How’s your NHL team doing?

Prophet Zacharia

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I thought they might break out last night against the mostly all AHL-Penguins. Add a substitute coach, they had nothing to lose but the game itself.

How  are the Caps and Flyers?  I'm out of the loop these days, and seem like the Caps-Pens-Flyers hate is severely missing from my life these days. Is that a bronze lining???

Truth be told, with the all Canadian Division, the other divisions are getting little coverage up here so we really have no idea where things sit.

The Leafs are doing well, but I think they are doing okay in a weaker division.  Don't think they are ready to compete with the League big boys come the playoffs 

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How  are the Caps and Flyers?  I'm out of the loop these days, and seem like the Caps-Pens-Flyers hate is severely missing from my life these days. Is that a bronze lining???

Flyers are struggling. They lost 8-3 last night to the Rangers. It’s weird, the way the schedule is set up it’s like mini-playoff series all season long, and it’s hard to get a sense of how teams are playing outside their current matchup. Caps looked old and slow when I saw them earlier this year, but they’ve ripped off a couple of wins in a row now, so :dontknow:. Islanders can’t seem to lose against Boston.

On 3/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Will you be a Kracken fan when they join the league?

Honestly, I like the name.  I also think it's time I actually learned the game.  My knowledge is 'fair' but there's just a lot of rules I'd like to know better.  So yeah, I think I will be.  I don't care about the NBA, MLB, MSL anymore. I'm even starting to lose interest in college football.  It's pretty much the NFL these days and I'm even losing interest there.  Time for a new sport.

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Honestly, I like the name.  I also think it's time I actually learned the game.  My knowledge is 'fair' but there's just a lot of rules I'd like to know better.  So yeah, I think I will be.  I don't care about the NBA, MLB, MSL anymore. I'm even starting to lose interest in college football.  It's pretty much the NFL these days and I'm even losing interest there.  Time for a new sport.

It’s a great sport, and it’s a strict salary capped league. So any team not owned by the Pegulas can be competitive. The officiating can be maddening, but where isn’t it?

A referee was “retired” this week for being heard on a hot mic saying that he was looking for a penalty against one team, and while it wasn’t much of a foul, he jumped on his chance to call it. Officials making calls based on the game situation (score, time on the clock, penalty balance comparing one team to the other, etc) is termed “game management”. Most fans just want the rule book called consistently, if it’s called a penalty in the first period, it should be called in the final minutes, too. Don’t “put away” or “swallow” the whistles in the third period.

It should be easy for Baltimoreans to root for the very successful Washington Capitals whose home arena is a fun place to go for NHL and NBA games.  But Baltimoreans have always felt superior to Washington Sports.

We used to have a very popular minor league hockey team in the 60's and 70's known as the Baltimore Clippers. They had a larger avg. attendance at the old Civic Center than the NBA Baltimore Bullets (now Washington Wizards). 

They blew the chance of joining a short-lived rival (World Hockey League) to the NHL whose larger-city teams were eventually merged into the NHL and the Clippers' minor league collapsed and they disappeared.

Unfortunately, the family owning the rights to the Clippers name refused to let anyone use it and a few tries at hockey teams were attempted under poorly-chosen names like "Skipjacks" that never caught on.  Many of us still remember the words to the Clippers' fight song.

cap space.  Looks like a deal in the works that brings in salary.  Ekholm?  Better not be futures for an old vet.  This team should be selling.

waivers would be to send him to the AHL, at least temporarily.  But any team can claim him.  Probably will.  There's clearly a locker room issue with this team, rumor is he's not a team player.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Coincidence?

I doubt that's it.  And it would be true, if they ever had an identity.

Word is, he's uncoachable.  Teams don't trust guys who won't try to get better.

A player with his offensive skills shouldn't sit on waivers for more than about 10 minutes, yet, there he is.

45 minutes ago, 12string said:

I doubt that's it.  And it would be true, if they ever had an identity.

Word is, he's uncoachable.  Teams don't trust guys who won't try to get better.

A player with his offensive skills shouldn't sit on waivers for more than about 10 minutes, yet, there he is.

Did Hextall draft him, or was he from the previous regime?

18 minutes ago, 12string said:

Who apparently also was not  well liked.

Why don’t the bros like one another? What’s the current vibe with Claude and Jake and Sean as leadership? Because it seems like any time there is a riff in the Flyer’s locker room, the guys who leave win Cups and the guys who stay do not. Brind-A’mor decks Lindros, leaves to captain the Hurricanes to a Cup. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter get traded away for their locker room influence, and go and win two Cups.