Jump to content

Tell Me Of Your Festivities


jsharr
 Share

Go to solution Solved by 2Far,

Recommended Posts

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I think we should all agree to drink through straws at noon today, Texas time, in one giant forum suck?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I think we should all agree to drink through straws at noon today, Texas time, in one giant forum suck?

So why did Texas come whimpering into the USA???  Bit off more they could chew and had to find a big brother to protect them from the scary Mexicans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So why did Texas come whimpering into the USA???  Bit off more they could chew and had to find a big brother to protect them from the scary Mexicans?

Actually, Texas applied for annexation the in 1836 when the declared Independence from Mexico.   Texas was a slave owning state, so that and fear of a US war with Mexico kept that from happening.  After nearly a decade of political manuevering in DC, Texas President Tyler signed an annexation bill to allow Texas to rejoin the union.  Texas ratified the agreement and President Polk signed the bill in Dec of 1845 and Texas offically rejoined the Union in February of 1846.  

I think the primary driver behind the desire to rejoin was to give an appearance of security to potential settlers, moving to an area protected by the laws of the United States, and not dependant on itself to fight off Mexico and the general lawlessness of the Republic of Texas.  Was still a pretty rough place.    

The sharr clan did not arrive until 1846 or 1847, so I missed out on being a Son of the Republic of Texas and the right to call myself a Texian or Texican.  I am just a lowly, sucky Texan.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Actually, Texas applied for annexation the in 1836 when the declared Independence from Mexico.   Texas was a slave owning state, so that and fear of a US war with Mexico kept that from happening.  After nearly a decade of political manuevering in DC, Texas President Tyler signed an annexation bill to allow Texas to rejoin the union.  Texas ratified the agreement and President Polk signed the bill in Dec of 1845 and Texas offically rejoined the Union in February of 1846.  

I think the primary driver behind the desire to rejoin was to give an appearance of security to potential settlers, moving to an area protected by the laws of the United States, and not dependant on itself to fight off Mexico and the general lawlessness of the Republic of Texas.  Was still a pretty rough place.    

The sharr clan did not arrive until 1846 or 1847, so I missed out on being a Son of the Republic of Texas and the right to call myself a Texian or Texican.  I am just a lowly, sucky Texan.  

All that to say, "Yep, they needed a big brother to protect them"????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

All that to say, "Yep, they needed a big brother to protect them"????

Hey, give them credit.  They fought for independence from Mexico, asked to rejoin the same day and you yankee dickwads had to play politics for 10 years before letting them in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Hey, a poor decision like that requires a LOT of thought and discussion.

Not for me.  I often make poor decisions without giving them a moment of thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Not for me.  I often make poor decisions without giving them a moment of thought.

As Dean Martin once said, “Good decisions come from experience and experience comes from poor decisions.”

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

As Dean Martin once said, “Good decisions come from experience and experience comes from poor decisions.”

That and Scotch, at least for me and probably for Dean as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

The sharr clan did not arrive until 1846 or 1847, so I missed out on being a Son of the Republic of Texas and the right to call myself a Texian or Texican.  I am just a lowly, sucky Texan.  

I dont think my family arrived there until just after the Civil War, but now I must recheck.

My Great-great-GF designed this courthouse in Weatherford, but not until 1886.

4FD5F839-3E6D-4E71-BAE6-E250DFEEB359.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I took a dinner plate and turned it into a belt buckle just for today

That's noth'n.  I once stole a Texan's belt buckle and used it as a dinner plate.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I guess we still celebrate Thanksgiving, but we definitely don't celebrate the signing of the Magna Carta or Guy Fawkes Night, so it seems logical Texas give up on pre-US event celebrations!

Except Cinco de Mayo and maybe Día de Muertos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I think we should all agree to drink through straws at noon today, Texas time, in one giant forum suck?

You could flip Texas the bird and have your Dr. Pepper at 10:30, 2:30 and 4:30.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
23 hours ago, jsharr said:

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I think we should all agree to drink through straws at noon today, Texas time, in one giant forum suck?

Close this window

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I heard that this morning.  Businesses open 100% and no masks.  What a mess.

Yep.  Will be interested to see the final iteration of this.  Most schools are saying they will still require masks.  Sports teams in Dallas saying they will not go to full capacity and will require masks.  Many businesses still saying masks will be required.

I see this, sadly, as a political play by Abbott to gain back popularity lost when the power grid failed.  It will gain him some votes, but cost many their lives I fear.  I will wear a mask and be cautious still.   

TEXAS SUCKS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...