I encountered a ballsy "club ride" on Friday afternoon

TrentonMakes

I was driving home from work on a back road posted at 45 mph.   As I approached an intersection I noticed a large group of cyclists headed toward me (a few hundred feet away, on the road I was on); they were riding a slight downgrade and moving at a good clip.  Two of the cyclists moved over into my lane and held their hands up as if they were commandeering the lane - I stopped for them as the whole group, maybe 20 of them, made the left turn in front of me. 

I'm not sure I've seen this before.  Is this common practice?  I happened to be an understanding fellow cyclist, but Joe Motorist probably would have given them an earful (at best).

I think each and every one of the riders waved, which was nice, but I still can't say I endorse this practice.  There was one car behind me, and I was concerned about him hitting me since there's almost no reason you'd ever have to stop here.  The cyclists wouldn't have had to stop if they'd just let us drive through.

In my book there is never any reason to cross the yellow line unless you are passing a stopped vehicle (or sillier situation).  There is a local club here that I don't ride with but know a few that do - they have great weekly write ups from their group leader that I like to follow.  A couple weeks ago he noted with emphasis that some in their group were occasionally crossing the yellow on some of their rides.  It was very clear to him the practice had to stop.

Rude, selfish, and unsafe.  That's the kind of behavior that encourages low-IQ motorists to push a lone cyclist into a ditch in retaliation.  I'd suggest visiting the web sites of local cycling clubs and see if their listed rides match up with the time/date you saw this.  If one seems to match then write the club about this behavior, your objections to it, and request they discontinue it.

• Heart 2

Yeah, the advocacy/retaliation angles are definitely of concern.  Might be a wild goose chase trying to track this down but I'll see what I can find out.  I can't see the local Freewheelers ride list without signing up and I know a lot of local shops have regular rides.

Given the [affluent] area where this occurred I'm not surprised there were people who felt entitled to whatever part of the road they wanted. 

Given the [affluent] area where this occurred I'm not surprised there were people who felt entitled to whatever part of the road they wanted. 

If you see a group of riders pull this stunt again, I suggest you approach the intersection and put on your right directional then make the right turn.

A  s-l-o-w  right turn...

• Heart 2

Was George Hincapie in this group? He does this in Greenville all the time. But here, we must all stop our cars and bow our heads.

Never look directly at George

You should name a street after him.

Edit - Maybe rename Pete Hollis Blvd. to Hincapie Drive.  Who was Pete anyway?

• Heart 2