I must be the only one here who hasn't been vaccinated

Some Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Clark said:

I am also one of the oldest people here, but somehow the Virginia Health Dept doesn't seem to give a shit.   :angry:

The dreaded MIL was able to get hers? She’s in the Fredericksburg area and is 73 or 4.   I haven’t either but at my age am not a priority.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The dreaded MIL was able to get hers? She’s in the Fredericksburg area and is 73 or 4.   I haven’t either but at my age am not a priority.

My son's in-laws got theirs and they are 7 or 8 years younger than me.  Apparently, I have fallen through the crack.

I have registered twice; once with my city and once again with the state, but I hear nothing.  I guess I just have to wait until all the 20 year-olds in perfect health get theirs and then maybe they will get around to me.  And maybe not.    

I don’t even know how they got my name. I didn’t sign up for a shot. Maybe they got my name when I went to an Allegheny hospital last August after having a heart attack. They tested me and kept me overnight before shipping me off to a UPMC hospital in Erie for treatment.

• Heart 1

So my ex set up the shot for me because she is freaking out about covid.  I was just planning to wait my turn, but she set me up for the shot in NJ because I wouldn’t have been able to get it in New York. Apparently she told them I had been hospitalized with asthma previously. I do have asthma, but not that bad. When I was a kid it was worse and I do go to the ER a couple of times then.  Anyway, I got the shot in the middle of farm country way south of Philadelphia.  Long drive with the ex (she drove whilst I worked). 

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1
  • Envious 1

1 hour ago, Clark said:

I must be the only one here who hasn't been vaccinated

You are not the only one...  Maybe one of these days our county will contact me with a date for my vaccine. 

I know I'm not the oldest here... but I'm in the 65+ group that is eligible for the vaccine.   Our county has only vaccinated abut 9% of the population.  They get about 300 doses per week.  

In theory... I'm near the top of the list.   The population of our county is about 110,000 people... this may take a while.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

So my ex set up the shot for me because she is freaking out about covid.  I was just planning to wait my turn, but she set me up for the shot in NJ because I wouldn’t have been able to get it in New York. Apparently she told them I had been hospitalized with asthma previously. I do have asthma, but not that bad. When I was a kid it was worse and I do go to the ER a couple of times then.  Anyway, I got the shot in the middle of farm country way south of Philadelphia.  Long drive with the ex (she drove whilst I worked). 

Sounds like she still has strong feelings for the @Randomguy !    :wub:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

she told them I had been hospitalized with asthma previously.

When I filled out my registration, I could have indicated I had heart or lung disease and I would have been at the top of the list.  But I decided to do the honorable thing and answer honestly.  I think that is now biting me in the ass.  Everybody else probably lied.    :facepalm:

Here is the AARP site for Virginia vaccine info.  Have you tried checking with any local pharmacies?

https://states.aarp.org/virginia/covid-19-vaccine-distribution

There is also a facebook page for people in Northern Virginia.  Not sure where you are, but there are facebook and reddit groups as well for many locations with helpful info:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-in-virginia/facebook-group-helps-people-find-vaccines-in-northern-virginia/2592571/

• Heart 2

55 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I am not old enough to get it yet.  I believe our governor said people in a high risk group can start getting the vaccine on the 22nd.   

Well truth be told we were living with her mother who was over 70 so that qualified us. But now that we have moved out we technically don't qualify. It's a bit of moral bind but I suppose I am not losing sleep over it.

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well truth be told we were living with her mother who was over 70 so that qualified us. But now that we have moved out we technically don't qualify. It's a bit of moral bind but I suppose I am not losing sleep over it.

When I registered for the vaccine with the state, it actually never dawned on me to tell a little white lie or two.  I have had a few medical problems in the past that I could have easily claimed, but I guess I thought that embellishing my medical condition wouldn't be necessary and that my age alone would quickly get me near the top of the list.

Obviously, I screwed up.  Honesty doesn't pay.   :(

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Clark said:

I am also one of the oldest people here, but somehow the Virginia Health Dept doesn't seem to give a shit.   :angry:

If VA is as messed up as MD in administering the program, you've got to check out pharmacies, etc. that are giving the shots yourself early in the morning, ideally beginning at 7 am and checking every 15 min. til 9 am.  I was NEVER contacted by the places I had pre-registered - county health dept, the U. of MD hospital system where I have a patient portal, and a couple other places.

By sheer luck, I thought about the pharmacy closest to my home one morning and decided to check the Walgreen's link that was among the COVID vaccine site links my family doctor's practice sent me and found appointments available at that location  at 8:45 am.  That was 2/23, I got the 1st shot on 2/24 and have an appointment for the 2nd on 3/24.  ALL due to luck.

My BiL, 67 and living 15 min. from me, has been trying to get an appointment and no luck.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:49 PM, Clark said:

When I registered for the vaccine with the state, it actually never dawned on me to tell a little white lie or two.  I have had a few medical problems in the past that I could have easily claimed, but I guess I thought that embellishing my medical condition wouldn't be necessary and that my age alone would quickly get me near the top of the list.

