My land line phone

petitepedal
Go to solution Solved by Further,

I took great pleasure in dropping our land line. The phone company was a bunch of rotten crooks. When Esther got her first cell phone and found out how well it worked from home she bought me one too and I had the pleasure of calling the land line company and telling them what they could do with their phone.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

I took great pleasure in dropping our land line. The phone company was a bunch of rotten crooks. When Esther got her first cell phone and found out how well it worked from home she bought me one too and I had the pleasure of calling the land line company and telling them what they could do with their phone.

Did they take your advice?

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

How does this save you money? My non-existent landline costs zero dollars every month.

Crazy as it sounds our cable company arranges their plans so it's cheaper overall to bundle in the land line with cable and internet.  :wacko:

We give the land line number out as a throw away number so the telemarketers call that number instead of our cell phones.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Crazy as it sounds our cable company arranges their plans so it's cheaper overall to bundle in the land line with cable and internet.  :wacko:

We give the land line number out as a throw away number so the telemarketers call that number instead of our cell phones.

My sister in law does that. She has a land line and a number but she doesn’t have a phone connected to it.

I still have a landline because I do a lot of conference calls from work and the sound is much better.  Most of our meetings are now by computer, but as long as I'm working I'll keep the landline for when I need it.  Also, when power was out for a week due to a storm a few years ago, my landline worked even when my cable was out and  the cell phone reception was spotty.

• Heart 1

I converted my landline number to a VoIP number, but with no phone.

I set it to call-forward to my cell.

My service charges very low usage rates and gets very few calls. So instead of $50/month, it's max $50 per year.

I also changed LWoLW's cell number to VoIP in case there are a few leftover two-factor authentication accounts that need to text to that number. There's a portal where I can look up those texts.

By the way...if you want to save even more money, I recommend switching cellular to Red Pocket Mobile. You can get AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon-network SIMs through them.  If you pay annually, a 3GB high-speed data (unlimited slow after that) and unlimited talk/text plan comes to $15/month.  An 8GB high-speed plan is $20/month. I don't think anyone beats those prices, and while it's a little more difficult to port Verizon numbers (I had to port to an AT&T SIM first, then port back to a Verizon one, now I'm set),  the chat support was knowledgeable and courteous, and I've had zero issues on the network, which still says Verizon instead of an alternate carrier, and I saved a ton of green. They also have a 1GB plan for $10/month if you hardly use data services at all.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Allen said:

My land line is bundled with my internet. I keep it because it has better reception than my cell phone

I just turned on wi-fi calling for both of our cell phones.  

2 hours ago, dennis said:

I've never seen a jack.

You won't find any phone jacks in our home.    We both have cell phones. 

We had a land line at the old home for years...  99% (or more) of the calls were crap...  

I could not see the point of paying to install wiring when we built our home, that we would most likely never use.

• Heart 2

I like the convenience of my landline phones and the handling comfort and voice clarity when I'm on the phone for a long time.

My 4 landline phones are located in different rooms and cost about $100.  I don't carry my smartphone around in the house so the landlines are convenient. They also are Bluetoothed to my Smartphone and tell me by voice who I'm getting a call or text message from.

I seldom use my smartphone and it cost $429 (about $125 now at Tracfone) plus $125/year for all the smartphone/text/Internet service I want when out and about.

Works for me.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We haven’t had a land line & ages.  With all of the work we are doing to the house, we actually had all of the land line jacks removed & holes patched. 

I kind of did the same thing. I just cut out the phone wire and we replaced the phone jacks with ethernet jacks. We don't need a ton of ethernet, but it's there if I do. 

15 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We had vonage, got rid of it.  Only got spam calls.

I engineered spam calls when I had a landline that only used with fax machine - but now copy to .pdf and email. Phone hooked up to the line but ringer off. About only time I would use it outbound is if didn't want primary phone "captured" for future spam from the business I called. But on the other side, when filling a form that required a phone number (and email) and I didn't want to hear from them, would give them that number and my original aol email. Particularly useful for political organizations and charities that add you to their fundraising list. Last I checked, I have about 5000 unread emails over there. :frantics:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

23 hours ago, Allen said:

I give scammers utter hell. I am absolutely ruthless with them. 

I don’t answer unknown callers except when I think it might be a doctor or nurse calling. When it turns out it was a spam call it’s never a real person, just a recorded message. How do you get the real person? You must stay on the line longer than me. I disconnect before they can say “We have been trying to reach you”.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t answer unknown callers except when I think it might be a doctor or nurse calling. When it turns out it was a spam call it’s never a real person, just a recorded message. How do you get the real person? You must stay on the line longer than me. I disconnect before they can say “We have been trying to reach you”.

I have one call center that hits my line 3-4 times a week. It’s always a person asking for my late mother’s first name. They will quickly give the last four digits of her social and threaten to cut off her cards if they don’t get money. 
I got the guy at the convenience store to teach me a handful of choice words in Hindi. Feeta  krimi means, tapeworm, btw. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I don't have an iphone /cell phone yet.

He has one. It's on a different plan than his Internet.

I have high speed Internet (thank god I switched just before the pandemic) which is god-sent for the work I do from home full-time for past 12 months. I am remoting into my office work computer at corporate headquarters and via the corporate network to get into applications. My job requires 90% use of corporate enterprise applications.  It is very rare, I'm working off-line.

With my landline and Internet, monthly total cost is $64.00CAN. I get superior high speed Internet through my plan.

• Heart 1

On 3/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, Dirtyhip said:

Landline? 

Unless you are a biz, I don’t see the point to it. 

Even then, the only reason is if you have an elevator (POTS landlines are required for 911 in elevators, in case of power failure, as copper generates the necessary low voltage to power the ring). Or occasionally, a fax line, though you could also do digital fax (which is e-mail<->fax) instead of the old fashioned way. If I want to do a fax at work, I scan to email with our printer, then send that scan as a PDF attachment to <faxnumber@digitalfaxservice.com> via e-mail, which handles it beautifully.

VoIP is your best solution for a business.  Good business multiline phone systems have almost entirely evolved to VoIP.