If you could not be from the country you are from, where would you be from.

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

I think French.  The French seem to me to enjoy life more than most others.

I even considered, after retiring, moving to Cannes as a base of operations and doing a lot of traveling in Europe, N. Africa, and the Middle East for several years.

Being distant from family and friends shot that down.

• Heart 1

Since most of my grandparents are Irish, I guess I'd say Ireland, but  I've never been there I guess I can't really say if I'd like it or not.  Of the places I've actually visited, I guess I'd say Canada because I've been there the most.  Plus I could visit our Canadian forum members  :nodhead:  Plus it's not too hot.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Since most of my grandparents are Irish, I guess I'd say Ireland, but  I've never been there I guess I can't really say if I'd like it or not.  Of the places I've actually visited, I guess I'd say Canada because I've been there the most.  Plus I could visit our Canadian forum members  :nodhead:  Plus it's not too hot.

Do pm me if ever Alberta or Vancouver is part of your travel plans.  

I want to meet the friendly cycling frog who loves figure skating chamionships.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Switzerland...if I could afford it, but tempting with neighboring France as an alternative. Actually, Italy and Spain are better on the affordability scale while still providing excellent support services (medical, etc).

As you know, my daughter is married to a Swiss national and lives in Switzerland. Grandson is dual but at 18 will have to decide and currently travels on a Swiss passport. Daughter, after 7 years will b eligible to apply and giver her lack of desire to return to the US, will be interesting. 

• Heart 2

19 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Turks and Caicos in the Caribbean would work for me....

I'm pretty sure, and it may actually be a written unwritten rule, that all CAnadians would FIRST choose to be Americans.  With the good old USA, you'd get Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands, plus a few more exotic islands in the Pacific with nice SCUBA options.  Heck, Puerto Rico is a fairly large Caribbean option, and you'd still be an American!

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

I would be from a place with mountains and gender equality. 

Colorado is already a US state :scratchhead:

19 hours ago, dennis said:

New Zealand.

Have you discussed going halfsies on a large sailboat with jsharr and setting sail for the ANZ?  He could drop you in NZ and continue to Australia on his own.  I bet, though, you would love the rugged skiing of NZ vs the groomed and mega-resort style of skiing in the US. Even our short time there showed that there was a crap ton of outdoor adventure to be had and a lot of folks embracing it. Tons of cycling (as @shootingstar's man could also attest), and lots of camping, hiking, and water adventures as well.  Very remote, and that shows away from the bigger towns and cities, but definitely an outdoorsy wonderland.

20 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have decided I could be from Australia if I was not from Texas.

Honestly, even a Texan used to Texas awful heat, Australia takes it up a notch.  I never felt like I was being slow roasted as I did in Australia.  Only Vegas in the summer felts more insanely hot on my skin.  And we weren't even there at the height of summer.  Sunscreen was basically a requirement even for something like taking a dog for a short walk.

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm pretty sure, and it may actually be a written unwritten rule, that all CAnadians would FIRST choose to be Americans

No...., not a thing.  I think most Canadians if asked would choose Australia or New Zealand, followed by any country where even with my inability to skate with the puck with my head up, I would still be considered a good hockey player, 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

No...., not a thing.  I think most Canadians if asked would choose Australia or New Zealand, followed by any country where even with my inability to skate with the puck with my head up, I would still be considered a good hockey player, 

Still, Hawaii and USVI have fantastic water options - swimming, scuba, sailing, beachcombing, etc..  If you chose USVI, it is also a short hop-skip-jump to all the other islands as well.  You can do a minor tour of Europe fairly easily down there :)

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Still, Hawaii and USVI have fantastic water options - swimming, scuba, sailing, beachcombing, etc..  If you chose USVI, it is also a short hop-skip-jump to all the other islands as well.  You can do a minor tour of Europe fairly easily down there :)

Yeah, but my favorite ballcap happens to be red, and I want to live somewhere where I will be able to wear it without people being all judgie.

Plus..., your money is so........   green

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm pretty sure, and it may actually be a written unwritten rule, that all CAnadians would FIRST choose to be Americans.  With the good old USA, you'd get Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands, plus a few more exotic islands in the Pacific with nice SCUBA options.  Heck, Puerto Rico is a fairly large Caribbean option, and you'd still be an American!

Canadians can go to Cuba...American's can't (ignoring specific exceptions of specialized limited group tour canceled by Trump but not re-instated yet)

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So, you don't even have to leave the US and can head "home" :D

The premise of the question is that I'm not home in the US.

My alternate reality home would have mountains and gender equality, too.

So, not Afghanistan or Mexico.

Possibly Canada.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

How about if you are/were/would be fluent in the language of the new country?  Would that swing the needle away from Canada to some other countries in the world?

I like Canada. They have poutine.

• Sad 1