Who will have their home done first?

Dirtyhip

Who will move in first?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which household will be all done with construction and have a livable home first?

• Dr. Mick
    • The Hip One?

Just now, Randomguy said:

I would have said Dr. Mickin, since his started first.  That said, there is a bureaucracy at work behind the scenes for his places, whereas DH is hands-on and knocking stuff out of the to do list in a hands-on way.

This will be interesting as we close in on April.  I should have tar paper today, and they are starting on siding next week.  

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would have said Dr. Mickin, since his started first.  That said, there is a bureaucracy at work behind the scenes for his places, whereas DH is hands-on and knocking stuff out of the to do list in a hands-on way.

I think this ^^

I just got my flooring and drywall/paint scheduled.  We’ll be done by the second week in May.  

• Heart 1

What expected finish date are they giving you DH?

Mine is saying the end of April is the target and the 1st two weeks of May the cushion.  My apartment rent is being paid by State Farm through May 31st, so it better be ready then at the latest.

The USPS forwards mail for free for 1 year and that ends on Apr. 18th for me (yeah, it took the SOB's 6 weeks to set it up last year), so I need to have a mailbox set up at the house by then.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Constructions workers on DH's projects have been known to "disappear" if they get behind.  Hip for the win here.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

What expected finish date are they giving you DH?

Mine is saying the end of April is the target and the 1st two weeks of May the cushion.  My apartment rent is being paid by State Farm through May 31st, so it better be ready then at the latest.

The USPS forwards mail for free for 1 year and that ends on Apr. 18th for me (yeah, it took the SOB's 6 weeks to set it up last year), so I need to have a mailbox set up at the house by then.

They won't commit to any date, and we have been nice about it.  They did see that enormous grave that my husband dug.  :foryou:

I have been thinking about my mailbox.  That is one of our next projects.  I plan to install a Fort Knox style with a lock.  Mail theft is becoming more of a problem.  

8 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I'm going with DH because she's not dealing with the insurance companies 

My contractor answered one of our questions about what we can and cannot do about our jobsite.  He said "There is no bank.  You basically can do whatever you want."  I said "I love hearing that. "  :D

The owner of the company loves us, because we apparently are the fastest payers in the West.  :D  I hand deliver our check about a day after receiving the monthly bill.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Does anyone want to change their vote?

I've got windows, doors and house wrap.  Siding is going on too.  

@Scrapr voted for me, and he is a good gauge of how construction goes along.

All because of the insurance company getting in the middle. Even if Dr Mickin wants a change it would probably be best if he let the contractors finish according to plan & then making changes after the insurance company is out. You'll have a slowdown while drywall is doing. Typically takes 2 weeks or better to hang, tape & finish, Heard this am there are back orders on lots of things. Appliances were at the top of the list. TJI, door casings, & TP(!!!)

watching your thread. 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, Dirtyhip said:

They won't commit to any date, and we have been nice about it.  They did see that enormous grave that my husband dug.  :foryou:

I have been thinking about my mailbox.  That is one of our next projects.  I plan to install a Fort Knox style with a lock.  Mail theft is becoming more of a problem.  

When my FIL was alive, their neighborhood had a rash of mailbox vandalism but the in-laws seemed to get the worst of it. FIL had a metalworker make one just like his last couple that had been smashed, but made it out of 1/8th inch plate steel. He said within a couple nights, he heard a thud, a scream, cursing and tires squealing. He went out to find their broken bat by the mailbox. He gave it to the police and they got enough fingerprints to tie it to some kids who were bad news! The mailbox went down on its own last year. The post rusted out!

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

All because of the insurance company getting in the middle. Even if Dr Mickin wants a change it would probably be best if he let the contractors finish according to plan & then making changes after the insurance company is out. You'll have a slowdown while drywall is doing. Typically takes 2 weeks or better to hang, tape & finish, Heard this am there are back orders on lots of things. Appliances were at the top of the list. TJI, door casings, & TP(!!!)

watching your thread. 

Two weeks for drywall?  You know the size of my house, right?

Our appliances were ordered months ago.  Only waiting on the fridge.

I am hoping the sub ordered my heating unit.  Hope so.

17 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Two weeks for drywall?  You know the size of my house, right?

