Squash Them? Stomp Them? Mush Them? Or Step Over Them?

Razors Edge

By "them", I mean critters like insects or invertebrates you might see on the sidewalk as you walk or trail as you ride, run, or hike?

Like, say a rolly-polly bug (pill bug) is minding its own business and crossing the sidewalk.  Do you stomp it? Try to avoid it? Flick it into the grass? Take it home to the pet iguana? Not notice it?

Two springs ago I was on my MTB and came across hundreds of baby Arroyo Toads that were hopping around near a drying up puddle.  I literally took my shoes off, picked up my bike & tip toed through them as I know they are endangered and really rare where I live. 

I usually don’t veer off my line to save a bug tho...

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

If it's a Spotted Lantern Fly, squash it.  Hard.

I got one with the chainsaw yesterday.  That was satisfying

Those are COOL looking bugs!  And, at a wedding a couple years ago, there were quite a few in the air, and we were told to stomp them!

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Those are COOL looking bugs!  And, at a wedding a couple years ago, there were quite a few in the air, and we were told to stomp them!

Pro tip: They are great jumpers and bad fliers.  But they can't jump twice quickly.  So when you stomp the first time and miss, you'll get them with the second shot every time.

The crawly and wiggly things that invade my carport are given a free ride to the lawn.  I try not to hurt them.  :)

Earthworms, or whatever they are, must be pretty stupid.  They crawl into my carport when it rains to keep from drowning, but seemingly have no plan to return home when it stops.  Many or most of them die and their little hardened carcasses get stuck to the concrete floor.  Very sad.  :(

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

By "them", I mean critters like insects or invertebrates you might see on the sidewalk as you walk or trail as you ride, run, or hike?

Like, say a rolly-polly bug (pill bug) is minding its own business and crossing the sidewalk.  Do you stomp it? Try to avoid it? Flick it into the grass? Take it home to the pet iguana? Not notice it?

I avoid them.  Unfortunately, as I described in another post, a tick didn't avoid me even though I didn't come close to brushing the woods. There was apparently some infection where it attached to me at two different places - creating 1"-long red bruising, but it's healing.