I Find It Odd

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

People seem to get confused about this Saturday or Next Saturday.  Next Saturday is the 10th of April.  This Saturday is the 3rd of April.  

Is this written in stone?  Would seem weird to say Next Saturday sometime in July and know that you were referring to April 10th.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

People seem to get confused about this Saturday or Next Saturday.  Next Saturday is the 10th of April.  This Saturday is the 3rd of April.  

Uh, this Saturday (April 3rd) is, in fact, the NEXT Saturday.  The FOLLOWING Saturday is the 10th.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Uh, this Saturday (April 3rd) is, in fact, the NEXT Saturday.  The FOLLOWING Saturday is the 10th.

At last my job one of the founders got all over me about the use of This & Next.  I refer to This & Next like @Dirtyhip does but the person saw it like you mention above.  So for clarity sake I confirmed the date. Call it this or next I don’t care, we’re meeting April 3rd.  

Co Founder: Right, next Saturday... whatever...

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I find that to be interchangeable, and to mean the same Saturday that is upcoming.  It will always require clarification, much like "Monday is the first day of the week, you dolt".  "The next Saturday after this one" is the clarification that is needed.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I struggle with this.  To my "linear thinking" brain, NEXT Saturday is the next one you are going to have.  I always screw this up.

I tend to defend my stupidness with this definition 

adverb
on the first or soonest occasion after the present
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I struggle with this.  To my "linear thinking" brain, NEXT Saturday is the next one you are going to have.  I always screw this up.

I tend to defend my stupidness with this definition 

adverb
on the first or soonest occasion after the present

YOu do not know what you are talking about.  :)

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

YOu do not know what you are talking about.  :)

Oh I know.  My wife is a 'this weekend, next weekend' type, so I have been told how wrong I am many many times in the last 30+ years.

Maybe this is why Mom always warned me about getting involved in a 'mixed marriage' :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Oh I know.  My wife is a 'this weekend, next weekend' type, so I have been told how wrong I am many many times in the last 30+ years.

Maybe this is why Mom always warned me about getting involved in a 'mixed marriage' :rolleyes:

My husband has learned the proper way of communicating about this and next.  Next being the one after this.  :)

• Haha 1