Size of the house isn't really a factor. 1 day hanging. 3-5 days taping (3 coats) , 1 day texture. Then you have to schedule. There probably are a day or 2 in between ea function. hangers don't tape or spray. Tapers only tape, etc. Tape has to dry between coats as well. One of my ex employees works for biggest production drywall outfit. IIRC the fastest he could get a job turned is 10 days. You have weekends off too

repeat after me...it is what it is :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Size of the house isn't really a factor. 1 day hanging. 3-5 days taping (3 coats) , 1 day texture. Then you have to schedule. There probably are a day or 2 in between ea function. hangers don't tape or spray. Tapers only tape, etc. Tape has to dry between coats as well. One of my ex employees works for biggest production drywall outfit. IIRC the fastest he could get a job turned is 10 days. You have weekends off too

repeat after me...it is what it is :D

:foryou:

Thank you.   I don't like the answer, but I accept it.

I wanted to try van life.  It will be really really real in May.  HAHA  "You wanted van life.  Here it is. Enjoy!"  

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

One big unknown is how will we measure success?  

I think it should be all appliances in, and home 95% done.  Livable. 

We may need a judging committee.  I think @Scrapr@ @Kzoo should be on the judging committee.  

I'm an easy grader. WoScrapr & I moved in with no carpet. No patios & no final electrical inspection. So no Certificate of Occupancy. @2Far needs to be on this committee of August skolars

7 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

It might be different in KF. The market might be small enough that the different functions are done by the same crew. My experience since forever (80's) is ea one is seperate

First time I have ever hoped that you are wrong.  HAHA

I think it is the same crew, honestly.   We shall soon see. 

Why did you say August?  That word made me cringe. :mellow:

25 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I'm an easy grader. WoScrapr & I moved in with no carpet. No patios & no final electrical inspection. So no Certificate of Occupancy. @2Far needs to be on this committee of August skolars

What happens if you don't get a cert of occupancy? Fines?

Can you get one , after your couch is in?  LOL

27 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I had a co-worker who bought a 10 acre tract with his dad. They subdivided it, kept 2 for themselves and used the profits to build their houses. CW put in the foundation & roof and built just enough to get a CoA, then put the phantom mortgage payment in the bank every month. About once/year they finished another room or two. Year 6 they put in a nice solar heated pool/spa combo.

18 hours ago, Dottles said:

I won this race back in January.

Not sure about that... wasn't the original completion date in October??     That would be at least 3 months past the due date.

We'll see if Mick or DH go more than 3 months past the due date.:P

I think I'm going to come in 2nd. I'm getting nervous that my apartment contract ends noon May 31st. The contractor last said I'd be in by the 2nd week in May. I hope those two weeks to play with are enough, otherwise I'll be moving in before all is done or sleeping on my sister's or brother's sofas for a while.

I went by the house yesterday and the termite damage repair and extended roof over the basement stairway haven't been done. The exterior looks much like my bare-bones last pictures. The contractor couldn't get the windows until "the end of March" and they and the exterior siding, doors, and roof haven't been started.  I've  been reassured by the contractor's interior expert that, "once the inside sheet rock is up, things will go really fast."

I was supposed to meet with the contractor at the house this AM but that's been moved to Monday.

I feel stressed as I try to quickly pick out the refrigerator (done), washer/dryer, dishwasher, gas range and over-hood microwave and the tile flooring pattern for the kitchen and bathroom - all partly researched.

My sister and BiL are helping big-time but there are still little things I keep having to research they don't completely know and the workers at the hardware stores don't know like: What Does a Steam Feature on a Washer Do? (Home Depot's people only said it was good if you suffer from allergies!).

A steam washer uses a combination of steam and water to clean fabrics. The steam can help to remove wrinkles, make detergent work more efficiently, and sanitize fabrics...steam is a terrific option if you are likely to have very dirty clothing or if you need very clean clothing. It can also be a good choice if you're concerned about wrinkles (or want to avoid ironing as often as possible).

So I have to decide if I want to pay a couple hundred more for the washer/dryer stackable pair that comes with the steam function. Does it do much? is such a washer more likely to break?

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I think I'm going to come in 2nd. I'm getting nervous that my apartment contract ends noon May 31st.

Can you rent monthly after 5/31?  

Moving once sucks...   possibly moving twice is worse.

