Downside of CA Riding - SAND!

Razors Edge

Question

As I ride along the coast, sand is the one thing that messes with my drivetrain.  :(  I'm not really sure what the best approach to the grit that seems to come back quick.  I notice it in particular on the chain-to-chainring area where you can hear the grit getting crushed and messing with the drivetrain. 

I'm wondering what can be done to keep it from becoming more and more destructive over time.  I don't think washing the bike down after each ride makes sense, and lubing it more often doesn't seem to help, so what do folks think will help the most?  Maybe a certain type of lube?  A different post-ride routine? Anything?

What do you do, @ChrisL?  Sand is the devil!

3 answers to this question

Yeah beach sand is a beotch.  I try not to ride through it when it gets on the path but sometimes it’s unavoidable.

I clean & lube my drive train frequently & always after riding through sand.  My wife once used a bathroom at the beach and her bike fell drivetrain down into the sand... Oh man that was a crunchy ride home...

I used Clean Ride and lately have been using a different paraffin based chain lube who’s name escapes me.  Sand doesn’t stick to it like wet lubes.  I use WD40 liberally on the chain & wipe it down with a rag.  I stagger my fingers in the rag so the chain runs through the rag & fingers similarly to the derailure pulleys.  This gets the sand out pretty well.  

• Heart 1

You are generalizing California riding. California is not all beaches and palm trees.  If you don't want sand in your chain, then don't ride in the sand while in California, duh! 

I have ridden all along Pacific Coast Hwy and never experienced the grit crushing you mention. I use dry lube, Finish Line works best for me. No wet splatter on the legs or frame.