Square Wheels Cycling

...and to some degree sad as well, but cycling seems to have moved beyond Peter Sagan as THE FOCUS for the big one day races.  It may be interesting to see if that carries into the TdF as well.

But, this year (and to some degree last year), it is the "new kids".

Wout Van Aert, Mathieu van der Poel, Thomas Pidcock & Julian Alaphilippe are all the "rage" right now with predictions for the various races (justifiably!), and it will be interesting if Bennett - who is still looking good in the sprints - can return the green jersey into a true sprinter's jersey as opposed to "most consistent" category.

I still think he's great, but there are so many people gunning for his green that it's hard at his age to keep up.

I hope he gets green this year at TdF, but they really seem against him winning it.  They kicked him out of the tour where Cav crashed into Peter, and took away points last year in what was a good sprint.

Last year was kind of an odd year with C19 restructuring so I’ll give Sagan a pass but... He is getting older & the kids are drilling it so his days could be numbered.  

Isn’t Sagan about the same age Cavendish was when he started fading?

On 3/22/2021 at 11:33 AM, Razors Edge said:

...and to some degree sad as well, but cycling seems to have moved beyond Peter Sagan as THE FOCUS for the big one day races.  It may be interesting to see if that carries into the TdF as well.

But, this year (and to some degree last year), it is the "new kids".

Wout Van Aert, Mathieu van der Poel, Thomas Pidcock & Julian Alaphilippe are all the "rage" right now with predictions for the various races (justifiably!), and it will be interesting if Bennett - who is still looking good in the sprints - can return the green jersey into a true sprinter's jersey as opposed to "most consistent" category.

I think VDP & Van Aert are more than all the rage but generational talents.  They have been dominating the Elite Cyclocross scene as teenagers so I’m not surprised they are doing well now.  I think they would have given a in his prime Sagan a run for the money.

17 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I think VDP & Van Aert are more than all the rage but generational talents.  They have been dominating the Elite Cyclocross scene as teenagers so I’m not surprised they are doing well now.  I think they would have given a in his prime Sagan a run for the money.

I think he is "safe" in the race for green versus them, but will be challenged for sure in the one day races - like MSR, Flanders, Roubaix.  In the race for green, Bennett showed it could be won by a "pure" sprinter (with extra talent) and Michael Matthews may also be a type to challenge Sagan. The right team, the right tactics, and a desire to get points on more than just the flat sprint stages will be what other folks need to make Sagan really struggle to keep nabbing green. And, yes, age, penalties, and/or injuries are all what will either slow or end his run at green jerseys.

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think he is "safe" in the race for green versus them, but will be challenged for sure in the one day races - like MSR, Flanders, Roubaix.  In the race for green, Bennett showed it could be won by a "pure" sprinter (with extra talent) and Michael Matthews may also be a type to challenge Sagan. The right team, the right tactics, and a desire to get points on more than just the flat sprint stages will be what other folks need to make Sagan really struggle to keep nabbing green. And, yes, age, penalties, and/or injuries are all what will either slow or end his run at green jerseys.

I dunno about that.  I think Van Aert can sprint & climb well enough to win green like Sagan did, if his team lets him focus on it.  I hope VDP gets a chance to ride the tour as I’d love to see what he can do in that setting.

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I dunno about that.  I think Van Aert can sprint & climb well enough to win green like Sagan did, if his team lets him focus on it.  I hope VDP gets a chance to ride the tour as I’d love to see what he can do in that setting.

I meant "safe" because Wout is going to go for stage wins and potentially a bigger role than going after green.  If he focused on it - and the team actually "allowed" it - then he would be a legit competitor for Sagan. So, yes, I think those young guys could be threats, but their talents and the team management may direct them in other directions.

• Like 1