I am no longer the father of a Cub Scout

jsharr

Like….

My father started a Cub Scout Pack when I was old enough to join because there was none in our area at the time.  He also started a Boy Scout troop so that we would have something to move on to when the time came.  He turned the Boy Scout troop over to someone else before I moved on.  When I first joined Little League baseball, he realized that there were a bunch of boys my age and a year older that were not going to make the one team from my area.  He convinced the powers that be to start and finance another team and he coached it during my and my younger brother's time.  It gave a lot of kids a chance to play and develop that never would of had the chance.  So in addition to him being by dad he was my first baseball coach and my first scout leader.  It wasn't until many years later that I came to fully appreciate the efforts he made and the influence he had on not just my young life but the lives of many others my age.  

So Jsharr, I can appreciate where you're at and what you have invested in.  Good job - my hat's off to you.

• Heart 1

He has asked me "Can you just be my dad?" more than once at things. 

But you have shown your son the importance of putting self aside for the good of others, how to be a leader, a teacher, to give of your time, how to share what you know and learn what you don't, and you set a quiet example for him and the other Cub Scouts who then absorbed what you told them but absorbed much more by watching your actions.

What your son didn't realize, you see, is during the time you did all that you were just being his dad. :nod head:

• Heart 1

Jsharr, I very much enjoyed reading that. You sound like an incredible dad and the kind of person I would enjoy knowing IRL. Your son will look back one day and remember all that you did to ensure he was given a wonderful opportunity and be very thankful that his dad was the man you are today. While such things are bittersweet, this stage of his and your life is drawing to a close. But a new stage is beginning. And I can assure you from experience that this new stage is glorious and worth every ounce of energy you put into it. My son is 24. He has grown into an amazing young man. And though I will always be his father, we share a relationship truly as friends. And I look back on all the effort and time I put into guiding his growth into adulthood and it was worth it all. He and his wife spent the morning with me and my wife practicing archery I the rain today. And we had a blast.

Keep up the good work.
Peace.

• Heart 1