We got him

Airehead

12 hours ago, Further said:

Happy for the dog and DP, specially the dog. I see lots of Huskies getting walked round the lake, and they aren't smiling...

I love Huskies, Malamutes and the like. Beautiful dogs, but very strong-willed..also VERY pack-oriented. They can be very destructive if left alone for very long. Only way I would have another is after I retire if we wind up in a cooler climate than Arizona for some reason. 

• Heart 1

He doesn't seem to understand things here yet.  He is very good if he is with me all the time.  Seems to be more of a man[s dog than a woman's.  That could well be that the musher who he was with most of his life was a man.  The woman he was with the last few weeks didn't get along with him well.   Wants me with him all the time.  Going through several rescue people in the last 2 months may have caused that. Looking at pictures and video on the former owner's facebook it looks like he was a nice happy dog.  Now he acts like a clingy insecure kid.

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

He doesn't seem to understand things here yet.  He is very good if he is with me all the time.  Seems to be more of a man[s dog than a woman's.  That could well be that the musher who he was with most of his life was a man.  The woman he was with the last few weeks didn't get along with him well.   Wants me with him all the time.  Going through several rescue people in the last 2 months may have caused that. Looking at pictures and video on the former owner's facebook it looks like he was a nice happy dog.  Now he acts like a clingy insecure kid.

IMO he will adjust to a proper home.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Six weeks of adjustment will give you a stable sweet boy.  2 to learn the rules, 2 to push and see if he can break them and then 2 to settle in.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

It is too warm for a run this morning but I took him our for a fast canicross walk. We did just over 2 miles at about 5 mph.  It was slow enough that deer droppings, groundhog dens, rabbits and other things along the trail were distractions. I did learn that when he gets used to being here he may be my best command leader.  He knows Gee and Haw, Gee over and Haw Over, Gee and Haw about, Hike, On bye. He understands all the normal mushing commands.  He acted like he had never seen horses before. When he saw them he seemed to forget everything he knew. He is great when he is with me but he doesn't like to be left alone.

He likes the girls.  Haven't had any big disagreements with the boys but they are still learning where he fits in the pack.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1