Tell your builder he needs to finish soon, or he gets to pay your rent after 5/31.    Maybe that will help?

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

What happens if you don't get a cert of occupancy? Fines?

Here the local authority (and the licensing/inspection service in both of my cases had no authority), the township had to serve an evection notice and it had to go through the courts.  The service that both of my townships used had a chief inspector - he signed the occupancy permit - and then individual trade inspectors (electrical, plumbing,....).  I was having an issue with the electrical inspector being a prick but his boss the chief couldn't sign the occupancy until the electrical cleared it.  The chief told me (off the record) to go ahead and move in and correct the picky issues after move in.  His words were, "Not a judge in the state is going to evict you from your own home and it will never come to that because I am the one to take it to the township"

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Not sure about that... wasn't the original completion date in October??     That would be at least 3 months past the due date.

We'll see if Mick or DH go more than 3 months past the due date.:P

:unsure:  

The house is very simple.  No tile, click lock floor and drop in showers that are already on site and in position.

Do you care to change your vote?  HAHA

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Here the local authority (and the licensing/inspection service in both of my cases had no authority), the township had to serve an evection notice and it had to go through the courts.  The service that both of my townships used had a chief inspector - he signed the occupancy permit - and then individual trade inspectors (electrical, plumbing,....).  I was having an issue with the electrical inspector being a prick but his boss the chief couldn't sign the occupancy until the electrical cleared it.  The chief told me (off the record) to go ahead and move in and correct the picky issues after move in.  His words were, "Not a judge in the state is going to evict you from your own home and it will never come to that because I am the one to take it to the township"

This hopeful.  

I am not intending to be in before sheetrock, painting, electrical, water and operational toilets and showers. What I am expecting here is that there may be some cab/counter, and trim work happening, and no garage door.  Our garage door got pushed out to end of June.  We ordered it in Jan.  Texas freeze shut down some chemical plant that is a material for the membrane on the highly insulated door.  They asked if I wanted to get a lesser door.  Nope.  We can wait. 

Appliances are almost all ready to ship.  Waiting on a fridge with a due date of April 26th.  They said 7-10 days after that.  This is somewhat perfect timing for the build. 

I hope our water heater and furnace are ordered.  I assume that is in the pipeline.  My water stuff for the well is in stock at my buddies shop.  

27 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I think I'm going to come in 2nd. I'm getting nervous that my apartment contract ends noon May 31st. The contractor last said I'd be in by the 2nd week in May. I hope those two weeks to play with are enough, otherwise I'll be moving in before all is done or sleeping on my sister's or brother's sofas for a while.

I went by the house yesterday and the termite damage repair and extended roof over the basement stairway haven't been done. The exterior looks much like my bare-bones last pictures. The contractor couldn't get the windows until "the end of March" and they and the exterior siding, doors, and roof haven't been started.  I've  been reassured by the contractor's interior expert that, "once the inside sheet rock is up, things will go really fast."

I was supposed to meet with the contractor at the house this AM but that's been moved to Monday.

I feel stressed as I try to quickly pick out the refrigerator (done), washer/dryer, dishwasher, gas range and over-hood microwave and the tile flooring pattern for the kitchen and bathroom - all partly researched.

My sister and BiL are helping big-time but there are still little things I keep having to research they don't completely know and the workers at the hardware stores don't know like: What Does a Steam Feature on a Washer Do? (Home Depot's people only said it was good if you suffer from allergies!).

A steam washer uses a combination of steam and water to clean fabrics. The steam can help to remove wrinkles, make detergent work more efficiently, and sanitize fabrics...steam is a terrific option if you are likely to have very dirty clothing or if you need very clean clothing. It can also be a good choice if you're concerned about wrinkles (or want to avoid ironing as often as possible).

So I have to decide if I want to pay a couple hundred more for the washer/dryer stackable pair that comes with the steam function. Does it do much? is such a washer more likely to break?

Have faith Mick.  We really are neck in neck.  I will snap a photo today of progress/status.  

21 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I talked to that guy that issues the permits and last time I talked to him I thought we might be finishing the second bath ourselves.  His words were "I don't think we will have a problem cause I am the one to sign your permit."  

Personally, I think the hold up might be cabs/counter, trim and a garage door.  Hopefully not heat issues, but it will be May and we won't need much for heat at that time.