 1

I forget when we started working from home, but I do recall going out for a St Patrick's Day dinner with my family to a nearby Irish pub.   We've gone there for years, and it's always packed with happy sounds of people enjoying each other's company (and a good corned beef dinner).  My Mom always described the restaurant as a  happy buzz.

But last year, although indoor dining was still allowed, the restaurant was pretty empty.  No happy buzz, just that sort of awkward feeling when you're a guest at a bad party and you want to leave, but are afraid if you do, the host will be left with nobody there.

Today I was just exchanging texts with my sisters to coordinate a day in March when we'll get takeout dinners from the restaurant and celebrate at my sister's house.

I remember my sister, before February 2020 was out, telling me that her cancer research unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital was gearing up do switch over, for the foreseeable future, to do major research about COVID and expecting something potentially major either in the Spring or, if it died down in warm weather like the flu, in the Fall.

Of course, my house decided that it's old wiring needed to cause a fire on March 3, leaving me scrambling for food, clothes, etc. at a bad time to look for them.

I was told "9 months to a year" estimate to rebuild the house the night of the fire and thought it would be shorter. It's later: my contractor's expecting I'll be back in the house April or May.