Is This A Thing?

Razors Edge

I occasionally hear folks ask if something is "a thing" - ex: Is Zoom bombing a thing these days?

What do you think qualifies something as "a thing" versus, to my understanding, just "an event" or "an occurrence"?

I feel like folks are quick to declare something "a thing" after just a very small set of events, and defined so broadly (everything is a thing :) ), WTF is the point of even saying something is "a thing"???

8 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

For me the definition of "a thing" means it's something that's happening often enough to become trend...you know, when it's often enough to become super annoying.

That's in line with my thinking, but it seems like its not the general usage :(  But folks are morans, so I guess I'll just live with it :(

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I occasionally hear folks ask if something is "a thing" - ex: Is Zoom bombing a thing these days?

What do you think qualifies something as "a thing" versus, to my understanding, just "an event" or "an occurrence"?

I feel like folks are quick to declare something "a thing" after just a very small set of events, and defined so broadly (everything is a thing :) ), WTF is the point of even saying something is "a thing"???

I tend to use 'a thing' as an excuse to not go somewhere,  an in "Thank you for the invitation but I cannot attend as I have a 'thing' that evening." ( Normally meaning 'no-thing')

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is it now “a thing” to declare something “a thing”? I had no idea and have never used such terminology. I would use the term “fad” or “trend” in my query if an activity had gained traction with the general populace.

You've got a kid! Ask them for us.

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Offspring. But I’ll accept my own sense of cultural awareness before I rely on theirs for another year or two. 

Crotchfruit! But, honestly, why not stop (who even started???) calling young goats "kids".  Seriously, when was the last time you use "kid" to mean a young goat versus a crotchfruit?  Only @sheep_herder might do it often, and he is agile enough to adapt if need be.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Offspring. But I’ll accept my own sense of cultural awareness before I rely on theirs for another year or two. 

The next thing you know, we will go back to calling brats “kids” again. 

36 minutes ago, 12string said:

Quite obviously, misuse of the English language is a thing.

A "thing thing" or more of a "permanent thing, so not really a thing" at all?  If a thing is closer to a fad, then I doubt the misuse thing is truly thing-worthy!

4 hours ago, UglyBob said:

For me the definition of "a thing" means it's something that's happening often enough to become trend...you know, when it's often enough to become super annoying.

Agreed, it is a trend-- usually a very short one