Do you ever put off small tasks

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

and then afterward wonder why you did?

Case in point.  Both showers have been dripping.  Ordered rebuild kits for the stems months ago, but never installed them.  Yesterday afternoon Ryan and I grabbed our tools, turned off the water and rebuilt the stems, replaced the old knobs and now we have silky smooth stems that do not drip in both bathrooms.  It was very satisfying to take a shower this AM and have no dripping showerhead before or after.   And it had to be cositing me money every month to have dripping plumbing, and I was wasting a precious resource to boot.

The trip to Home Depot cost me an extra $100 as Ryan had a cheesy old ceiling fan in his room that was remote control only and burned through expensive bulbs, so his room was always dark.  Bought a new fan that takes cheap LED bulbs and he did the removal and install himself.   All I did was install the grommets and anvils on the fan blades while he hung and wired the new fan.  

However, between helping with repairing the broken pipe, rebuilding the shower stems and installing new valve seats and hanging a ceiling fan, I am sure Ryan earned a few merit badges for Scouts, or at least did the bigger part of a few.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

For me, plumbing and electrical work are usually big jobs.  I usually don't put them or minor carpentry work off unless I'm researching what I want to replace something with.

Little jobs are more like washing clothes and dishes and straightening up a room.  I put them off a little.

My trick is to put limits on putting things off or doing them a little at a time.

For example, I'm usually cooking for myself and limit myself to using one dish, fork, pot, etc. and clean them after use rather than use another clean one first. That, of course, means I wash them by hand. if I get lazy and don't wash all my dishes, I make it mandatory that I wash them all before I eat breakfast.  I know myself: If I don't stick to those kinds of things, accumulated cleaning tasks will get out of hand.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I put off plumbing and other home repair small tasks because I am afeared of them turning into big tasks. 

For me, there is no such thing as a small home repair.  They either turn into big repairs or they lead to a myriad of other quasi-related home repairs.  :angry:

17 minutes ago, Clark said:

For me, there is no such thing as a small home repair.  They either turn into big repairs or they lead to a myriad of other quasi-related home repairs.  :angry:

I need about all my 35 year old shutoff valves replaced. My old car pool guy replaced my kitchen sink ones, but I can’t ask him to do all the rest. I could try to force them closed but that could turn into a disaster if that causes a packing leak.