FIVE RIDES! :-( Just FIVE Rides

Razors Edge

...before the rat pinko commie roads of Kalifornia destroyed my tire.

1423190145_IMG_9698(Large).thumb.jpg.c12cbb8703f2b7ecae2bf22861fe5694.jpg

1298301279_IMG_9699(Large).thumb.jpg.d2562fd52cedce14c8fb5e24397dafd6.jpg

Of course, after a few minutes taking my time to change the tube, I was still on my way to the majestic Pacific Ocean, and got to spend a nice part of the ride with the waves just off my right shoulder, so there is that :)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

Only someone named bikeman carries duct/gorilla tape in his seat bag.

LOL, I don't carry it, but I would use a dollar. Once home, I'd use a piece of tape :)

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Or pull the tiny little staple and ride on.

Depending on the hole side, a tube could squeeze thru it and blow. I've used tape on the inside of the tire. A tube isn't going to bust thru that.

• Hugs 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Depending on the hole side, a tube could squeeze thru it and blow. I've used tape on the inside of the tire. A tube isn't going to bust thru that.

I have a dollar bill from several years ago that I used to boot a sliced sidewall.  I put over 400 miles on the dollar.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I'm sorry, @Razors Edge, I have to agree with Kzoo that we're not looking at a ruined tire.

Put a folded up dollar bill inside your tire over the puncture, pump up and get back to riding.

Yeah - not even remotely ruined.  When I pulled the staple out, the hole was tiny and won't be an issue later on.  No boot required. Just a quick tube swap, and on my way. Tubeless would have sealed it without the fuss, but all is right with the world - despite the ongoing mild weather that keeps requiring me to get outside. 

This place is just twisted with it's focus on outdoor sun and fun.  I mean WTF???? It is WINTER for god's sake and all people seem to be doing here is riding, walking, running, skating, surfing(!), or hiking around!  It's like they are nutso for outdoor fun. If I see one more moran driving around in a convertible with the roof down, I am gonna lose it. I'll never fit in :(

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - not even remotely ruined.  When I pulled the staple out, the hole was tiny and won't be an issue later on.  No boot required. Just a quick tube swap, and on my way. Tubeless would have sealed it without the fuss, but all is right with the world - despite the ongoing mild weather that keeps requiring me to get outside. 

This place is just twisted with it's focus on outdoor sun and fun.  I mean WTF???? It is WINTER for god's sake and all people seem to be doing here is riding, walking, running, skating, surfing(!), or hiking around!  It's like they are nutso for outdoor fun. If I see one more moran driving around in a convertible with the roof down, I am gonna lose it. I'll never fit in :(

And yet, there you are. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...before the rat pinko commie roads of Kalifornia destroyed my tire.

1423190145_IMG_9698(Large).thumb.jpg.c12cbb8703f2b7ecae2bf22861fe5694.jpg

1298301279_IMG_9699(Large).thumb.jpg.d2562fd52cedce14c8fb5e24397dafd6.jpg

Of course, after a few minutes taking my time to change the tube, I was still on my way to the majestic Pacific Ocean, and got to spend a nice part of the ride with the waves just off my right shoulder, so there is that :)

I'm not sure if I should be sad you got a flat, or happy you got it fixed and got a nice ride in.  

Either way I am a bit jealous you are riding there and I am not

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I carry a boot I made from a Capri sun packet. They are tough, I think they are Mylar. I haven’t had to use it because I use hard case tires but I think it will work well if I ever need it.

Yeah - that would work and you certainly can cut them into nice "boot" sizes.  The only time I ever actually destroyed a tire to the level where a boot would be required to complete the ride was on a commute to work one day.  About half way into the 30 mile ride, crossing the bridge into Georgetown, I ran over the broken base of a glass bottle.  Instant destruction and gashes rather than a hole.  Luckily, I was literally 100 yds or less from TWO bike shops, so I walked over and was likely the first customer of the day.  Bought a new tire and tube, and was out of there fairly fast.  Otherwise, I would have booted the tire, and used my own spare tube to continue, but would have likely had my co-worker take me by Performance at lunch time, since that tire would have never been reliable after those gashes.

• Awesome 1

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - that would work and you certainly can cut them into nice "boot" sizes.  The only time I ever actually destroyed a tire to the level where a boot would be required to complete the ride was on a commute to work one day.  About half way into the 30 mile ride, crossing the bridge into Georgetown, I ran over the broken base of a glass bottle.  Instant destruction and gashes rather than a hole.  Luckily, I was literally 100 yds or less from TWO bike shops, so I walked over and was likely the first customer of the day.  Bought a new tire and tube, and was out of there fairly fast.  Otherwise, I would have booted the tire, and used my own spare tube to continue, but would have likely had my co-worker take me by Performance at lunch time, since that tire would have never been reliable after those gashes.

Pfffft... Just a few gashes.

Grow a pair, snowflake!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Last night I met my friend for our Thurs night ride and he says, uh how far you wanna go?  I said I’m actually not feeling it today and almost cancelled. No way, I almost called you to cancel!  

We ended up going on an easy 9 mile out & back for 18 total and stopped at Corona Del Mar & watched the sunset.  We sat for so long my legs were really stiff from sitting so long!  When I got home WOChrisL says, sounds like a romantic date!  😂

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I thought it was ironic that those cost aboot a dollar each. :D

I guess the difference is if you use a dollar bill, you can get it back.

I've only used one of the boots. A group ride a couple of years ago, this guy blew out his tire and it was bad sidewall gash. He was going to throw in the towel and call his wife for a bailout. I gave him a boot and it actually worked.