Obviously, I screwed up.  Honesty doesn't pay.   :(

At only 10% fully vaccinated, that seems about right that you may not have been hit yet.  I figure I will be in the final quartile that gets vaccinated, but that may actually at closer to the 50% "fully vaccinated" level due to the large group of "anti-vax" or "waiting for new data" folks.

image.png.d0c40722452be11aeadfc304e2c36ec5.png

image.png.b2ac521c848f93a48cdd83621f3923dd.png

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

At only 10% fully vaccinated, that seems about right that you may not have been hit yet.  I figure I will be in the final quartile that gets vaccinated, but that may actually at closer to the 50% "fully vaccinated" level due to the large group of "anti-vax" or "waiting for new data" folks.

image.png.d0c40722452be11aeadfc304e2c36ec5.png

image.png.b2ac521c848f93a48cdd83621f3923dd.png

I would have thought that at my age (73), I would at least be in the top 18.5 percent of vaccine eligible persons.  

Clark, the GoodRX site has some additional information, including links to the registration sites for particular pharmacies.  they may not have some now, but it's good to register wherever you can and keep checking availability. 

https://www.goodrx.com/covid-19/virginia

• Heart 1

Here's an article in USA Today about other crowdsourcing assistance, including a link to another site designed to help match people with open pharmacy appointments:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/02/covid-19-vaccination-appointment-system-coronavirus/6838918002/

https://www.vaccinespotter.org/

17 hours ago, Clark said:

I would have thought that at my age (73), I would at least be in the top 18.5 percent of vaccine eligible persons.  

Weird, in Fairfax, we are in the 65+ range for a while now.  But that may not mean you get the shot very quickly despite being eligible.

image.thumb.png.7fd1eea7cdffbc900ccdf81629e66584.png

On 3/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, Randomguy said:

HEY!   THAT WAS MY SHOT!  GIVE IT BACK!

Got my first shot yesterday. Tuff guy can't look at the needle. Got it at the corner of happy & healthy (Walgreens)   the smaller shot callers seem to have better supply than the big mass casualty places. MIL is waiting for the one shot deal or I could get her in this week

IMG_20210308_222641_859.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Got my first shot yesterday. Tuff guy can't look at the needle. Got it at the corner of happy & healthy (Walgreens)   the smaller shot callers seem to have better supply than the big mass casualty places. MIL is waiting for the one shot deal or I could get her in this week

IMG_20210308_222641_859.jpg

Look at you.  This is great.  

• Heart 2

A co-worker called around to the walmarts and Sams clubs and asked if they had a "use it or lose it" list for vaccines that needed to be given before going to waste. He got a call yesterday at 8:45pm to go to a city about an hour away. He got his shot, he is 27.

I'm gonna call my local pharmacies tomorrow to get on those lists too.

• Heart 2

Got MIL in for Thursday at Wallymart. She wants the J&J one shot. I searched for the places that have that & tried a couple 'marts. She is 'appy. Supply is getting better here in Oregone. I got mine scheduled in a couple days. Same for her. Hope everyone here (that wants one) can get in soon. 

ran into a cousin on the path nearby. Found out she was an anti masker & a anti vaxer too. She was happy as a pig in doodoo when she visited Idaho (no you da ho) recently. muh freedom. I pointed out that the Idaho death rate is double Oregons. <mumble, mumble>

I guess all us vaxers are providing herd immunity for her

All these exceptions and little white lies on the applications demonstrates why CT went back to a purely by age list.  The only exceptions were for school staff for which a separate appointment schedule was made to vaccinate whole school systems by town.  

The exceptions list was gumming up the system so badly that lawsuits were being filed daily on "my group is better than your group" issues.

CT has currently gotten vaccinations (1st shot) into almost 25% of it's population.  2nd shot is already in almost 10% but folks with the first shot already have appointments for the second.

There are many options available.

State mass vaccination sites.

Drug stores.

Senior Centers.

Local church groups.

8 hours ago, Scrapr said:

I guess all us vaxers are providing herd immunity for her

Thus proving her "right" about herd mentality, yes?  I can think of better ways to go than a slow gasping drowning/waterboarding (without the water) death over a matter of weeks when I just could have gotten a shot instead.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Thus proving her "right" about herd mentality, yes?  I can think of better ways to go than a slow gasping drowning/waterboarding (without the water) death over a matter of weeks when I just could have gotten a shot instead.

The answer remains a relatively simple one - get vaccinated (you did, lucky bastard!).  Once all the folks wanting & able to be vaccinated ARE vaccinated, then it shifts the equation from "them" killing you to "you" killing them (or them killing each other).  The ball is in THEIR court to avoid folks due to risk of catching COVID, and no longer one which you need to even think about except as it pertains to the few folks in your life who may want but be unable to be vaccinated.

Of course, the un-vaccinated may provide a nice breeding ground for mutations to vaccine-resistant strains, but it seems we at least have a better process in place to develop and distribute vaccines than we did 15 months ago.

• Heart 1