Hey RG - bike shops in NYC? Folding bikes?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by smudge,

Hell if I know where to get one, but I don't think they would ride too badly.  I think I looked a little, and decided that they were likely to be a pain in the ass, heavy, and dirty to carry around with you if it rained even a little, but I didn't investigate too deeply.  Where in NJ does she live?  What does she want the bike for, specifically?

What do you think?  My daughter lives in a very small apartment so she is thinking of a folding bike, but I would think they ride like ass.  What do y9ou think?  She lives in Jersey, but close to the city - any good bike shops?

One bike doesn't take up a lot of room in an apartment, especially if there's a way to have a hook on the wall or in the ceiling to store in vertically. Would you be able to do this? For commuting and city riding, is the folding feature going to be something she needs?

The reason I ask is because there are going to be some tradeoffs going to a folding bike. It might be a solution to a problem that can be fixed in other ways. 

One bike doesn't take up a lot of room in an apartment, especially if there's a way to have a hook on the wall or in the ceiling to store in vertically. Would you be able to do this? For commuting and city riding, is the folding feature going to be something she needs?

The reason I ask is because there are going to be some tradeoffs going to a folding bike. It might be a solution to a problem that can be fixed in other ways. 

I would think the folder would be a lot easier to carry up the steps, or even keep the trunk of her car, but you're right, the trade-off in ride may not be worth it.  But if she continues to be a city-dweller, a folder might be just the ticket.

The big advantage I see with a folder is if one has to take a bus or train as part of a regular cycling commute, or if storing it at home or at work involves an extremely limited storage space, a narrow and winding staircase or both. That's where such bikes shine.

http://www.commuterbikestore.com/folding-bikes.html

I think Ian has an old Dahon...I know he and one of the Chicago Brits have ones of a similar age...  Her best bet is to ride one,,,and ride it enough to fold it and take on the train with her and then...put it back to riding...and find what works for her between ease of assembly and ride-ability.  I think one of the newspaper reporters here got to ride a folding bike for a month and report on it...I will UTFG and see if I can find it.

The Bike E looks like a person would be slipping down the front of the frame!

The vid for the Brompton makes it looks pretty cool! I like how it snaps with certainty. There's no wondering if it's in the right position or not. Hmmm, Maybe smudge needs a Brompton for her NYC trip!!  ;)

The Bike E looks like a person would be slipping down the front of the frame!

The vid for the Brompton makes it looks pretty cool! I like how it snaps with certainty. There's no wondering if it's in the right position or not. Hmmm, Maybe smudge needs a Brompton for her NYC trip!!   ;)

I have ridden a Bike E, you feel kind of cramped on it for a recumbent.  Fun, though, good turning radius for a recumbent, too.  

Recumbents are fun novelties.

There are some Canadian folks on Crazy Guy  who have toured all over the place on Bike Friday's....they look pretty awesome too.

On the other hand....I store my Madone in my dining room during the riding "season" and carry it up 2 flights of stairs on a regular basis.  I have also hauled my Terry upstairs several times....however we are talking 2 flights of like 8 stairs each...What is harder is getting in and out of the garage when the fan is going :rolleyes:   you need to pull or push on the door to make it budge...and then  squeeze the bike through.