Anyone here own a Honda CR-V Hybrid?

JerrySTL

I read the reviews on the most recent one. It said the hybrid gas savings are so minimal you might as well buy the non-hybrid.

Then again, the non-hybrid has the 1.5L turbo from the Civic that's known to have gas-in-oil dilution issues, moreso than other GDI engines.

When I looked for a slightly sportier car than my Civic (which had the 2.0L i-VTEC) that's the biggest reason I didn't look at a Civic Sport EX hatch or an Si.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

I read the reviews on the most recent one. It said the hybrid gas savings are so minimal you might as well buy the non-hybrid.

Then again, the non-hybrid has the 1.5L turbo from the Civic that's known to have gas-in-oil dilution issues, moreso than other GDI engines.

When I looked for a slightly sportier car than my Civic (which had the 2.0L i-VTEC) that's the biggest reason I didn't look at a Civic Sport EX hatch or an Si.

My sister loves the CR-V. The Honda CR-V is the #1 rated small SUV at Edmunds, the #1 rated small SUV at U.S. News & World Report, the #2 at Kelley Blue Book, #3 at Car & Driver, #6 at Consumer Reports.

I don't know about the hybrid except it's mpg is rated 40 city/35 hwy vs 28 city/34 hwy for the gas model, so the hybrid doesn't seem to do much unless you're an almost exclusively city, stop-and-go driver.  My 2013 Fit is rated 28 city/35 hwy, but should be rated 24 city/40 hwy: if I do at least a 150 mile-each-way trip on mostly interstates at 70-75 mph in my Fit, I usually average at least 37 mpg for the trip (measured by odometer miles and gas pump gallons, not just the car's computer).  I don't know how close to reality the CR-V's ratings are.

My sister retired in Sept. as a cancer research nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital, had a 4-wheel drive 1996 CR-V then bought a 4-wheel drive 2013 CR-V. When snow was bad enough that the National Guard drove her into work, her husband would pick her up in the CR-V rather than his hemi-engine Dodge Truck.

I like the roominess in the Honda CR-V and will want something that size or else HR-V size when I replace my discontinued 2013 Honda Fit (replaced by the larger HR-V) somewhere around 2028. Of course, I'll be looking at other cars, too, by then. I'm going to have to seriously think about an electric car by then - though gasoline engine cars will still be the majority that's on the road until my driving days probably end sometime in the 2030's if I'm fortunate to stay in good health into my mid or late 80's.  I was also very impressed with the roominess and safety features in a 2019 Subaru Forrester, which ranked #5 to #9 in small SUV's by the same rankers above, but high in mileage and driving smoothness. I drove one for a week while my rear-ended Fit was being repaired.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:24 PM, MickinMD said:

My sister loves the CR-V. The Honda CR-V is the #1 rated small SUV at Edmunds, the #1 rated small SUV at U.S. News & World Report, the #2 at Kelley Blue Book, #3 at Car & Driver, #6 at Consumer Reports.

I don't know about the hybrid except it's mpg is rated 40 city/35 hwy vs 28 city/34 hwy for the gas model, so the hybrid doesn't seem to do much unless you're an almost exclusively city, stop-and-go driver.  My 2013 Fit is rated 28 city/35 hwy, but should be rated 24 city/40 hwy: if I do at least a 150 mile-each-way trip on mostly interstates at 70-75 mph in my Fit, I usually average at least 37 mpg for the trip (measured by odometer miles and gas pump gallons, not just the car's computer).  I don't know how close to reality the CR-V's ratings are.

My sister retired in Sept. as a cancer research nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital, had a 4-wheel drive 1996 CR-V then bought a 4-wheel drive 2013 CR-V. When snow was bad enough that the National Guard drove her into work, her husband would pick her up in the CR-V rather than his hemi-engine Dodge Truck.

I like the roominess in the Honda CR-V and will want something that size or else HR-V size when I replace my discontinued 2013 Honda Fit (replaced by the larger HR-V) somewhere around 2028. Of course, I'll be looking at other cars, too, by then. I'm going to have to seriously think about an electric car by then - though gasoline engine cars will still be the majority that's on the road until my driving days probably end sometime in the 2030's if I'm fortunate to stay in good health into my mid or late 80's.  I was also very impressed with the roominess and safety features in a 2019 Subaru Forrester, which ranked #5 to #9 in small SUV's by the same rankers above, but high in mileage and driving smoothness. I drove one for a week while my rear-ended Fit was being repaired.

The model-year CR-Vs you've noted are ones that don't use the 1.5L turbo engine. These have great reliability, and I could recommend them wholeheartedly.

Starting 2017, all CR-Vs except the base LX used the 1.5L turbo (the LX used the more reliable 2.0L i-VTEC). The key if you want one that you can drive until the wheels fall off is choosing the right engine. Prior to 2017, the 2.0L was standard across the line.

Trust me, I love Hondas.  Up until my current car, the last four cars I've owned have been Honda or Acura, I'm a big fan. However, there have been some cracks in the reliability of the brand in the past couple years.  I hope they'll resolve that, because their handling is far more precise than the ultra-reliable Toyotas they compete against, and I find their driving position and seats far more comfortable than Toyota as well.  The only reason I did not look at a Civic Sport Touring hatch or Civic Si  for my most recent car last year is that they use versions of that engine. It's also why, in 2020, we only looked at the CR-V LX as a choice for WoLW's car (we ended up going with a Subaru Impreza hatch instead, her choice).

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/honda-appears-weather-quality-issues#:~:text=Honda also has had complaints,owners reported to Consumer Reports.&text=In extreme cases%2C Honda said,result in an engine misfire.

As for the new 2020 hybrid, it's not awful; but you're paying more, getting a more complex vehicle in terms of repairs, and you're not getting so much in increased fuel economy that you're going to get your money back on gas savings any time soon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a31679395/2020-honda-cr-v-hybrid-drive/