Sugar package says "Naturally fat free"

MoseySusan

:blink:

I know this at 6 am because the hummingbirds are up with the sun, but the feeders are empty because I didn't fill them last night before going to bed.  We came home late from a men's soccer game that went into overtime.  So, I'm making nectar with some fat-free sugar.   

• Heart 1

I figure a hummingbird wouldn't notice fat --might even be helpful if it DID have fat.  Apparently, a hummingbird in flight burns as much energy per-pound as a small helicopter or light plane in flight.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/humm/EnergyTorpor.html

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/introducing_birds/hummingbirds/

We have about ten birds who visit our feeders, and they're dive bombing each other, flaring their tails, twittering, and sparring...  There's a whole lotta kinetic going on in those tiny bodies.  My BIL said they weight about the same as a nickle.

I'd rather have a sweetener with a "Naturally fat free" label than one which reads "Unnaturally fat free." That second option would make me queasy.

Have you tried Olestra?

Starting in 1996, an FDA-mandated health warning label read "This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olestra

I remember when Olestra came on the market. My first reaction was "Yuck!" And now, almost 20 years later, I feel the same way.

I'm a compulsive label reader and I'm reluctant to have foods with additives unless I know exactly what they are and what they'll do. And yes, it adds to the time spent in the grocery store. 

Is that "Naturally fat free"  or  "Naturally, fat free"

In the former "naturally" is an adverb modifying the adjective "fat free".  It gives information about how the fat free came about.  In the latter it would describe the state of being (an understood "is") of the condition "fat free".  It then gives information about when the fat free sugar exists.    

• Heart 1

In the former "naturally" is an adverb modifying the adjective "fat free".  It gives information about how the fat free came about.  In the latter it would describe the state of being (an understood "is") of the condition "fat free".  It then gives information about when the fat free sugar exists.    

Ya, that's what I meant.  I was going to diagram that but I broke out in a rash, naturally.

:blink:

I know this at 6 am because the hummingbirds are up with the sun, but the feeders are empty because I didn't fill them last night before going to bed.  We came home late from a men's soccer game that went into overtime.  So, I'm making nectar with some fat-free sugar.   

You can add some vegetable oil to the mix if you want to fatten them up!

1317737462.jpg

• Heart 1