F*ck f^ck f(ck UPDATE I got it!

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by 2Far,

I dropped the plastic tile grout sample down into the oven vent at the back of my range. Odds of it falling right into that vent slot have to be astronomical. Sucks so much to be me. 

Appliance service department opens at 9:00 AM Monday. I hope my odds of getting a tech out to the house before Thursday afternoon are as good as the odds that plastic sample would fall into the range vent. 

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

Since this involves an oven, I don't really understand what happened, but I'm sorry because it doesn't sound good.  I always keep one of those small claw tools around for grabbing things out of tight places, but It doesn't sound like that would help here.  I hope it works out!

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Since this involves an oven, I don't really understand what happened, but I'm sorry because it doesn't sound good.  I always keep one of those small claw tools around for grabbing things out of tight places, but It doesn't sound like that would help here.  I hope it works out!

I wish. The vent hole is a skinny little space less than an inch in width. I can only guess where the plastic piece is sitting down inside there. When the oven is running, there’s hot air blowing out of this vent.

22 minutes ago, Further said:

Try running the oven for just a minute to see if the air will blow the sample out

mr.thought we would try that. I’m wondering if it’s in the fan blades, though. I don’t know where it is. I’d rather pay a service person to take the back off the range and pick it out than to replace a fan. 

1 minute ago, jdc2000 said:

Forceps, or a stick with some duct tape wrapped on the end sticky side out.

I could try this. Just fish around down there to try and catch it. 

On Christmas Day, the whole family went to see a movie. The theater has reclining seats, and #1 dropped her cell phone between the cushion. So, we fished around for it a little, checked underneath, couldn’t find it. She pushed the button to bring the seat upright a little thinking it would free up some space, but the phone was stuck in the mechanism. We heard it crushing as the seat moved upright again. It was a very sad moment. 

I don’t know where this plastic piece is. I can’t see it when I shine a flashlight into the vent. Not sure I want to disturb too much down inside there.

Another idea mr. had is to shake the range back and forth and see if it drops out the bottom. 

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I bet if you pull the oven out, the vent area has a cover.  Probably most of the back.  8 to 10 screws and reach in and take it out.  I'm visualizing it...

I already looked. Half the fixtures are little rivets. 

Reminds me of the time I’m processing a vehicle that was used in a shooting.  A spent casing is on the dash up against the windshield and I try to recover it by sticking a pen in the casing.  As I’m carefully retrieving it I hit my elbow on the A pillar, it slides off the pen and falls into the freaking vent?!?!  

The Sergeant standing there says, way to go Kojak.  Damn I felt like an idiot.

We had to impound the vehicle anyway but they tore that dash apart to get the bullet casing...

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

As I’m carefully retrieving it I hit my elbow on the A pillar, it slides off the pen and falls into the freaking vent?!?!  

That’s a one in a million shot. Either a good day to buy a lottery ticket, or a bad day to sign the mortgage papers. 

45 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Can you believe this little plastic sample fell right into that vent opening?

That is what those vent openings are for - service calls to the repair man.  It might be time for some stainless steel screen-door type screen to be fitted behind those openings to prevent another occurrence.

2 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

That is what those vent openings are for - service calls to the repair man.  It might be time for some stainless steel screen-door type screen to be fitted behind those openings to prevent another occurrence.

mr. checked the internet, and there are lots of postings about stuff falling into these vents. Food splashes into them, mostly. 
We won’t be grouting again. 

17 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Forceps, or a stick with some duct tape wrapped on the end sticky side out.

I got similar stuff out of a heating duck with straightened-out clotheshanger wire, bent slightly at an end with duct tape to get something that fell into it.

I would have said that a small piece of grout in the vent might not be a problem, but if it's plastic that's a different story.

There's also the possibility it got hot and is a little melted onto a bolt etc and hard to remove.  Hopefully a professional will have a mini-camera to look inside.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Did she suggest looking in the oven?  Grace is a smart lady!

No, reference to a roach suggested looking in the oven. I used to live in a part of town where all the rental properties had a roach control hotline. Roaches  were always up in the oven, and they must have crawled in there somehow.
So, I thought to check the lower oven for openings to the vent. Maybe those openings were a shorter distance to the fallen piece of plastic than from the range top. 
Behold! There it was, God bless it. 

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

No, reference to a roach suggested looking in the oven. I used to live in a part of town where all the rental properties had a roach control hotline. Roaches  were always up in the oven, and they must have crawled in there somehow.
So, I thought to check the lower oven for openings to the vent. Maybe those openings were a shorter distance to the fallen piece of plastic than from the range top. 
Behold! There it was, God bless it. 

What I'm hearing is you aren't ready for a new range yet, so decided to work through finding the lost doodad.  Admirable, but so NOT 2021.  Probably should have disconnected it, dumped it at the curb, and went shopping for a new one.  I assume you wanted to avoid the hassle of trying to find a new matching vent/fan, though, and that is understandable.

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What I'm hearing is you aren't ready for a new range yet, so decided to work through finding the lost doodad.  Admirable, but so NOT 2021.  Probably should have disconnected it, dumped it at the curb, and went shopping for a new one.  I assume you wanted to avoid the hassle of trying to find a new matching vent/fan, though, and that is understandable.

Has anyone mentioned lately that you are a dolt and a moran?

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Has anyone mentioned lately that you are a dolt and a moran?

What part of "assumed due to being a n00b" don't you get????  Jeebus.  It comes with the territory.  It still doesn't explain why she didn't choose to go buy a new range with all the bells and whistles, though.

There are two differences between this range and others I’ve owned that are taking a while to get used to. 
The oven controls are on the front instead of on a raised console at the back of the top. I have to remember not to drop stuff into the open vents back there where there used to be oven controls. 
There are two ovens, one smaller than the other and one with convection capability. 
The hood matches the range, though. Same manufacturer and line. It will also take getting used to because I’ve only ever had an over-the-range microwave.

21 hours ago, roadsue said:

This comment made me think I wasn’t looking at the situation quite right. So I opened the bottom oven to look at how it’s put together, and noticed the little f*cker sitting on top of the metal plate that disburses the gas flame across the oven top. Chopsticks and some help from mr., and we retrieved it. 
Can you believe this little plastic sample fell right into that vent opening? 

12F78407-3D90-4579-AEA5-01AFDEBA939C.jpeg

I can believe it. I once dropped the key to the work van I was driving. It just slipped out of my hand. There was a round opening in the sidewalk, like where a flag pole would get inserted. The key fell right in that hole without even touching the sides. <panic mode> I was 60 miles from home! Luckily, the van was not locked and I had my work tools. I had a short screwdriver with a magnet in the handle, but it was too short to reach into the hole. I had to improvise and used long hemostats (used for work!) to hold the screwdriver and reach into the hole. The only thing magnetic was a small clip attaching the key to the key tag. It took a while, but I got it out without having to call for help! </panic mode>

• Awesome 1