Tonight's Final Jeopardy Clue (3-24)

Some Old Guy

In case you want some time to think about it.  I think this is an interesting bit of trivia.    :)

Category:  International Business:

Clue:  The “effect” named for this company founded in 1943 refers to increased value of a product to a consumer whose own labor is needed.

Answer:

Spoiler

What is "IKEA"?

15 minutes ago, Clark said:

In case you want some time to think about it.  I think this is an interesting bit of trivia.    :)

Category:  International Business:

Clue:  The “effect” named for this company founded in 1943 refers to increased value of a product to a consumer whose own labor is needed.

Answer:

Hide contents

What is "IKEA"?

I guessed wrong. 

• Heart 1

This amplifying info from the https://thejeopardyfan.com site is interesting.

Spoiler

"The IKEA Effect, named after famous Swedish manufacturer and furniture retailer IKEA, dates from a 2011 study that reported that people were willing to pay over 60% more for items that they had made themselves, due to the fact that people intrinsically place more value into an item that they have assembled themselves. This obviously can have advantage for manufacturers as well, as then they only need to provide the raw materials to the consumer, who can then assemble things into the finished product."

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Clark said:

This amplifying info from thejeopardyfan.com site is interesting.

Hide contents

"The IKEA Effect, named after famous Swedish manufacturer and furniture retailer IKEA, dates from a 2011 study that reported that people were willing to pay over 60% more for items that they had made themselves, due to the fact that people intrinsically place more value into an item that they have assembled themselves. This obviously can have advantage for manufacturers as well, as then they only need to provide the raw materials to the consumer, who can them assemble things into the finished product."

That is truly bizarre!

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Has anyone ever heard of or used the phrase “the IKEA effect”? I certainly have not.

I have in doctoring school.  Along with terms like sunk cost bias.

This is from some guys at HArvard--

The “IKEA Effect”: When Labor Leads to Love

When instant cake mixes were introduced in the 1950’s as part of a broader trend to simplify the life of the American housewife by minimizing manual labor, housewives were initially resistant: The mixes made cooking too easy, making their labor and skill seem undervalued. As a result, manufacturers changed the recipe to require adding an egg; while there are likely several reasons why this change led to greater subsequent adoption, infusing the task with labor appeared to be a crucial ingredient (Shapiro 2004). Similarly, Build-a-Bear offers people the “opportunity” to construct their own teddy bears, charging customers a premium even as they foist assembly costs onto them, while farmers offer “haycations,” in which consumers must harvest the food they eat during their stay on a farm.

I've honestly never considered anything I put together from Ikea as "better" or more valuable than a similar item that came pre-assembled.  I definitely would not pay MORE for Ikea stuff, and consider Ikea a "discount" store.  Does anyone go to Ikea looking to pay a premium?????

On 3/25/2021 at 2:13 PM, Razors Edge said:

Does anyone go to Ikea looking to pay a premium?????

No. I see it as a) college furniture or early career apartment, b) teen at home who will destroy any furniture or c) shelving for pantry or recreation room. Or a TV stand for an partially finished basement.

I bought an IKEA desk for my 16 yo son for school from home during Covid. If I needed a new home office desk, that wouldn’t be where I’d have purchased it.

19 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I once built an IKEA dining room table and chairs and it was a total POS, and a totally frustrating assembly task.

I actually don't mind assembling the stuff, but when you do assemble it, you realize it is not all that great!  What makes it fun (for me) is to not follow the instructions and see how far I get before I realize I did something crucial wrong or finish but have way too many extra bits.  Disassembly and reassembly can be fun too. :D

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

shelving for pantry or recreation room

I think we have one or two Ikea bookshelves in our library room.  A couple more of similar look came from Target and seem identical in quality and size.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:14 AM, Airehead said:

I dislike him intensely.  I hope everyone else thinks the same thing and he is gone in a flash. 

Exactly why I'm not watching. Jeopardy! is supposed to be about facts. Having Dr. Oz host it is an antithesis to that premise.

• Heart 1

I find it either funny or sad that the Jeopardy kerfuffle seems to be even bigger than the Columbia kerfuffle.  Does Jeopardy outrank Columbia in the pantheon of knowledge? 

OK, maybe it is just perspective, because lots of doctors and such apparently signed the request to Columbia to axe him, plus it was a few years ago.  Hmm, there is also the AMA.