Tell Me Of Your Festivities

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by 2Far,

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I think we should all agree to drink through straws at noon today, Texas time, in one giant forum suck?

So why did Texas come whimpering into the USA???  Bit off more they could chew and had to find a big brother to protect them from the scary Mexicans?

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So why did Texas come whimpering into the USA???  Bit off more they could chew and had to find a big brother to protect them from the scary Mexicans?

Actually, Texas applied for annexation the in 1836 when the declared Independence from Mexico.   Texas was a slave owning state, so that and fear of a US war with Mexico kept that from happening.  After nearly a decade of political manuevering in DC, Texas President Tyler signed an annexation bill to allow Texas to rejoin the union.  Texas ratified the agreement and President Polk signed the bill in Dec of 1845 and Texas offically rejoined the Union in February of 1846.  

I think the primary driver behind the desire to rejoin was to give an appearance of security to potential settlers, moving to an area protected by the laws of the United States, and not dependant on itself to fight off Mexico and the general lawlessness of the Republic of Texas.  Was still a pretty rough place.    

The sharr clan did not arrive until 1846 or 1847, so I missed out on being a Son of the Republic of Texas and the right to call myself a Texian or Texican.  I am just a lowly, sucky Texan.  

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Actually, Texas applied for annexation the in 1836 when the declared Independence from Mexico.   Texas was a slave owning state, so that and fear of a US war with Mexico kept that from happening.  After nearly a decade of political manuevering in DC, Texas President Tyler signed an annexation bill to allow Texas to rejoin the union.  Texas ratified the agreement and President Polk signed the bill in Dec of 1845 and Texas offically rejoined the Union in February of 1846.  

I think the primary driver behind the desire to rejoin was to give an appearance of security to potential settlers, moving to an area protected by the laws of the United States, and not dependant on itself to fight off Mexico and the general lawlessness of the Republic of Texas.  Was still a pretty rough place.    

The sharr clan did not arrive until 1846 or 1847, so I missed out on being a Son of the Republic of Texas and the right to call myself a Texian or Texican.  I am just a lowly, sucky Texan.  

All that to say, "Yep, they needed a big brother to protect them"????

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

All that to say, "Yep, they needed a big brother to protect them"????

Hey, give them credit.  They fought for independence from Mexico, asked to rejoin the same day and you yankee dickwads had to play politics for 10 years before letting them in. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I dont think my family arrived there until just after the Civil War, but now I must recheck.

My Great-great-GF designed this courthouse in Weatherford, but not until 1886.

4FD5F839-3E6D-4E71-BAE6-E250DFEEB359.png

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

to celebrate Texas Independence Day today on the 185th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence?

I guess we still celebrate Thanksgiving, but we definitely don't celebrate the signing of the Magna Carta or Guy Fawkes Night, so it seems logical Texas give up on pre-US event celebrations!

Except Cinco de Mayo and maybe Día de Muertos.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

I think we should all agree to drink through straws at noon today, Texas time, in one giant forum suck?

You could flip Texas the bird and have your Dr. Pepper at 10:30, 2:30 and 4:30.  

• Heart 1

• Solution
23 hours ago, jsharr said:

Close this window

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I heard that this morning.  Businesses open 100% and no masks.  What a mess.

Yep.  Will be interested to see the final iteration of this.  Most schools are saying they will still require masks.  Sports teams in Dallas saying they will not go to full capacity and will require masks.  Many businesses still saying masks will be required.

I see this, sadly, as a political play by Abbott to gain back popularity lost when the power grid failed.  It will gain him some votes, but cost many their lives I fear.  I will wear a mask and be cautious still.   

TEXAS SUCKS.